Doctrine: Militia - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doctrine: Militia

Ok This is my first time trying this but I have gone over this in my head a hundred times and I think I have hammer out the worst defects.

This is a new doctrine for a IG army, it represents a force of fanatics rounded up from the local populous to repulse a invasion. They have little or no training other than having lived all their lives "In the cruelest, most bloody regime Imaginable." As such their weapons are sub-par, and they have few vehicles but on the flip side watch for falling objects...

[new doctrine] Alternate regimental organizations

Militia: This force is a rag-tag group of Imperial Citizens and misappropriated vehicles gathered together and equipped under emergency conditions. Though some few such regiments continue to be organized in this manner after the crisis ends they are usually retrained and formally inducted into the guard. Militia are armed with what ever they can scrounge or salvage

the regiment may not include the following units
    Sanctioned psykers
    Commissars (Unless they also chose the Independent Commissars doctrine.)
    Ogrynes
    ratlings
    armored fist squads

All heavy support becomes O-1 as do hell hounds
    The following weapons are not available to troops in this army (They may still be used on vehicles.) Melta weapons, plasma weapons, lascanons, and all forms of bolt weapon. (Including pintle mounted bolters, but not other vehicle bolt weapons)
    Any unit in this army may take demolition charges as part of the heavy weapons allotment for the squad at +10 pts per model so equipped.
    the army is armed with auto guns and auto pistols rather than the traditional las weapons, this makes no functional difference but should be modeled. (removing the conspicuous 'las' end of the gun works very well for this.)
    Any guardsman may exchange their auto gun for a shotgun at +0 pts.

This army is always the defender in missions that have one, Do not even roll.

Lay of the land: the player for this army may rearrange the terrain in there own deployment zone at the beginning of the deployment phase.
    MAY be combine with special equipment warrior weapons. (This in fact, is encouraged.) [/new doctrine]

Does this seem balanced to you all?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

box
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is very well thought out but unfortunately it just has way to many negatives compard to it's positives. However that re arranging terrain is good.

suf
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with box, at first glance it seems unbalanced and too negative for IG.

Perhaps Lay of the land could be expanded to give militia infantry units permanent soft cover saves (as they always know exactly where to hide).

Or, as they are fanatically defending their own homeworld they are less prone to feel pain and drop out of battle just because they get a scratch or loose an arm, they all get an extra 6+ ward save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Interesting.

You could give make the Light Infantry doctrine cheaper when using Militia.

How will you define the Militia in comparison to Conscripts?

This would be an interesting army:
    Doctrines: Militia, Light Infantry, Heavy Weapon Platoons
    Favoured Weapons: Grenade Launchers and Demolition Charges.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, so its under-balanced. Assuming these guys have almost no Departmento Munitorum support what would you recommend to rebalance the doctrine? I had considered giving them the option of taking one set of up to 3 'booby traps' from the catachans codex as HS. Would that work?

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Since conscripts are already sort of militia, maybe have conscripts replace the infantry platoon and you can take only as many infantry platoons as you have conscript platoons. And heavy stubbers are the common ghetto weapon, so maybe they should be able to get those or something. On the other hand, the "all heavy and hell hounds become 0-1" doesn't seem to do much except instead of taking a russ and 2 basilisks, you would have to take a battle russ, a basilisk, and maybe a demoliter( can't spell... sry...). Some tanks are rarer than others, so maybe make it so the militia can't take those. (ex: russ demo). Are sentinals more common than hellhounds and stuff? And I think that guard heavy weapons squads wouldn't be 0-1. Heavy weapons like missile launchers and heavy stubbers are pretty common (especially the stubber), unlike plasma and melta. Also, maye warrior weapons should be compulsory as a doctrine, or intigrated. You have a good point when you said that taking it was recommended, so maybe it would make sense to incorparated it. I like the idea of this doctrine. An army of the average joe trying to kill off a bunch of nids or Chaos smurfs. Sounds like fun.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been considering having conscripts switch places with normal squads. i.e. you have conscripts as your defacto troops and must expend a doctrine point to have access to 'normal' platoons. i am not sure if that is a good Idea though. While it makes sense the Army is already more divergent than the catachans. Also I am starting to think that the army should still be able to field las canons, lasers are so ubiquitous in the Imperium, and big clunky ones are easier to make than the man portable models...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

You could defenitly add some rough riders, as they are experts at trecking in their home worlds, and great scouting parties.

Using the conscript rules as your troops could be a good thing, with a special ''attached commissar'' rule to keep them in order, and giving them a fighting chance in CC.

Ratlings are very specific, and might not fit in with the army, and the regular ogryns are supplied ripper guns by the imperium, and brain surgery also, maybe replacing them by feral ogryns would add to the theme ou are looking for.

To represent the rare supplies, simply limit squads to 1 special weapon of quality, or 2 ''made in Taiwan'' ones.

Good concept I'll stick around on this one ^_^
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would their HQ choices look like?
    "Through most of the war we fought as nobles might. Never betraying, never decietful. But there came a point where tripping the soldier next to you might mean another day of life..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Commisars, possibly head gangers or a bunch of veterans sergeants ent to recruit the scum of the universe!
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast