Dwarf Mountaineers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

"What in Grungni's beard is this?"

Through the smoke filled tavern the bellowing, slurred words of Durgrim Redmane echoed.

"Wait, wait it's one of those new fangled crossbows isn't it?" "Yes, yes. Messing with things those don't need messing with I say"

A small group of veterans slowly sank further and further into their ales as the old dwarf continued.

"So these new things are for those so called Mountaineers, eh? Stunt ye bloody beard that will. But still I admire ye when ye go where you should, 200 feet under."

Swaying to his feet he shunted over to the bar, a new pint waiting already.

"Aye, like the rangers you lads are. Heard they was the elite; best shots, silentest and quickest... elven jobs that is. I'd watch it lads, otherwise soon you'll start getting pointy ears"

A roar of raucious laughter bellowed from the elder dwarfs, followed by calls for more ale.

Mountaineers are the elite of the Rangers, how they are chosen it's unknown but they are a head above the others. There's even rumours of a small hidden hidout know only to these select few, but as they don't talk much on one actually knows the truth behind it.

The Mountaineers are smaller and quicker than rangers, working in a fast moving elite group they cover ground quickly; either under or over. Recently the Engineers Guild has given them a new edge, a smaller lightwieght crossbow. The smaller version suffers slightly in range, but still packs a punch. They also include a set of gears and devices to wind back the string easier, making them better and quicker on the move.

Dwarven Mountaineers

Counts as a rare unit, maybe taken by a normal dwarven army.

Mountaineer - M(3) WS(4) BS(4) S(3) T(4) W(1) I(1) A(1) LD(9)
    Captain - M(3) WS(4) BS(4) S(3) T(4) W(1) I(1) A(2) LD(9)

Unit Size - 5 - 15

Pts/model - 18pts

Weapons/Armour -
    Light Crossbow, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Hand Weapon

Options -
    May upgrade one Mountaineer to a Captain for +12pts
    May upgrade one Mountaineer to a Musician for +6pts

Maybe given Shields for +1pt/model
    Maybe Given Throwing Axes for +3pts/model

Special Rules -

Scouts
    Skirmishers

Expert Trackers -
    Mountaineers are taught every trick in the art of climbing, their fingers and feet can find every foothold even an elf would have problems with. Moving swiftly terrain such as wood hold no problems for these elite trackers.

When moving through wooden or rocky terrain Mountaineers count it as being open ground.

Light Crossbow -
    Range - 24" S(4) - (NOTE - May move and fire)

KU

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it. Maybe give them skis:
    special rule: skis - they can move 10" along snow except up hill, and can charge like that too [being charged by little beared guys on skis with huge axes, how novelty]
    Signature?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x3)

I would like to congratulate you for creating the first unit of Dwarf Skirmishers that make sense to me, as oppose to the dreaded “army X has them so why can I not have them?�. Plus the lack of mountaineers was a little unusual when you consider where Dwarves live.

Originally posted by Revenant@Sep 9 2004, 15:28
    I like it. Maybe give them skis:
    special rule: skis - they can move 10" along snow except up hill, and can charge like that too [being charged by little beared guys on skis with huge axes, how novelty]
    [snapback]210459[/snapback]
    Please do not do the skis, skiing Dwarves were possibly the silliest idea in second edition Warhammer, or was it Dwarven Pikemen? Anyway it was a really close run between two units that were both pretty *****ing stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this unit, I always thought that Rangers ahould skirmish, a fully ranked unit scouting just never cut it with me. I'll probably use this unit in my dwarf army, with opponents consent of course.
    I kill two dwarves in the morning, I kill two dwarves at night. I kill two dwarves in the afternoon, and then I feel allright. I kill two dwarves in time of peace, and two in time of war. I kill two dwarves before I kill two dwarves, and then I kill two more.

Goblin kroozade of revengyness: win:19 draw:10 loss:9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Hey thanks, I'm glad they're liked.

But I've noticed a few things -

1) They have I1 not 2, will be changed (edited)
    2) They should be 0-1 rare , don't want three or more units of these running about
    3) Skirmishers already count difficult terrain as open...

Also skis are a big no, no. I don't see them using them that often, they'd be more climbers and such.

CK: Feel free, also any feedback on the way they play would be nice.

KU

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

Ah thats more like it not sneeking about like a blasted elf but climbing around the mountains like a proper dwarf and cant you make one a standard bearer?

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

I could but won&#39;t, I don&#39;t see the point and the fact that it will be quite a task to have a huge metal thing strapped to your back whilest climbing a mountain.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x3)

Well the standard could always double up as a ladder i suppose, umm actually it is best you do not

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

well ulrik looks like you beat gw to the idea they have released their mountian ranger models with theblunder buss guns in the new white dwarf ^_^

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

True, but I think mine ar better ^_^

I dislike the blunderbusses, a bit powerful IMO. These are more than capable of wiping out lots of small/low T units, too much.

Nice try GW

KU

+ Reply to Thread