(whfb) Suarus [B]UNDIVIDED[/B]?! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

(whfb) Suarus [B]UNDIVIDED[/B]?!

When you say "undivided", most people think of those 5 Chaos Knights that just kicked the snot out of you last game. The ones ranked 'the best cavalry unit in the whole game' by GW. Well, I found a match for them.

My new nemesis on the field of battle is a simple one, Suarus Spearmen. These guys are unstoppable thanks to a lovely FAQ posted by GW. All saurus have 'primal fighter', which grants every Saurus +1 attack. If you armed them with spears for extra points, they lost this ability, but got to fight in 2ranks, so the attack value was equal. So it is fair that GW changed that little subject. The problem is HOW!

They now say that saurus in the front rank maintain their status as 'primal fighters', and the saurus in the rear get to use their spears. Umm... last I checked that was 15 S4 attacks in defense :mad: . Not too bad... yet.

Now, assuming that you actually do survive, and maybe win the combat, you have to remember that Saurus are 'cold blooded'. They roll 3 D6 for Ld, and discard the Highest. They are not going to run- at all.

We have not even gotten to the part about spawning them to death. Extra attacks, extra armor saves, all can be achieved through spawnings! Now throw a character in there, that unit is ready to mince that Chaos charge!

Fortunately for those of us who do not have scales and funny tongues, there is a way to eliminate this trouble. In the rules, it states that if you can slay every model in the front rank, the models behind them (who move forward) will not be able to fight. So sharpen your lances and ready your chariots, because we need to kill 4-5 T4 models in one turn of CC.

My suggestion, in the LOTR book, it states that a spearman cannot attack over the shoulder of a 2-handed weapon, because of the wide arcs required to swing the 2hand weapon. Saurus fighting with primal instincts will also be flailing. I say that they tone-down 'primal fighters' so that it is only effective on the first turn of combat, then the spears may be used. Make the spears option cheaper, so it stays balanced. This change would bring back the need to assault your enemy, like lizardmen are made to. ^_^

Last edited by CaptainSarathai; July 16th, 2005 at 19:46.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

I don't agree. It's quite balanced. They are good, but you pay for it all. Plain (as I mostly use them) they cost 12 pts (and are worth every single one). With spears they cost 14 pts/model. And spawnings cost points too. These spawnings of extra armour and the extra attack (only on the charge however) cost 30 points for a unit.
    For a unit of 20 with spears, full command and one of those more expensive spawnings it would be 340 points. That's quite a lot.
    And it's Predatory Fighters.

There's only so much that Cold Blooded can do. Slam in their front and flank them with cavalry at the same time and the odds are that they'll run. If you can't beat them head on, do it smart and use tactics.
    And Chaos Knights might be the best cavalry out there. But that doesn't mean they must run over everything they encounter. High Elf Spearmen won't run either, attacked in the front.

They aren't flailing weapons about. That second attack is a bite attack. When I move to bite, my head moves somewhat down, that's no argument.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Two things against that argument (yeah, I'm a stubborn jackass):
    First: The points cost given is not much off from the cost of Chaos Knights
    Second: High Elves have a better chance at running, and only get those 15 attacks if they have three full rows attacked from the front. THe lizards can take more casualties before you put a dent in those attacks, not to mention that they have higher S and T.
    Third: Not many people will field a full command squad. A musician only helps in tie-breakers and if you run, a Standard Bearer helps combat resolution by 1pt. Both of those things are wasteful on a unit that can stand to lose and still pass it's teasts. The Champion is the only thing that anyone would want to take, because he adds 1 extra attack.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you figure its that overpowered? It only allows the second rank to make 'one' extra attack. Its not that big of deal, especially when it costs 2 points per models for the entire unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

That's a clear statement Bruiser. And I agree.

And Sarathai, where Saurus get higher S and T, Elves get higher WS and I. And when the front ranks gets wiped out by a cavalry charge, the Elves still have got 2 full ranks to fight with. The Saurus half as much.

And most people do field full command with Saurus. For the same reasons as any infantry block takes it.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you are also inaccurate in a few ways. The expensive spawnings do not simply grant extra attacks and better armour like you say they do. The one that grants extra attacks is only given on the charge, and saurus a relatively slow compared to elves, ogres, or any army with cavalry. The extra armour save is only given to the front rank, as the next rank is using a spear, and not a handweapon / shield combo. Also, even on the charge, only the front rank is benefiting as the spears do not fight in two ranks on the charge, they fight one less they would normally do so it is exactly the same.

Hopefully you read this and make some sense out of the blatant inaccuracies and improper use of the english language you call a post.

+ Reply to Thread