Librarium Online Forums banner

Codex: Galean

960 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Chy'Ken 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my Mini Codex for the Galean (Rep for anybody who knows where that word is from :) ) they are Lightly Armoured Hunting Xenos. I may or may not make them, they are just a creation of boredom...

Codex Galean

A race of raptor like hunters, who use long barrelled firearms. The amazing thing about the firearms is that they fire armour piercing slugs which upon impact of flesh which discharge an Electro-Kinetic Pulse (EKP) and disable their Prey. Theese EKP weapons are vauled by the Galean and are known to pierce the Power Armour of even the Adeptus Astarte, Because of the power and value of the EKP weapons the Galean will destroy their ammunition should they be captured to conceal the secrets of their guns.

Name_______________Range_______STR__AP__Special
Impaler Rifle
==Pursuer__________18"_________3_____5__Assault 2, EKP
==Stalker__________36"_________5_____5__Heavy 1, Rending, EKP
Skiver Rifle
==Pursuer__________12"_________3_____5__Assault 1, EKP
==Stalker__________42"_________X_____4__Heavy 1, Sniper, EKP
Lance Rifle
==Blast_____________30"_________7_____4__Heavy 1, Rending, EKP
==Wave____________Template*___4_____5__Heavy 1, Pinning, EKP (*See Inferno Cannon)
==Radiate__________24"_________7_____1__Heavy 1, Melta, EKP

(Weapons with EKP reduce reduce the targets Armour Save by 1)

Name______________________WS__BS___S___T___W___I___A__Ld__Sv
Hunter_____________________3___4___3___4___1___3___1___7__6+
Stalker____________________3___4___3___4___1___3___1___9__6+
Game Keeper________________3___5___3___4___2___3___2___9__6+
Master of the Hunt_________3___5___3___5___3___3___2__10__6+
Grand Master of the Hunt___3___5___3___6___3___3___2__10__6+

Hq
Master of the Hunt 160

Wargear:
Lance Rifle
CCW
Special Rules:
IC
Fleet
Super Stealthy (+1 Cover Save for entire unit including Master of the Hunt)
Organiser (1 Squad may take Scout USR)

Elites
4 Stalkers 160

Wargear:
Skiver Rifles
CCW
Special Rules:
Fleet
Stealth
Infiltrate

May purchase up to 4 Extra Stalkers for 40 Pts per model
May upgrade 1 Hunter to a Game Keeper for 15 pts
A Game Keeper may replace his Skiver Rifle for a Lance Rifle for 25 Pts

Troops
8 Hunters 120 Pts

Wargear:
Impaler Rifles
CCW
Special Rules:
Fleet
Stealth

May Purchase up to 8 Extra Hunters for 15 Pts per model
May upgrade 1 Hunter to a Game Keeper for 15 pts
A Game Keeper may replace his Impaler Rifle for a Lance Rifle for 25 Pts

Special Characters:
Grand Master of the Hunt 320

Wargear:
Twin-linked Lance Rifle
2 CCW
Special Rules:
IC
Fleet
Super Stealthy (+2 Cover Save for entire unit including Master of the Hunt)
Eternal Warrior
Grand Organiser (+1 to Researve Rolls, 2 Squads may Take Scout)

Instinct Upgrades
Every unit may purchase 1 instinct upgrade for the cost below:
Stable: 40 Points
===Relentless, now count as Heavy Choice
Aggresive: 20 Points
===-2 BS, +1 WS, +1 S, Now count as Elite
Jumpers: 40 Points
===Jump infantry, now count as Fast attack
Accurate: 40 Points
===+1 BS, Now count as Elite

See less See more
#2 ·
Some nifty stuff in there, reminds me of tyranids and tau at the same time.

I think there are a few balancing issues to be worked out. First, impaler rifles are just rediculous with AP3. There are very few handheld weapons that break that threshold, and often you have to pay extra for them. While the idea of a low strength low AP weapon is interesting in theory, in practice (especially on the low cost unit) it will lead to spamming guys where even the shootiest of armies can't keep up. If I were you, I would make a less super gun, maybe a str 3 AP 4 with one setting (rapid fire, or assault 1), and have the impaler be an upgrade for, say one per 4 guys (also, you could make it's strength 4 or 5 to make it worth being upgraded). That way the theory of low str low AP can still be run, but not to the extent where you can spam them and kill everything with massed fire.

