Cathayan Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cathayan Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cathay Army

Hello, I'm attempting to make a Cathayan Army! I'll post a fragment and tell me if you want more. And my army fluff is sort of made up, so when I post that don't jump on it.
    Gems, the honor-type items of this army
    Blessed Gems
    These are sacred gems blessed by shrines. Only champions may take them, as the nobles(characters) of the Cathayan society prefer grander blessed items. Only one of each gem may be taken, and only one gem per champion may be given.

The Red Ruby of the Jackal- 10 pts. The unit has frenzy.

The Green Emerald of the Drake- 30 pts. +1 to armor save of the unit.

The Blue Sapphire of the Cat-15 pts. The unit has +1 Initiative, and ignores difficult terrain

The White Opal of the Drake- 20 pts. The unit has Magic Resistance (1).

The Sparkling Diamond of the Horse- 20 pts. The unit pursues and flees an extra D3?.

The Black Amethyst of the Hawk- 30 pts. The second rank may shoot at a –1 modifier in addition to any other modifiers. Note that this modifier is not applied when the second rank could normally shoot.

The Pale Pearl of the Lizard- 25 pts. The unit has killing blow.

And the special lores rules and a spell:
    Sandbending is a difficult task. It is a wild and unpredictable force that draws force from another plane. The force leaks out through the exact point where the plains intersect. The point is infinitely small, and so too much power can cause cataclysmic events to the power. However, it has untold power in which it can move whole mountains.

To represent the unpredictability of Sandbending, when attempting to cast a spell, roll 1, 2, or 3 dice to find the difficulty of the spell. The number is specified in the description. Do this after you have selected the amount of power dice you will roll. Also, miscasts are caused on double 1’s or 2’s. Master Sandbenders have a more controlled grip than other sandbenders, and so can cast spells that normally have a range of 12? at a range of 18?. Roll as usual for spells

Plate Rift 3D6+: Place a flame template from any point within 12? of the caster, facing a direction of your choice. A rift in the earth appears. Every model covered by it, partial or fully, must take an initiative test or be slain. Give a –1 modifier if the model was partially covered, and a +1 modifier if the model has better than a 5+ armor save. Remember a 6 always fails and a 1 always succeds. Look Out Sir rolls apply.

Last edited by nbp71; May 15th, 2005 at 23:11.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

The lores are an orginal medium for bonusses. Since runes, spawnings, blessings, marks etc are allready in use. Gems are good.
    The bonusses are fine. The costs are balanced.

I assume Sandbending is their army-specific lore? It's a little unclear. I would post all spells and background in one post. Makes it better understandable and you get an overview.

Good luck and may be muses stand by.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for changing armies, but I think I've finally decided on doing a revised Cathay, with its actual theme of Chinese. I won't add too much as I'll be working on fluff. Ive deleted the Ungol stuff, but have a backup on my computer if you want it for any reason.

I finished the overall fluff. Take a look.

Now, I have most of the units finished, and I will add fluff later.

Cathay lies beyond the World’s edge Mountains, and borders the Eastern Sea. It is a dangerous route indeed. The passing through Mad Dog Pass will often be beset by greenskins. The Dark Lands are a forboding wasteland, where food and water will be scarce. Then, you pass through the Traveling through the Mountains of Mourn, where everyday avalanches, blizzards, and Ogre ambushes threaten. Then, the Silk Road passes through the Hobgoblin Hegemony, and Kokaram Pass, where many a caravan has fallen to ambushes, even with scores of guards. The final stretch of the trip is across the Ning Desert. Soon after passing through the desert, you will start passing by rice fields and villages. There are so many different places to visit and collect goods, merchants spread to every city in Cathay, depending on what they are getting.

Cathay used to be warring city-states until about 4000 years ago when the Hsia Dynasty united Cathay under the Mandate of Heaven. It covers in 12873 stanzas the roles of emperor and the people, and acts much like a constitution. It is the defining law in which Cathayan society is organized. The ruling race of humans is called the Li. There are other tribes, but most are under rule by this race.

The main religion revolves around the 9 Sages. The sages are Tse Ran(wild places, nature, creation), Chang Er (Fertility, growth), Gong Fei (Longevity,Health), Mei Mao (Wisdom, Truth, Learning), Pang Gu (Weather and the Sea,), Tu Bo (War, Guardian of Heaven), Tsen Wo (Guardian of the Afterworld), Lao Niang (murder, undead, Khaine), Guan Mei (Healing, mercy). However, there is also a cult called Vimtaoism. It was founded by a monk called Simda, and a few monks have joined this religion. They have learned secrets of how to kill enemies with just hands, and sometimes join Cathayan armies in battle

There are many strange monsters in Cathay. Where as we see dragons as a rare mythical creatures, they are a much more common occurrence in Cathay. Dragons come in all shapes, colors, and forms. Each dragon is aligned to a certain Sage. Also, Beastmen inhabit the Forests to the South. Chaos otherwise has little influence on this land. A Chaos incursion is rare. The Skaven hold a few of their underground tunnels in Cathay, but mostly they use them for transporting troops to the island nation of Nippon, where they are much more active. Also, the Undead are fairly common, especially in the North. However, the vampires do not number many, so they more of a nuisance than a threat.

The armies of Cathay, with exception of ranged troops and artillery, differed little from Old World Armies. The peasantry are on foot, with nobles on horseback. However, the ranged weaponry uses a more refined and perfected use of black powder. Fire lances, as they are called, are explosive canisters shot with black powder. They have a reasonable distance, but can cause great damage. Also, they have their own version of repeating crossbows, and miniature crossbows that can be held in one hand, useful in close combat.
    Also, they are the first nation to fix bayonets to their handguns, which given them more prowess in close combat. The armies of Cathay are disciplined, and will follow their general to whatever battle or place.

There are very few people indeed who do not know of the riches of Cathay. It is a relatively peaceful place, and is nothing like the Old World. May you harness the power of the Mandate of Heaven to repel the enemy.

Army Rules
    Undying loyalty- All units are always treated as if they are within 12? of the Battle Standard Bearer. If they are actually within 12? of the Standard Bearer, they gain +1 Ld for break tests (Max 10) in addition.

Cathayan Armory
    Fire Lance: Range 18". Strength 4. Armor Piercing. If enough wounds are caused by a fire lance attack to cause a panic test, then the enemy must reroll the panic test if they are succesful the first time.

Bayoneted Handgun: Treat as a normal handgun. Attacks in close combat are armor piercing.

Handbow: Treat as a crossbow with a 12" range. The handbow grants an addtional S4 attack in close combat. All the rules of a pistol used in close combat applies to the handbow.
    Treasury of the Grand Hall

Blessed Gems
    These are sacred gems blessed by shrines. Only champions may take them, as the nobles(characters) of the Cathayan society prefer grander blessed items. Only one of each gem may be taken, and only one gem per champion may be given.

The Red Ruby of the Jackal- 10 pts. The unit has frenzy.

The Green Emerald of the Drake- 30 pts. +1 to armor save of the unit.

The Blue Sapphire of the Cat-15 pts. The unit has +1 Initiative, and ignores difficult terrain

The White Opal of the Drake- 20 pts. The unit has Magic Resistance (1).

The Sparkling Diamond of the Horse- 20 pts. The unit pursues and flees an extra D3?.

The Black Amethyst of the Hawk- 30 pts. The second rank may shoot at a –1 modifier in addition to any other modifiers. Note that this modifier is not applied when the second rank could normally shoot.

The Pale Pearl of the Lizard- 25 pts. The unit has killing blow.

Magic Weapons
    Flail of Myths- 60 pts
    Counts as a flail. Any unit in base contact with the bearer suffers from stupidity.

Soulreaper- 50 pts
    No armor saves are allowed against wounds dealt by the bearer in close combat.

Flesh-hewer- 50 pts
    Wounds dealt by this weapon are doubled.

The Blade of the Last Citadel- 40 pts
    Counts as a great weapon. +1 WS.

Sword of Calahard- 25 pts
    Gives Bearer +1 S, killing blow, and armor piercing

Daggers of Dread- 20 pts
    Counts as two hand weapons. The bearer causes fear.

Spear of the Dead Wastes- 15 pts
    Counts as a spear. Successful armor saves made against wounds with this spear must be rerolled.

Magic Armor
    Slade Armor- 55 pts
    Counts as light armor. Wearer has +1 Toughness, and +1 Wound.

Armor of the Ravaged Soul- 40 pts
    Counts as light armor. Also grants a 4+ ward save. However, if a roll of 1 is made on the ward save, the wearer is slain.

Shield of Droma- 25 pts
    Counts as a shield. Discount the first hit received each combat.

Talismans
    Shard of the First Blade- 75 pts
    Grants Magic Resistance(2) to bearer and all units within 12?.

Bloodrune- 40 pts
    Grants a 4+ ward save when one wound remains.

Pendant of the Oasis- 30 pts
    Grants a 5+ ward save.

Amulet of the Blue Flame- 25 pts
    Bearers of magic weapons have –1 WS when directing attacks against the bearer.

Arcane Items

Enchanted Items
    Star of Command- 40 pts
    Grants +1 Ld to character

Studded Cloak- 30 pts
    May force an opponent to accept a challenge.

Ring of a Thousand Nights- 25 pts
    All models in base contact with bearer loses one attack.

Magic Banners

Lords
    Grand Marshal 125 pts/model
    M 4
    WS 6
    BS 5
    S 4
    T 5
    W 3
    I 5
    A 4
    Ld 9
    Weapons & Armor: Hand Weapon
    Options:
    · May take a Great Weapon (+6 pts), a lance (+6 pts), a halberd (+3 pts), a spear (+3 pts), an additional hand weapon (+3 pts), or a morning star (+3 pts)
    · May take light armor (+3 pts), heavy armor (+6 pts), and/or a shield (+3 pts)
    · May take a Bayonted Handgun (+6 pts), a Repeating Crossbow (+9 pts), or fire lances (+6 pts).
    · May take up to two handbows (+6pts/ each)
    · May take up to 100 pts of magic items
    · May ride a Warhorse (+12 pts), with barding (+5 pts), a Ki’lin (+25 pts), a Dragon (+200 pts, hero choice), or a Phoniex (+270 pts, hero choice)
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty

Master of the Elements 200 pts/ model
    M 4
    WS 3
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 3
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 8
    Magic: The Master is a Level 3 wizard. He may use the Life, Light, Heavens, or the Beasts Lore. He gets +1 on all attempts to casts, and knows all the spells if the Life Lore is chosen.
    Options:
    · May be upgraded to a level 4 wizard for +40 pts
    · May take up to 100 pts of magic items
    · May ride a Warhorse (+12 pts), or a Ki’lin (+25 pts)
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty

Heroes
    Marshal
    M 4
    WS 5
    BS 4
    S 4
    T 4
    W 2
    I 3
    A 3
    Ld 8
    Options:
    · May take a Great Weapon (+4 pts), a lance (+4 pts), a halberd (+2 pts), a spear (+2 pts), an additional hand weapon (+2 pts), or a morning star (+2 pts)
    · May take light armor (+2 pts), heavy armor (+4 pts), and/or a shield (+2 pts)
    · May take a Bayonted Handgun (+4 pts), a Repeating Crossbow (+7 pts), or fire lances (+4 pts).
    · May take up to two handbows (+4pts/ each)
    · May take up to 50 pts of magic items
    · May ride a Warhorse (+9 pts), with barding (+4 pts), or a Ki’lin (+20 pts)
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty

0-1 Priest of Vimta
    M 5
    WS 6
    BS 4
    S 4
    T 4
    W 2
    I 5
    A 3
    Ld 7
    Weapons & Armor: Deathfists (counts as two hand weapons)
    Options:
    · May take up to 50 points of magic items
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty
    Vimta Follower: If include in army, Monks of Vimta become core, but are still 0-1. Also, the priest can only join monks of vimta
    Killing Blow on 5+
    Aura of Vimta: grants a 5+ ward save

Sorcerer of the Elements 70 pts/ model
    M 4
    WS 3
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 2
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 7
    Magic: The Sorcerer is a Level 1 wizard. He may use the Life, Light, Heavens, or the Beasts Lore. He gets +1 to cast if he uses the Life Lore.
    Options:
    · May be upgraded to a level 2 wizard for +35 pts
    · May take up to 50 pts of magic items
    · May ride a Warhorse (+9 pts)
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty

Mounts
    Warhorse
    M 8
    WS 3
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 3

Ki’lin
    M 9
    WS 4
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 7
    Special Rules:
    Mystic Aura: Grants a 6+ ward save to rider

Dragon
    M 6
    WS 6
    BS 6
    S 5
    T 5
    W 6
    I 3
    A 4
    Ld 8
    Special Rules: Fly, Breath Attack(S3, -2 save), cause terror, Scaly Skin (4+)

Phoenix
    M 6
    WS 6
    BS 3
    S 6
    T 5
    W 5
    I 4
    A 5
    Ld 9
    Special Rules: Fly, Breath Attack (S3, -2 save), cause terror, Fiery aura (5+ ward save)

Core Choices
    Li Warriors 8 pts/model
    These warriors are the mainstay of the Cathayan Armies. These troops are highly trained from childhood. They are born usually from low ranking parts of Li society, yet recognized for their reflexes and agility at birth.
    M 4
    WS 4
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 7
    Weapons & Armor: Hand Weapon, Shield
    Unit Size: 10+
    Options:
    · Any unit may exchange their hand weapons for spears (+1 pt/model), or halberds (+1 pt/ model)
    · Any unit may be equipped with light armor for +1 pt/model.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Warrior to a musician for +5 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Warrior to a standard bearer for +10 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Warrior to a champion (+1A) for +10 pts.
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty

Li Marksmen 10 pts/model
    M 4
    WS 3
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 7
    Weapons & Armor: Hand Weapon, Bayoneted Hanguns
    Options:
    · Any unit may exchange their Bayonet Handguns for either fire lances (+1 pt/model), or Repeating Crossbows (+1 pt/model).
    · Any unit may upgrade one Marksmen to a musician for +5 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Marksmen to a standard bearer for +10 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Marksmen to a champion (+1BS) for +10 pts.
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty
    Drafted Militia 4 pts/ model
    M 4
    WS 3
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 6
    Weapons & Armor: Hand Weapon, Shield
    Options:
    · Any unit may upgrade one Militia to a musician for +5 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Militia to a standard bearer for +10 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Militia to a champion (+1A) for +10 pts.
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty
    Peasantry: The Li soldiers look down upon these mere peasants. Militia only causes panic to other militia

Special Choices
    Li Riders (Rides Warhorse) 30 points/ model
    M 4
    WS 5
    BS 4
    S 4
    T 3
    W 1
    I 4
    A 1
    Ld 8
    Weapons & Armor: Lance, shield, heavy armor, hand weapon
    Unit size: 5+
    Options:
    · May take bows for +5 pts/ model
    · May take barding for +5 pts/ model
    · Any unit may upgrade one Rider to a musician for +8 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Rider to a standard bearer for +16 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Rider to a champion (+1A) for +16 pts.
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty

Cannon 100 pts/model
    T 3
    W 3
    Crew (3)
    M 4
    WS 3
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 7
    May take 1-2 cannons per special choice.
    Weapons & Armor: Crew has hand weapons
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty, Cannon

Li Trackers 14 pts/model
    M 4
    WS 3
    BS 4
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 7
    Weapons & Armor: Repeating Crossbows, light armor, hand weapon
    Options:
    · May upgrade one Tracker to a Hunter (+1 BS) for +7 pts
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty, Scouts, Skirmishers

0-1 Monks of Vimta 13 pts/model
    M 5
    WS 4
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 5
    A 1
    Ld 7
    Weapons & Armor: Deathfists (counts as two hand weapons)
    Options:
    · Any unit may upgrade one Monk to a musician for +5 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Monk to a standard bearer for +10 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Monk to a champion (+1A) for +10 pts.
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty, Unbreakable, Killing Blow
    Followers of Vimta: No characters besides a Preist of Vimta may join this unit
    Aura of Vimta: Grants a 6+ ward save to all Monks

Rare Choices:
    Ki’lin Riders (Rides Ki’lin) 38 pts/model
    M 4
    WS 5
    BS 4
    S 4
    T 3
    W 1
    I 4
    A 1
    Ld 8
    Weapons & Armor: Lance, shield, heavy armor, hand weapon
    Unit Size: 5+
    Options:
    · Any unit may upgrade one Rider to a musician for +8 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Rider to a standard bearer for +16 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Rider to a champion (+1A) for +16 pts.
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty
    War Elephant 245 pts/model
    M 7
    WS 3
    BS 0
    S 5
    T 5
    W 6
    I 3
    A 5
    Ld 7
    Crew (3)
    M 4
    WS 3
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 7
    Weapons & Armor: Crew have bows, spears, and hand weapons
    Unit Size: 1
    Special Rules:
    Elephant:
    Causes Terror
    Scaly Skin (4+)
    Elephant Charge: Does D6 impact hits
    Stubborn
    Rage: After taking three or more wounds, the elephant becomes frenzied
    Trample: When an Elephant is frenzied, roll a dice at the beginning of your compulsorily move phase, even in combat. If a 1 is rolled, the elephant is out of control. Roll 2D6 and scatter dice. Reroll any hits rolled on scatter die. Move the elephant that many inches in the indicated direction. If it travels over any cavalry or infantry models, they must pass an Initiative test, or take a wound. If it hits any other type of models, treat this as a charge.
    Howdah: Grants a 3+ armor save to crew
    Crew:
    Undying Loyalty
    Last edited by nbp71; May 16th, 2005 at 23:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very intersting read but the difterace in points between the mages and the Heros could be a problem.
    like the "Undying loyalty"

Sandbending sounds good. I would limit the number oy units that have the Longsword as they will all most alwasy be chosen.

Some Fluff for what the units are wouldnt go amiss eather

Khazad
    Yes people i know that my spelling and punctuation is awful but I am product of British teaching pollicies so what can I do about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe increase the catahyan longsword to 4 or 5pts/model? I am reluctant to take it out becuase I'm trying have a theme of the army be flexibility in the armylist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

know what you mean but 3pts is ok for it but there shuold be a limite on it say, 1 unit of Manfighters and say an elite chose Eg the sultan or heros bodygaurd.

khazad
    Yes people i know that my spelling and punctuation is awful but I am product of British teaching pollicies so what can I do about it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I think it's a very cool concept and imagining the models for the army leads my mind all over the place. The underlying idea is original, the item and hero names are convincing. The spell system is unique, but a little unclear on how it works. All in all, I really like it so far. Keep up the work...who knows, maybe GW's in the market for a new army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

thought the Cathayans were Chinese-like, but now I see they're more like a mix of Turks and Arabs.

Another original idea would be camel riders. They'd cause fear to enemy cavalry riding horses (so not to Undead horses, Cold Ones etc.)
    Being hardened nomads, they are immune to panic.
    The bow is so cheap because it is essentially only enlarging the range of the throwing spears.

Sth like this:

Special Choice
    The Numadin are a nomadic people. Some tribes are bound to a Sultan by ancient bonds of fielty. Thus those tribes ride with their lord when he calls. However, there are also tribes which ride freely, their motives their own.
    The Numadin are hardened by the desert and mostly silent towards strangers. They herd camels, which they ride in war. Much to the dread of enemy cavalry, who often have their mounts unwilling to come near the camel-mounted Numadin. The Numadin are clad in wide flowing robes.

Numadin- 17 pts/model
    M 4
    WS 3
    BS 3
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 7
    Weapons & Armor: Hand weapon, throwing spears.
    Unit Size: 5+
    Options:
    · Any unit may take bows (+2 pts/model) or spears (+1 pt/model).
    · Any unit may take shields (+2 pt/model).
    · Any unit may upgrade one Numad to a Musician for +6 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Numad to a Standard Bearer for +12 pts.
    · Any unit may upgrade one Numad to a Water Seeker(+1A) for +12 points.
    Special Rules:
    Undying Loyalty, Fast Cavalry, Immune to Panic.

Camel
    M 8
    WS 3
    BS 0
    S 2
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 1
    Ld 3
    Special Rules: Camel

Camel: Cause fear to horses.

Tai'shar

Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Araith
    thought the Cathayans were Chinese-like, but now I see they're more like a mix of Turks and Arabs.

Another original idea would be camel riders. They'd cause fear to enemy cavalry riding horses (so not to Undead horses, Cold Ones etc.)
    Being hardened nomads, they are immune to panic.
    The bow is so cheap because it is essentially only enlarging the range of the throwing spears.

Tai'shar
    Can the camels spit for a ranged attack?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

Lol
    It are camels, not lamas. :lol:

But serious, what do you think?

Tai'shar