3 way battle - Fantasy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

3 way battle - Fantasy

My friends and I have been playing several 2v1 games lately but we want to look into a 3way battle. There are several potential problems with this and I hope I have addressed them all. I am looking for feedback and suggestions to this ruleset and also am looking to see if I missed any holes.

Roll for sides – Highest roll picks first side (any of the four table edges), second highest picks second side (any of the remaining three), lowest roll picks last side (either of the remaining two).
    When the sides have been chosen, the highest roller deploys first unit, second highest deploys their first unit, lowest roller deploys first unit. The order repeats until everyone has all units placed.

We use a 48"x48" table and the deployment zones would look like this:

Roll for turn order – Player who finished deploying first receives +2 to their roll; second player to finish deploying receives +1 to their roll; last to finish deploying receives no bonus. Each player rolls 2d6 and adds their modifier. Highest roll can select to go either first, second or third. Second highest roll selects from the remaining two spots and the lowest roll gets the left over spot.

Dispel Dice – In a typical game, magic is power dice vs. dispel dice. In a 3way battle, this becomes power dice vs. 2x dispel dice, which would severely hinder magic. To overcome this, at the start of the game, all players generate their dispel pool according to the units they have deployed. Each player will regenerate their dispel dice at the end of their turn, according to the wizards they have left on the table (as per normal dispel dice generation). These dice can be used on either opponent’s magic phase. After a spell is cast, the defending players must declare – in the order of who has the next turn, followed by who had the previous turn – whether they are going to attempt to dispel. After declarations have been made, any player who is attempting to dispel must declare (in the same order) how they are attempting to dispel (i.e. how many dice or if they are using a scroll). After this has been declared, dispel dice are rolled. If both players are dispelling, they are treated as two separate attempts (double 1s on one attempt will not hinder the other attempt).

Shooting and Magic into combat – Players may shoot or cast magic into combat if the combat involves only enemy units. Since it is harder to target a unit engaged in combat, spells that cannot normally be cast into combat suffer a -2 to their casting attempt. Shooting in combat is also more difficult, and shooters suffer an additional -1 BS for shooting into combat in addition to the other usual modifiers (except the -1 for skirmishers, as they are not skirmishing while in combat). Template weapons work as normal. Bolt throwers can penetrate through to a second unit if it wounds all of the ranks in the first unit. Cannons can one rank in each unit the cannon ball passes through.
    It is important to remember that units are immune to psychology while in combat, so panic tests are never taken.

Combat – Combat happens on every player’s turn, so there will be more combat phases than a typical game. Attacks happen in the normal order based off charging and initiative.

Three Player Combat Results and Break tests – The following rules apply when you have a combat involving at least one unit from each of the three players.

The usual combat bonuses apply, with the following exception: instead of adding one for every unsaved wound dealt, a player subtracts one from their combat result for each unsaved wound taken. Overkill from challenges is still added in the usual. The outnumber bonus is only given to one player. If there is a tie for outnumber, both players get the bonus. The player with the highest combat result is the winner of combat and the other two must make break tests with their leadership modified based on how much lower their combat result was compared to the winner’s. In the event of a tie for the winner, the usual musician rule comes into play; otherwise it is a draw combat. A unit who fails their break test flees away from the winning player’s highest unit strength unit (in a draw combat for the winner, run from the highest unit with the unit strength, if there is a tie, randomize).

Three Player Pursuit Rules – You can only pursue an enemy unit if there are no other enemy units remaining in combat (i.e. both opponents would have to fail all of their break tests). You must declare which of your units is pursuing which enemy unit. You may only capture an enemy standard if your unit is in base contact with the unit when it breaks.

Realigning Combat when it becomes only a two player combat – When you player’s units die or break, if the other two players have units remaining in the combat, you may need to realign the units. If they are already in base contact, follow the normal conventions for redressing the ranks. If they are not in base contact, the unit with the highest unit strength remains stationary and its allied units are moved beside it, facing the other direction. Opposing units are then moved into base contact with these units in an effort to maximize the number of models in combat (follow the multiple chargers guidelines on page 23 of the BRB for maximizing). See the following pictures for an example, red won combat, blue passed his break test, yellow is breaking.
    Imageshack - beforealign
    Imageshack - afteralign

Who Wins – If you are not playing a scenario with a set objective, a modification of the victory point system will work. Instead of adding points for destroyed units and units under half strength, subtract points from your total equal to the units you lost and half points for your units under half strength. Table quarters, slaying generals, and capturing standards will still add points to your total as usual.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Shooting and Magic into combat – Players may shoot or cast magic into combat if the combat involves only enemy units. Since it is harder to target a unit engaged in combat, spells that cannot normally be cast into combat suffer a -2 to their casting attempt. Shooting in combat is also more difficult, and shooters suffer an additional -1 BS for shooting into combat in addition to the other usual modifiers (except the -1 for skirmishers, as they are not skirmishing while in combat). Template weapons work as normal. Bolt throwers can penetrate through to a second unit if it wounds all of the ranks in the first unit. Cannons can one rank in each unit the cannon ball passes through.
    It is important to remember that units are immune to psychology while in combat, so panic tests are never taken.
    I would say that when firing into a close combat the nearest enemy are hit on a 1-4 and the furthest enemy is hit on a 5 or 6 for each hit caused on the "unit". The magic shouldn't be any harder, it should however be subject to the hghest MR of the two units involved etc etc.

Bolt throwsers - dealt with above (they hit either one or the other unit)

Cannon and mortars and other weapons firing a defined line or template - they can hit targets in combat anyway (by accident) so there should be no change to the rules.

I would say that targetting a morass of enemy troops is EASIER.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

the nearest enemy are hit on a 1-4 and the furthest enemy is hit on a 5 or 6 for each hit
    Only problem with that is there aren't always just two units in combat, and one insn't always closer than the other.

We have been looking at shooting and magic rules similar to the scaven rules from the old book for shooting/casting into combat, which have some of the randomness of your idea. Basically there is no change in difficulty to cast or shoot at a unit, but for each hit you roll a dice, on a 4-6 it hits the intended target but on a 1-3 it is randomized between all units in the combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the aligning rule could be exploited, for example:

C
    C---EEE
    C ---EEE
    C --- EEE
    C
    C --- BBB
    C ---BBB
    C ---BBB

---FFF

I get a line of cavalry (C) pointing ^^ I show their flank to 2 different players enemy units (E and . The enemy units charge and I flank charge with unit F, making sure I'm not touching the cavalry. If B flees then I can choose to line up on the other end of the cavalry line pointing ^. Unit E then needs to line up to my new battle line and it will be in a good place for a flank charge to break it also. I have also moved unit F a large distance. If I'd shown the rear of my cavalry then I could throw E even further, and get F all the way away as well. Something like:

<CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC---<BBBBB

-------^^^^^--------------------------------------^^^
    -------EEEEEEE-------------------------------------FFFFF

Again units B and E charge my cavalry and unit F flank charges B. If E loses combat then B is travelling long way and loses any rear bonus.

Other than that I like the rules.
    Last edited by Sturen; January 30th, 2010 at 20:19.
    I've learnt so much from my mistakes...

I'm thinking of making a few more!

+ Reply to Thread