Librarium Online Forums banner

Soul Drinkers, home made special character rules

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  BillyBob 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I read crimson tears for the third time last night, and I've finally got around to writing some rules for them. I think they're pretty good myself, and i've made Tellos really hard to represent...well the fact that he is really, really hard, and probably one of the coolest characters in the series...before he turned. So anyone else like to give their opinions on the rules? I didn't bother with Karraidan, as he seems to be simply a terminator commander, and Givrillian, while he was cool, didn't seem to offer any opportunities for cool rules.
So here you go:

Lord Sarpedon, Chapter master of the Soul Drinkers: 210pts
WS:5 BS:5 S:5 T:5 W:3 I:5 A:4 Ld:10 Sv:2+/5+

Wargear: Force staff, bolter, arachnoid legs, terminator honours(bonus included above), artificer armour
Psychic powers: The Hell

SPECIAL RULES
Force Staff: The force staff is a force weapon
Arachnoid legs: Sarpedon was one of the first mutants of the soul drinkers, growing eight powerful spider-like legs during a battle with the former chapter master Gorgoleon. They allow him to move a lot faster than a normal marine. Therefore, Sarpedon counts as cavalry.
The Hell: Sarpedon is capable of tapping into his enemy’s deepest fears, projecting them from his mind as a corporeal psychic image. Sarpedon may cast The Hell at the beginning of the shooting phase instead of firing a weapon. Nominate a unit to use The Hell against – upon the passing of a successful psychic test, Sarpedon can force the enemy to take a leadership test at -2 leadership. If the unit fails, they fall back, in a direction nominated by the Soul Drinkers player. To represent the enemy tripping over themselves or shooting their comrades in panic, roll a D6 for every member of the unit – on a roll of a 1, the model takes one wound with normal saves allowed. Note that Fearless units are not affected by this, and space marines will suffer no modifiers when taking their test.

Assault Sergeant Tellos of the Soul Drinkers:200pts
WS:6 BS:3 S:5 T:5 W:4 I:5 A:5 Ld:10 Sv:3+
Wargear: Tellos’ chainblades

SPECIAL RULES
Tellos’ chainblades: Tellos’ chainblades confer the rending ability on all of his attacks.
Fury: Tellos cuts such a swathe through the enemy that he is highly visible – he can always be picked out as a target, even if he is not the closest target.
Bloodlust: Tellos becomes a maniac in close combat. He longs to tear the flesh of his foes in an orgy of blood and destruction, but this could lead Tellos down the path of damnation… Tellos suffers from Blood Rage as described in the book of Khorne, Codex:Chaos Space Marines. He also gains +D3 charging bonus, rather than the normal 1.
‘Tellos can’t be killed…’:Tellos’ mutated, gelatinous flesh mean that blades and bullets simply pass through him and do no damage as he heals instantly. Tellos’ armour save counts as invulnerable. He also gains the “Feel No Pain� ability.

Tellos’ assault marines: Tellos may lead a squad of his personal assault marines. These count as regular assault marines without jump packs in all aspects (attributes, etc) but cost 20 points. They have +1 attack and suffer from blood rage, like Tellos. They may take no squad upgrades.

Sergeant Graevus of the Soul Drinkers:60pts
WS:4 BS:4 S:4 T:4 W:1 I:4 A:3 Ld:9 Sv:3+
Wargear: Power axe, bolt pistol, frag grenades

SPECIAL RULES
Mutant arm: Graevus’ arm is huge and heavily muscled, and it enables him to carry a power axe like it is a combat knife. Graevus may re-roll all failed rolls to wound because of this.

Leader: If Graevus is used, he must lead a tactical squad. He replaces the sergeant.

Assault sergeant Luko of the Soul Drinkers:95pts
WS:5 BS:5 S:4 T:4 W:2 I:5 A:4 Ld:10 Sv:3+
Wargear: Master-crafted lightning claws with an integral bolt pistol, terminator honours(bonus included above), frag grenades

Options: If the Soul Drinker player wishes, Luko may be equipped with a jump pack for +20 points.

SPECIAL RULES
Inspiring: Luko is an admired Soul Drinker, a pillar of burning righteousness amongst normal men. Any Soul Drinkers squad within 12� of Luko may re-rolled failed leadership tests.

Leader: If Luko is used, he must lead an assault squad. He replaces the sergeant.

Soul Drinkers scout-novice squad
Eumenes:30pts - WS:4 BS:4 S:4 T:4 W:1 I:4 A:2 Ld:9 Sv: 4+
Selepus:35pts - WS:5 BS:4 S:4 T:4 W:1 I:4 A:2 Ld:8 Sv: 4+
Scamander:30pts - WS:4 BS:4 S:4 T:4 W:1 I:4 A:2 Ld:8 Sv: 4+
Nisryus:35pts - WS:4 BS:4 S:4 T:4 W:1 I:4 A:2 Ld:8 Sv: 4+
Raek:30pts - WS:4 BS:4 S:4 T:4 W:1 I:4 A:2 Ld:8 Sv: 4+

Wargear: Eumenes: Bolt pistol and close combat weapon
Selepus: Bolt pistol, Combat knife
Scamander: Bolt pistol, close combat weapon. Psychic powers: Storm of the Emperor’s wrath.
Nisryus: Bolt pistol, close combat weapon. Psychic powers: Precognition.
Raek: Sniper rifle
SPECIAL RULES
Infiltrate: Scouts may infiltrate.
Tactician: Eumenes is a master tactician, bearing the gene-seed of the Givrillian, a respected space marine who was killed by the daemon prince Ve’Meth. At the start of the game, the Soul Drinkers may take Eumenes advice on enemy deployment into account and change the position of one unit.
Knife fighter: Selepus is a powerful scout in close combat, and almost never uses his bolt pistol, being an expert in finding ****** in enemy armour with his blade. He may only ever use his bolt pistol if he is the last scout alive in the unit, but still gets an extra attack in close combat for it. He may re-roll misses in close combat.
Inexperienced psyker: Scamander can use his mind to make flame simply appear on the battlefield in front of him. Unfortunately, this drains his body heat, and can hurt him badly. Every time Scamander uses his psychic power, roll a D6. On the roll of a 1, he takes a wound with saves allowed.
Precognition: Nisryus’ precog powers are incredible – he can see far into the future, even though he is inexperienced as a psyker. As long as Nisryus is alive, the entire unit benefits from a 5+ invulnerable save.
Marksman: Sniper-scout Raek is a near-perfect shot with his sniper rifle, picking out gaps in armour, fuel lines and eyeslits to perform the perfect kill. On the roll of a 6 to hit, Raek has put a bullet straight through a vital part of the enemy. As such, the shot ignores armour saves.
Resourceful: Eumenes’ scout squad has learnt to work differently to other squads, breaking coherency to utilise their trooper’s ability in the best manner. To represent this, Raek and Scamander may be detached from the squad at any point, and “left behind�. Note that they may be detached together, or seperately. If this happens, they may not move or initiate assaults, but may shoot and use powers normally. They may rejoin if the squad moves within 2� of them again. Note that they will fall back and be pinned as normal, but may not sweeping advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the look of the scouts and Luko, but I'm not too keen on Tellos. He was rediculously powerful by the end of crimson tears, yes, but you could have done it to represent him while he was running around the battle barge carving up servitors. He's just too uber-powerful, and quite unbalanced. Just a bit silly, he could do with a lot of toning down.

Scouts are pretty cool though, although there could be a few too many special rules. That's the beauty of fiction writing- you can have them doing whatever the hell you want. When gaming, there's a limit to how complex you can have things. The scouts have all manner of different rules that would slow things down and become kinda irritating if anyone were to try and use them.

I like The Hell though, it's pretty well thought out, but remember that marines are immune to it as well, not just fearless units.

#5 ·
Tellos is way to powerful- a 3+ inv save AND feel no pain? He has like a 5/6 chance of ignoring any wound! Thats insane! Why not just give him a 2+ inv save? The chances to take a wound are pretty much the same, and it takes less rolling.

Also, his Assault marines are better than normal ones, and cost less points? You'd have to have been lobotamised not to take this character! The rest of the characer are cool and stuff, but I think Tellos is way too cheap.

#6 · (Edited)
@mpdscott-in "The Bleeding Chalice" Tellos replaces his fan blades with chainblades.
@phalanx - his assault marines have no jump packs, making them cheaper. Then I've given them the effect of having the Mark of Khorne, which costs 5 points for basic troops.

I'm changing The Hell to be a leadership test at -2, but marines have to pass an unmodified Ld test, as representative of the fact they only pause when Sarpedon casts The Hell in Crimson Tears.
As for Tellos - I've modelled him on a khornate daemon prince without the monstrous creature upgrade, and payed 50 points for the 3+ invulnerable.

#7 ·
I'd say a 3+ inv save would cost a lot more with T5 and feel no pain. I'd say make him about 25-50 points more. With rending and everything, this d00d could take on a whole army and laugh it all.

#8 ·
I suppose so, but in effect, in most army lists where you can buy an invulnerable save it doesn't make a difference what toughness they are, but i suppose you're right. I based him on the book of khorne, which unfortunately is the most underpriced Chaos book for what you can make (11 attacks for 165pts!). Still, i reckon you could make a daemon prince or a dark eldar lord who could beat Tellos in combat. Or you could blow him away on his way there - i mean boltguns are gonna make no difference whether the save is invulnerable or not.

#9 ·
The feel no pain thing makes a large difference. He's nearly immune to lascannons because he still gets his inv, and the feel no pain. The only way to take him down would be a necron lord with a warscythe in cc. Or a c'tan or something.

#10 ·
I don't believe you get feel no pain from weapons that ignore your save. And besides, what if you have a khornate daemon prince with feel no pain and a berserker glaive? Same difference, he still gets his invulnerable and feel no pain and doesn't have to worry about instant death from lascannons.

#11 · (Edited)
Good idea although i would change sarpedon's psychic power to fear the darkness if you read that in the space marine codex it sounds similar to the hell that Sarpedon does. In fact i beleive that the designers put Fear the darkness in to do just that so other Psykers could do what Sarpedon does.

#12 ·
Its pretty much the difference between a 5/6 chance of passing a save and a 3/4 chance of passing a save. And 8% increase in save potential is pretty big. And FNP works against all weapons that don't insta-death you or ignore save in cc. You would get it against an LC if your T5.

And I believe a point was already made about Kohrnate Daemon Princes being undercosted.

#13 ·
I really like your idea's about Sarpedon his rules look pretty good except, Only having Hell for a psychic power seems kinda restricting (he is the chief librarian of the soul drinkers), he should have a few psychic powers to choose from and select one to use for the game. Example: He start with Hell. he could choose Might of heros, Veil of time or Fury of the ancients. He chooses Might of heros, so he can use Might of Heros and hell for the duration of that game. Of course this wold hike up his point cost by like 20p.

#14 ·
Forgive me for performing some "Thread Necromancy" here, But I was googling about Soul Drinkers and ran across these rules and this forum.
Being a Soul Drinker player, I could NEVER get anyone to abide by these. However, I feel they are very true to the fluff that I've read in all three books. I applaude you for this attempt. The only problem with the whole Soul Drinker thing is that they need to be Codex marines with access to Daemonic gifts.. which is kind of unfair for the most part. Sarpedon's power is, indeed, "Fear the Darkness" in the Marine Codex, as stated. I was so peeved when the new codex came out and I saw that, since there's no way that I coudl feild my Sarpedon as a regular librarian with the model I have. I'll need to make a "pre mutation" auxillary looking like the one on the cover of Soul Drinker
Still, I can only go by either Chaos OR Imperium. I tend to play more Imperial than anything, as I love Chaplain Iktinos. Scouts are a big staple in my army as well. Perhaps I'll post my army sometime soon. I have The following converted and/or painted:
Sarpedon, Sgt. Tellos, Sgt. Grivillian, Pallas, Chaplain Iktinos, Librarian Tyrendian, Sgt. Graevus. Sgt. Luko, sgt. Eumes, Sniper Raek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.