Bows, Halberds And Spears - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Ok well I've noticed they're are the least used weapons in the game, mainly because the wielders lack the armour and they're better choices in the game. But how would you make these into better weapons?

Many thoughts and ideas I've seen floating about, lets see what you think.

Halberds

+2S vs Cav
    +1S & AP
    ight in two ranks but only when standing, +1S

Spears

Strike first and +1S vs Cav only
    Fight in Three ranks, two if moved
    Front rank can use HW&Shield (front rank only)

Bows, Longbows

Volley - Units at least 7 wide may fire with an extra two ranks
    +1 vs unit within 1/2 range

Well that's to start. Thoughts?

KU

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

hmm im not too sure about the hallaberds it makes them a little to good maybe.

id would have liked spears to be used more like a phalanx with them making a sheild wall

eg.

XXXXX
    XXXXX<-------
    XXXXX<-------
    XXXXX

my idea was that if the enamy were to charge the wall of spears from the frount they would gain no bones but if the formation was charged from the side the spears would strike last (due to having to turn the spears round)

i like the bow thing but maybe insted alow fireing in two or more ranks -1 to hit each time you go back eg

XXXXXXX hitting as normal
    XXXXXXX hiting at -1
    XXXXXXX hiting at -2

and so on forth

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They sound good but mayby to good and would empire alot deadly and now your basically give the high elfs rule to everyone which is a good thing and a bad thing

like the bow thing but maybe insted alow fireing in two or more ranks -1 to hit each time you go back eg

XXXXXXX hitting as normal
    XXXXXXX hiting at -1
    XXXXXXX hiting at -2

hmm, i prefer KU idea cause that means say just empire bowmen struggle enought shooting in a single rank needs 5&#39;s at long range and i you could use this rule first rank 5&#39;s, second rank 6&#39;s, third rank and up would&#39;nt be able to shoot.
    &lt;MortalKombat&gt; stfu mat|t u ****
    * Acaila sets mode: +b MortalKombat&#33;*@*
    &lt;@Acaila&gt; FINISH HIM
    &lt;mat|t&gt; rofl
    &lt;MortalKombat&gt; omg what&#33; man
    * MortalKombat was kicked by Acaila (forward, forward, back, back, forward, punch)
    &lt;@Acaila&gt; FATALITY&#33;

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Nice idea, but the problem being that they&#39;d be useful only for elves and then barely. -1 per rank would make it too hard to be of any use, but one idea I have seen is -

Longbows may volley fire if they haven&#39;t moved that turn, they may fire in two ranks but may not target units 12" away or closer.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a Skaven player, I always use halberds rather than great weapons, so as not to waste my high initiative. However, I do think they should fight in 2 ranks.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi omniam pecuniam mihi dabis, saxum immanem ad capitem tuum mittam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about:

Bows
    because they dont fire in a straight tradjectory all the ranks can fire but ranks behind the first are at -1 becuase they cannot see.

Spears
    front rank can use sheilds, strike last when charged in flank or rear

Halberds
    +1s and ap

That all seems fair and makes sense.
    Signature?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As to halberd they should definitely get some bonus for fighting against cavalry since that is what they were designed for.
    +1 str and +1 AP
    This seems more fair as it shows the rider being hooked and pulled off. Of course this bonus would be discounted against centigors.

As for bows I see them fireing in volley far more realistic than just the front rank.

Crossbows should be allowed to do this is not moving as they are straight trajectory weapons. But only in 2 ranks, 1 crouches 1 stands.

Bows should as said previously have a 12" minimum range as they have to fire high. Still maintain a 2 rank minimum or it will result in big block of archers pumping out masses of shots. Archers deploy in lines.
    Any minus to shooting would make it difficult to shoot and pointless for most armies.

For spears 2 ranks seems fine, let high elves keep their 3 rank special rule to themselves.For them when upgraded 4 ranks would be insane.
    Howver I think that when charging the spear unit from the front that the spearmen unit should strike first. Representing the enemy running headlong into a line of spears. No need to say they strike last when charged in the flank or rear, the opponent charged so therefore will strike first.

My ideas on the subject.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point *hits head on keyboard*
    Signature?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like those rules for Halberds because it makes them more like pikes (as they are in real warfare) and I am glad to see reasonable ideas for limiting the effectiveness of mounted units, I honestly think cavalry dominates the field too much.
    “Cry ‘Havoc’ and let slip the dogs of war!? - Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I

+ Reply to Thread