I also have a problem with the Skiver rifle's sniper setting. 160 points for 8 guys who have a bs 5 and wound on 4+ AND have AP2. While there being units in the game that can kill terminators is good for strategy, these are just insane. I would suggest both lowering the bs of the Stalkers (remember, even the shooty Tau only get 3s in bs) and making the AP higher. I have no problem with elite snipers (again, a very intruiging concept in theory), but in the current set up, you can get a team that can basically wreck anything infantry with absolutely no difficulty from over half way across the board.

I like the Lance Rifle's ability to fire in 3 modes. Lots of versatility, but again, an AP issue. Frag should be AP 5 or 6, and Krak can stay 2, but IMO should be 3. I would increase the range on those fire modes as well, and make the krak have a little more str punch (maybe a 6 or 8 ). The melta would probably do well to be spun off into a different weapon, and have its range increased to 24". Right now the melta is the only anti-vehicle, so making it so short range seems a little weak.

Not particulary sure why everything has fleet, since they seem to be weak in CC, but maybe there's a method there. If I were you, I'd give them the rule set that allows Tau to move shoot, then move, since that plays more to their strengths. However, I'd only do that if they get lower bses, since right now they pack enough of a punch.

I think you have overpowered units you are trying to make balanced by low saves, but their low costs make them easy to spam. After all, 3 units of stalkers could rip apart basically all infantry anyone fields, to say nothing of the hunter's impaler rifle.

In all it is a cool idea and I would play against them, preferably with some changes, but it would be interesting to see how they went right now.

#4 ·
:D An other codex... :D

You have good ideas, that can be a fun to play.
The AP`s are a bit too good (as mentioned above by DogofWar1). I guess most of the opponents will cry "cheesy". Also I think the LD is too high for a predator (they do not like fight very much, just think about the lion always retreat when a bull get angry). Also Ld 9 is the "fanatic" category. I would use DE Ld stats as they are the closest to Your conception.
The different rifle modes are great!
Do You like Predator movies by the way?

Ps.:
Galea is latin for helmet

#5 ·
Hi there. I've got an idea for how you might represent the armor-penetrating shots that isn't as difficult a balancing issue. Give the guns a special rule which reduces the target's armor save (and cover save?) against them by 1. Then you can just give the guns normal AP values such as 5 or 6 and they would still be great weapons that won't overpower.

Other than that, I'd say make the Master of the Hunt a little pricier with Stealth (+2) so that he worthy of the title.

#7 ·
Wow....... i am, looking at a 1+ cover save. I'd like to note, 30k doesnt have the "instant fail" rule of fantasy, technically.... a 1 isnt always a fail.
But if it were, its still rediculous.

for 140 points your making another squad awesomely better while having a character.

And you can buy relentless special rule for 40 points a squad?

from what i understand:

2 squads of 16 models with AP4 guns, one of which has a character and 3+ cover save by itself (going to ground or actually being in cover gives it a 2+). these guys can move across the board and get 32 shots at ap4 at 12", or stay the hell still, and get 16 shots at ap4 and strength 5 with the RENDING special rule for maximum rape-age of anything with av 10, and a chance... i repeat, a chance, of glancing av 14. All for a measly 15 points per guy, and one character with 140 points.

Necrons can glance ANY vehicle on a 6.. but they are as likely to glance a rhino as they are to glance a landraider.

Anything AV 12 is glanced on a 6 with your army, and av 11 is penned on a 6.
But necrons dont ignore the armour saves of stuff they wound on a 6. They get WBB, but they dont get 4+ invun saves, or the option of being JUMP infantry.

any of those upgrades you buy for your models should modify them to certain army slots.
You've made this army so only 1 single tactic is actually possible. Stand still, and when it gets within 18", fire your other types of shot at it (or if its a bit tougher but low in number, your 36" shots).

What are you expecting imperial guard to do against this army? Use their overwhelming ordinance? that might work, if only you couldnt go to ground with them and get a brilliant cover save, or even get nice, cheap anti tank infiltrators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.