Dice Etiquette - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dice Etiquette

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dice Etiquette

I was playing a game at a friendís house this weekend. I was having a game with a friend we had no board so we made due with the floor some good all fashioned floor hammer. Well the game started and at a point in the game I noticed my friend doing something odd in my opinion all the time he would roll his dice he would turn to the side and roll them in position so that I could not see what he was rolling this really didnít bother me till I realized we did 4 turns of close combat he had to take about 5 armor saves a turn at 5+ and 2 inv at 4+ with no casualty what so ever im not very familiar with odds but it surprised me. A few more times in the game this kind of thing happened I just wanted to here some of your guys thoughts. I roll all my dice so my opponent can see what I am doing and rolling. I dont want this post to be about he may or may not have been cheating just do you think it would be ok to make it a house rule that everyone have to roll there dice in a clear and open area so that everyone can see what they are doing, and if so how would you bring that to your gaming group not to sound like a bad guy who thinks every one cheats.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Not only do I roll in full view of my opponent, I normally check to see he is watching before doing so. Politeness is king.

I certainly think it would make a good house rule, though it is saddening that it might be required to make it such.
    Last edited by Beardy_Wierdy; September 15th, 2008 at 23:26.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

As a veteran gamer (12 years of dnd) it's always been considered shady if you hide your dice rolls. What we usually do with warhammer is we have a cardboard box (the lid of an old box set works nicely) and we both roll the dice in the box, which prevents models and terrain from being knocked over, and has the added benefit of bringing dice rolls out in the open.

A good way to approach it (and how we started with it actually) is make sure your army is decently painted and bring it up as an issue of protecting your nicely painted models from errant dice.
    The Camden Brigade
    Do good things, good things happen. Do bad things, and kharma hits you with a car.
    20 Bucks. Eat it; Ride it; Hump it. I don't care. - Earl J. Hickey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

We do a similar thing. We have a section of the board cordoned off (we usually play on a ping pong table so there is plenty of room left over) were all dice are rolled - although this never came about from shady rolls but more that we got sick of dice bouncing off models and terrian and getting mixed up with dice that were being used as markers etc.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Same as above really, We always roll in a box on the table using the same Dice, and in front of everyone, so that everyone can see what is going on. There is no need to cheat or lie, its only a game at the end of the day...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At my local gamiing club, we usually have multiple areas of the tabe clear, either from casuties or lack of movement in said area dice normally end up rolled there,
    Along with this there is usually someone watching the games but generally we always atleast have 1 other person watching the rolls to backup any rolls, generally the oponent is this persn but there are cercumsances when they cant see the dice for whaever reason and a "watcher" does so we generaly take their word for it

Cadia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

216 (x7)

Seems a bit ridiculous that he would hide his rolls. A dice box is good if there is no room on the table, or floor, except for scatter dice, which should be rolled as close as possible without causing mayhem.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boxes games workshop vehicles come in make good dice rolling boxes as they are high sided and a good size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I agree that it looks shady. Depending on how good friends you are, it should be easy to say "it looks shady, I would feel more comfortable if you rolled out where we can both see the dice."

In my own experience, we own a ridiculous amount of dice and therefore it is my own practice to leave all my rolls out on the table.

For instance, 10 models shooting. I roll 10 dice and 6 are hits. I gather the 6 hits together and leave them on the table. I gather up the misses, add a couple more dice to my hand and roll 6 to-wounds in a way that they won't tumble into the hit pile. Then I will leave both the hits and wounds on the table until my opponent has rolled his saves. At any moment we can look back and see 6 hits, x wounds, x saves. It really doesn't take any more time than any other way, and it keeps everything out in the open.

Good luck,
    Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Aye I normally always roll out in the open and not only that I always say what I need to roll fist as sometimes it can get mixed up due to a forgotten rule or bad math.

There are a few instances where my opponent doesn't care about seeing the dice (like when they're going to get a drink or going to the bathroom) and say go ahead and roll i'll be back but I always play with friends and not many pick up games and this is usually done with movement only.

We've used the cardboard box system several times but usually find it more convenient to roll on an empty spot on the table just because we're lazy lol
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast