WH40K The Hand of Contempt (Shadowsword) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

The Hand of Contempt (Shadowsword)

Hey all,

I've had this idea for my Mechanicus Guard for a while and now that I've got the kit I want to start on a conversion so I figured I'd better get some feedback on the rules I've thought up. I'll try and keep it brief and readable.

Fluff wise, the Hand of Contempt is an ancient relic from the Dark Age of Technology, recently re-discovered by a tech-priest. It has the superstructure of a Shadowsword Super-Heavy Tank but its most important feature is that it is the housing for a very old and complex machine spirit. This spirit has the strength of a warlord battle titans and functions in a similar way with the commander being completely integrated into the machines systems. Importantly, it incorporates a crude imperial version of an eldar infinity matrix or soul stone. While human souls are not as psychically developed and do not generally maintain any coherency after death, this machine is able to absorb the souls of all who command it and retain their experiences and strongest emotions after their deaths. A subordinate of the techpriest whom discovered it sat in the throne like seat at the front of the vehicle and was immediately locked in, never to be removed until death. As the machine spirit is so powerful and has built up a "personality" of its own through the combination of souls of past commanders, some of those emotions are forced into the mind of the new commander. The inevitable emotion that stands out amongst a group of individuals used to wielding an incredibly potent vehicle to slay god-machine titans is contempt, hence the name. The vehicle has banks of servo skulls which reside within cavities and are used for a variety of tasks under the control of the commander/spirit.

Rules
    The Hand of Contempt follows all of the rules for a Shadowsword Super-Heavy with the following exceptions:

Weapons: The HoC has a Volcano Cannon and 4 sponsons with a lascannon and TL heavy bolter each.

Throne of Command - This grants the HoC Bs 4 (due to the improved sensors and human-machine interface as well as the experience of the past commanders flooding the commander). In addition Gun Crew Shaken and Gun Crew Stunned results are ignored.

Servo-skull swarm - The HoC can use the swarm of servo skulls at its command to intercept incomming fire and self-repair (amongst other things). It always benefits from a 6+ cover save. Also, at the start of each of the players turn, roll a dice for each missing structure point. Any roll of a 6 results in that structure point being restored (functions similarly to tyranid regeneration).

Psychic barrier - The machine spirit incorporates a psychically fuelled barrier which counts as a single void shield.

Psychic beacon - Due to the large concentration of souls and build up of emotion around the HoC, especially when destroying its enemies, Daemons are attracted like flies to rotten meat. For every time that the HoC wishes to fire its Volcano Cannon, it must pass a psychic test on Ld 10. If the test is failed it may not do anything that turn as inbuilt systems focus on warding off the swarms of voracious warp creatures. If the HoC suffers a Perils of the Warp, a more powerful enitity has attacked with the HoC immediately suffering a glancing hit. Note though, that firing the VC is not a psychic power and may not be affected by psychic hoods and the like. In addition the HoC does not count as a psyker for any purpose.

Points wise I was thinking close to 550. This is based on the cost of a regular shadowsword with increases in price for the first 3 rules and a reduction from the last.

Thoughts and comments please. I really haven't got a lot of experience with Super-Heavies so any input on the rules and pricing would be fantastic. Also I'm always open to thoughts on the fluff, especially if you can give me any background from specific sources that might be relevant. Hope you like it

- Bias

And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Should be a lot more points, this has now become a small titan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

How many more? 650, 700? And what specifically do you think each scetion of its rules is worth? Are there any rules I should tone down or remove?
    And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

The main problem is the regen... 1/6 chance to get a structure point back?
    and I can't see the tank failing its physic test very often, maybe every time it fails it just can't fire for 2 turns? as there is a lot of interference and the demons are trying to attack the minds of the tanks crew, but they are well trained so they can resist? or maybe they can only suffer from the demons if their physic barrier is down?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Hmmm, I really like the regen idea though...loads of little servo skulls buzzing around and doing repairs while its firing. Perhaps if I got rid of the psychic barrier thing completely? It was really only so I could justify putting the commander out the front on a massive throne in the open...But I'm gonna do that anyways . Would that fit into the 600 pt slot then? Or should I also get rid of the stunned/shaken rule? I'm trying to think of one of the White Dwarf articles after the Shadowsword was released there was a special one, Iron Might or something. It had a special rule for every crew member and I thought it was only about 550 pts or so. Thanks very much for the comments so far, keep em coming

Bias

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

I'd say about 625pts, although points are the hardest thing to work out.
    I'd also suggest losing the BS4, it seems the least fluffy rule to me as "sensors" are automated guns (BS2) so woudn't actucally improve the shooting, although as there is no crew they would ignore shaken/stunned (or the alternative rule for superheavies (different table)).

Pyschic barrier seems a bit iffy as well, if you keep it, it should require a pyschic test to use (and/or replace moving/firing the main weapon).

Hope this bambling (is that a word?) helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

I'd also suggest losing the BS4
    I'm confused to as why all super heavy tanks aren't BS4, they are the most expensive and most powerful tanks, why let a BS3 drive it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Bs 4 sensors are actually a shadowsword option. I think they are worth 50 points from memory but I may be wrong. Essentially they replace two lascannons and sit on top of the sponsons. Thanks again for the input/bambling (I like that word, its a keeper )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Ok, how about applying the psychic beacon rule also to the void shield, and make PotW more scary. So the rules would be as following:

Shadowsword
    • +1 Bs (Making it Bs 4 via. Sensors - As normal for a shadowsword + experience of old commanders)
    • 4 x LC/TL-HB Sponsons + Volcano Cannon (As normal for a shadowsword - 1 x TL-H
    • Ignores stunned/shaken
    • Stealth and Regen special rules
    • 1 x Void Shield
    • Must pass a psychic test on Ld 10 each time it fires the volcano cannon or attempts to restore its void shield. If it fails it may do nothing else that turn. If it suffers a PotW it takes a penetrating hit.
    600 pts

If the points are still too low, remove 2 x LC/TL-HB Sponsons and/or bump the points to 650.

Also, what would you say to a Psychic Meltdown special rule which slightly alters the affect of the Nuclear Meltdown that super heavies can suffer from. So if a nuclear meltdown is rolled, it instead suffers a Psychic Meltdown, as if a Vortex Grenade had gone off inside (I don't actually know the rules for Vortex Grenades, only that they operate somewhat like D-cannons via opening a warp rift). So as per normal Nuclear meltdown but using the vortex grenade rules (not template).

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

As a comparison, you have the baneblade and the Fortress of Arrogance, which is essentially an upgraded baneblade.

The difference?

The Fortress of Arrogance is a baneblade with the following upgrades:

- BS4
    - 1 Hunter-killer missile
    - 1 pintle-mounted storm bolter
    - Special rule - while Yarrick is onboard, any guardsmen within 24" has LD 10 and may re-roll failed morale checks
    - Special rule - orks must pass a morale test to assault the FoA
    - it costs 346pts more!!!

So basically for +1 BS, 1 major special rule and 1 minor special rule, you're paying almost 70% of the cost of a baneblade.

Just something to consider.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast