Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cover Saves

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Joker 
#1 ·
ive only just noticed with the new 4th addition rules .. that a rule we've always used wasnt in 3'rd either, but we're gonna keep using it anyways as a house rule

its just simply taking both cover save and amour save.. so u could get both
i always thought it was just to represent the shot missing like in 2nd addition with the minus to hit modifier for cover

for example a terminator in a fortified bunker is going to be harder to kill than a terminator brake dancing in plan view, but how it is at the moment your no beter off trying to use cover.. [for me at least as a marine player]

what do you guys think? it seems to make sense to me :blush:

#2 ·
Thats what we have been using(my group of friends) since the start of playing. It wouldnt make sense to me that a Space Marine would not be able to get a cover save from a lasgun and his normal save. But if I am not allowed an armor save, I can only use the cover save(duh!). Also when I went to my Gamesworkshop, I asked them a question, do I get one, or both. They said both so...

#3 ·
i always only used one or the other, like it says in the rule book

if your allowed your save, and its better than the one you'd get from the cover, you take it...if you cant take your save then you take the cover save

only one allowed i believe.... :blink:

#4 ·
hmm yer like it is in the rule book carnage, but whats the points for guys with +3 armoursaves to bother using cover? unless its a 2+ cover save witch rarely happens

its a prety sad thing looking down on your guys behind a wall [me thinking they should hold up there nicly] and then find out its not going to help them at all coz their base armour saves beter... so i might as well throw that wall out the window <:>

#5 ·
the point is, incase a lascannon hits them...now they cant use their 3+ save...but the cover save (says its a 5+ from dense trees or something) can now be taken instead of his normal save to keep him alive

thats the point of guys with a 3+ save using cover

#8 ·
Well if a lasgun manages to penetrate a ceramite wall, it is going to blast through power armour.

Only one save of any type is allowed.

#9 ·
In my opinion it is like the ability to choose shooting casualties, you have power over fate, just like saves, you choose weather it hits the cover or armour. If it is well placed enough to go through the cover it goes through armour too.

#10 ·
I think that 4th edition rules seem good. Because using 2 armour saves is insane. Terminators would be even more awesome, and if something can go through a wall it can definately hit you too (as someone else said already). I also think that if it were so much harder to die in a bunker that when ever you went to a wargame you would just see guys going bunker crazy and just staying in the protection of them. Then the game would just get boring. And no one would move around too much. Think about it: a terminator in the open has a 1 in 6 chance of getting wounded with their save. A termigant would get a 1 in 6 chance also if in a bunker and using your rules with 2 saves. If I'm doing my math right. <_<

#11 ·
are you suggesting a lascannon should give you no saves? or are you looking at it like the cover save , is to see if the shot just goes threw the cover?
becouse ive always looked at the cover save as representing the shot missing due to a hard shot... after all you need to see the enemy your shooting at for a reason

like 2nd edition.. with -1 to hit for soft cover ect .. makes sense the less of the enemy you can see the less your going to hit :p
and then the armour save is to see if your armour works for each shot that hits you

a gay example is

10 marines shooting at another 10 marines all with bolters, one lot are in a trench with 3+ cover and the other lot in plan view running across no-mans land

and thats still 50/50 to whos going to win

and terminators are just scary and cost heaps :rolleyes:

#12 ·
My group plays it like this: Cover saves are used like invulnerable saves; if you normally wouldn't get a save versus a weapon your cover save still applies. Certain weapons, like flamers disallow even cover saves, but your normal armor saves would apply. Unless it is naturally pierced by the ap of the weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.