WFB non-chaos Norse - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

WFB non-chaos Norse

I have often toyed with the idea of a Norse army who although not a 'good' race are not all the way chaotic, and follow their own pagan gods not the four gods of chaos (basically like historic norsemen/vikings)

can anyone point me in the direction of any established lists made for all norse armies? or suggest amendments and/or stats for the troops set out below:

Heroes

King
    the norse have many petty kings, he is the most senior of the earls and elected to lead the war party

Earl
    Chief among the kings warriors, the earls bring their own warbands to join the throng

Shamen (need a better name)
    scriviners and sorcerors, they check the omens before the battle and hurl curses towards the enemy as battle is joined

core

1+ Bondsmen (as Marauders)
    The basic norse troop, equipped with mail, spear and shield, and also the heavy norse sword- excellent and hardy hand to hand fighters

Bondsmen Cavalry
    Spear or bow armed bondsmen sent to harry enemies flanks *fast cavalry*
    Slaveband

Huntsmen
    bow armed troops, expert shots *skirmish*

Beast handlers
    Drive war hounds towards the enemy ranks, although sometimes handle wolves or bears

Norse Dwarf Clansmen
    Marauding dwarves join the norse throngs to gain beloved gold, they are armed with shield hand weapns and light armour

special

Huscarls
    The household troops of the norse lords, the best and most disciplined of the norse troops, armed in the best armour and with double handed axes *stubborn*

0-1 Berserkers
    bezerk lunatics who will fight to the bitter end in their frenzy to kill the foe *frenzy*

rare

0-1 Ulfwerener
    Lycanthropic shapeshifters, before battle they change into giant slavering wolf-men, using their teeth and claws to devour the enemy *frenzy,bloodgreed, cause fear*

0-1 Dogs of War
    Norse are fiercly proud warriors and will not employ others to fight for them, however some famous regiments of renown are attracted to Norse marauding warbands in promise of plunder- only certain units are allowed however. The Norse general may choose on of either:
    Bugmans Rangers
    Bearmen of Urslo
    (any more suggestions)

Last edited by Sir Theobold the Lame; July 13th, 2005 at 19:25. Reason: amendments
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x5)

I like your idea of a norse army, you still can do it the now but its kinda not that good since you cant have a warriors or knights.

About the 0-1 Ulfwerener Lycanthropic shapeshifters, before battle they change into giant slavering wolf-men, using their teeth and claws to devour the enemy *frenzy,bloodgreed, cause fear
    If you were make some rules up for him, i wouldnt mind seeing them.

what about chariots, cause i think marauders would have them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Morden
    I like your idea of a norse army, you still can do it the now but its kinda not that good since you cant have a warriors or knights.

About the 0-1 Ulfwerener Lycanthropic shapeshifters, before battle they change into giant slavering wolf-men, using their teeth and claws to devour the enemy *frenzy,bloodgreed, cause fear
    If you were make some rules up for him, i wouldnt mind seeing them.

what about chariots, cause i think marauders would have them.

i thought about chariots, but they don't really fit into the historical norse feel im going for, that would be more of an Albion army- i agree without knights they lack punch, although the Huscarls would be comparable to chaos warriors.

I got the names of the units from the old Man-O-War Norse fleet lists so they are GW-ish, i couldnt have devised Ulfwerener myself!

to compensate for the lack of mobility i was thinking maybe they could have their own special rules, such as:

Shieldwall

Bondsmen and Huscarls (if armed with shields and hand weapons) can make a dense shield wall, this affords them a +1 armour save against missile attacks, any units fighting a shieldwall can only hit on a roll of 6+ in its first turn of hand to hand combat

that was off the top of my head, so any improvements?
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Provided your friends agree with it, you could also simply use the DoW. Using Marauders as core instead of Special.
    Pay-masters as Earls. Or Totem/Standard Bearers or what you want to make of it.
    Light cavalry as Bondsmen cavalry.
    Dwarfs there are already.
    You could also ask to bring in units from other armies. Like Hunting Hounds, Huntsmen and Wolf Kind from the Middenheim army.

Just an idea. Some feddling with existing armies, provided it stays balanced and your friends agree, is a lot simpler than creating a completely new army.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

($#&# I lost the screen with my original post before I put it out)
    I am figuring this a s4 / t4 army, if not you could make your own changes we could figure out point changes.

Norse Beserkers Points/Model: 12
    - - -
    m-4 ws-4 bs-x s-4 t-4 w-1 i-3 a-1(2) ld-8
    - - -
    Size: 8-25
    Equipment: Hand Weapon.
    Options: (Must be given one of the following two upgrades
    -Additional Hand-Weapons (+2pts/model)
    -Great Weapons (+4pts/model)
    -Champion Upgrade (+8pts)
    Special: Berserk, Skirmishers.
    (Berserk: Subject to frenzy and independent characters cannot join this unit and friendly unit cannot come withing 6" of them)

"The Beserkers are a loose and disorganized band of crazed warriors that have a weak grip on reality. The others stay far away from these nuts, but on the field of battle their bloody frenzy is a site to be seen."

Bondsmen Points/Model: 8
    - - -
    m-4 ws-4 bs-x s-4 t-4 w-1 i-3 a-1 ld-8
    - - -
    Size: 10+
    Equipment: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Shield.
    Options:
    -Spears at (+2pts/model)
    -Musician Upgrade (+5pts)
    -Champion Upgrade (+10pts)
    -Standard Bearer Upgrade (+10pts)
    Special:

Huscarls Points/Model: 16
    - - -
    m-4 ws-4 bs-x s-4 t-4 w-1 i-4 a-2 ld-9
    - - -
    Size: 10+
    Equipment: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Halberd.
    Options:
    -Shields at (+2pts/model)
    -Musician Upgrade (+5pts)
    -Champion Upgrade (+10pts)
    -Standard Bearer Upgrade (+10pts)
    Special: If joined by an Earl or a King, this unit becomes Stubborn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x8)

good work bruiser, i like those a lot

anyone got any suggestions for minis? the west wind nordvolk are suitable for bondsmen and huscarls, but anyone know of any suitable beserker or ulfwerner minis that would fit in with GW stuff
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

One point though, humans are M4 S3 T3 W1. With WS, BS, I etc you can rummage what you want but some characteristics of humans are set.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Araith
    One point though, humans are M4 S3 T3 W1. With WS, BS, I etc you can rummage what you want but some characteristics of humans are set.

Tai'shar
    i agree, certainly the bondmen should be as per other humans- speciafically chaos marauders, however Huscarls, as elites should have s 4 t 4 as per chaos warriors IMO
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but almost any other RPG or fantasy type story world have 'northmen' who are always these bulky, tall white dudes wearing fur and stuff, so on. I said you could change everything down to s3 and t3 as it would still make sense just the points would be cut in half roughly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

You can allow either S4 or T4 to show a particular frenzy or resilience from varuis sources, but usually not both, unless a rare or very special unit.

Here's what I suggest using for stats (this is a purely long shot)

King
    Earl
    GW published the Norse caracters for Lustria, I suggest to use the same stats and equipment.

Shamen (need a better name)
    Chaos sorcerer? better name : Augure
    Perhaps an option to make him a shapeshifter, with a ceremonial blade (killing blow)

core

1+ Bondsmen (as Marauders)
    The basic norse troop, equipped with mail, spear and shield, and also the heavy norse sword- excellent and hardy hand to hand fighters

Bondsmen Cavalry
    *fast cavalry* marauder horsemen?

Slaveband
    simply empire soldiers (ws3) with hand weapons and shield option, and musician

Huntsmen
    expert shots *skirmish* huntsmen with a BS of 4? or no penalties for long range or moving.

Beast handlers
    a wolf pack (god I am not funny!) 1 handler for 3 wolves, with whips to attack from the second row.

Norse Dwarf Clansmen
    --shield hand weapons and light armour-- I disagree, no dwarf would leave is hold without a sturding heavy armour, especiall to battle in the blazing cold. standard dwarf warriors with Ld 8, to represent the fact that they are not amongst thier kin.

special

Huscarls
    *stubborn, Immune to panic*
    Ws 5 S3 Ld 8, +1 If joined byt the Army's general (upgrade to kings personnal guard 0-1 per army
    Great Weapons, Heavy armour, sheild, hand weapon

0-1 Berserkers
    * Eternal frenzy* 2 hand weapons, no armour, WS2 S3 T4, I4 at -1 to hit, to represent the reckless fighting style, and high endurance to pain. May not be joined by caracters, may not use the general's leadership or BSB

rare

0-1 Ulfwerener
    Skirmishers, Call of the Wolf,bloodgreed, cause fear, killing blow

Call Of the Wolf:

May only be joined by an Augure of the Shapeshifter kindred.

At End of the Norsemen player's turn, the controlling player may declare that is Ulfwerener will shapeshift to the werestate, gaining frenzy +1S, +1T and +1A, bloodgreed, fear and killing blow.

In the fallowing turns, they sufer D3 casualties, representing thier members either succombing to the shapeshift or completely loosing control and wandering of to the wilderness.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast