Rules to prevent last turn-objective claiming - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Rules to prevent last turn-objective claiming

I just came to think of something, isn't it a bit dull to play an objective based game when all you have to do is zoom over to the objective on the last turn to claim it? Fast and light vehicles/squads have a great advantage here, even though the most logical choice for holding objectives should be sturdy units. Example: A 10-man space marine squad is positioned within 6" of a loot counter, the Space marine player got the first turn. On the very last turn, the Eldar player moves his Vyper jetbike 24" and gets it within 6" of the counter. Now it is contested, and the Space Marines do not get any VP for it even though that Vyper by itself wouldn't be able to hold the position.

A solution?

Inspired by the claiming of strategic points in Dawn of War, maybe you could get victory points for each turn you are holding an objective? This way you'll want durable units to stand their ground there during the game, and not just at the end.

I don't know really how many VP/turn they should generate, I guess it depends on game size and amount of objectives. But it should be worth it to claim them at least, and hold them during the game. Another thing, what if they should lose the objective at the end of the game? Should they get any VP at all if lost, or should there just be a bonus if you still have it when the game ends?

Any thoughts?

Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

I think you're on to something, maybe 20-50 VP per turn?

Doing this will reward players who take large squads to secure objectives as the units will have staying power (this will work in reverse, players who take small squads will have a harder time securing objectives).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or maybee 10% of points played. begining at turn 3

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Why not split the points?
    Normally it goes: In a 1800 points game each of the three objectives is worth 600 points.
    It could be split once again, so each objective would be worth 100 pts a turn.

Just a thought...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

A problem that came up is how we should do with the fast "Raider" type armies out there, is this robbing them too much of their advantages? There should definately be a bonus for holding the objective at the end of the game, but is it enough to help those armies regain ground?

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

Those raider armies can also get to an objective fast and guzzle up some vp for a few turns while you occupied with other threats, and then hide when those are tken care of. I don't think speedy armies would have any disadvantage- more likely a bigger advantage.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

This is a fine idea I'd love to play with. I don't think its unfair to speedy armies- one has to balance taking the objective quickly vs. taking an objective with a force strong enough to hold it.

I do think holding the objective at the end of the game should give a small bonus in points, maybe 50%-80% of what one would get for holiding it for a turn, in addition to the points one would get for holding it in the final turn.

Please play a few games with this and tell us how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

I'm gonna try it out today at my gaming club, I will let you know how it turned out. I will play probably just one or two medium sized games, using different armies.

You have a point about the fast armies, since they can score some points by getting there on turn 1...

I like Andacassius' idea about splitting the points, and then we can just add the bonus points. I think holding it at the end should give you points as if it were and extra turn.

Example: Fred moves his space marines to hold the objective on his turn six, he got the first turn. On his buddy's last turn, he annihilates the Marine squad and claims the objective by himself. Fred got victory points for holding it at the start of his turn 6, and his buddy gets victory points for holding it at the end of the game.

Now, these players will get equal points... but should it not be more important to be the last one to hold it? What do you say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the person who holds the pbjective at the end of the game should get a big bonus, because part of winning an objective is timing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well if they get the same amount of points thats like they should get no points.. or am i right??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast