Paper Warhammer 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paper Warhammer 40k

After moving away form my brother I really don't have alot of time to play with other people. I still love to model and paint but I would like to play more often. So I was thinking of developing a paper form Warhammer 40k.

Here are my ideas.
    First I would like to slightly simplify the rules, but I'm not sure how, Just to make thing a little quicker.

Second I have to cut the range down on all the things such as movement and shooting range I'm thinking by half or 3/4.

Third I want to be able to get a piece of paper about 2 feet by 4 or 5 feet to play on and then put epic size terrain on, would this work?

So if any one else out their has tried this let me know.

~~~No1:shifty:

The guilty laugh while the innocent suffer.............WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we did this at school. i cant remember quite hiow we did it, but PM Sir_Penguin for more details.
    I'm actually not in my sixties. For some obscure reason, my age is set 50 years older than what it actually is.
    Also known as Jianaran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah i remember this very well, sitting in the back of class with the smallest dice we could find and trying to make them land on the table. The way we did it was by using hex grid and making the units outta cardboard that stuck down onto the grid. Work gud, although yes rules did change slightly, infact, i think we made up an entirely new set of rules, but with the same basics as MOVE, SHOOT and ASSUALT. Thats pretty much all i remember, but i kno it did well to pass the time :sleep:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I was planing on making markers for troops, viechles and such. Then I will have just random house hold items as terrain (pepper saker,book or two, paint tubes ).

Ill probably test this out soon and post my rules also.

~~~No1:yes:
    The guilty laugh while the innocent suffer.............WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love to know how it runs....ive been wanting to be able to play warhammer over the internet acculy but as net not sure on how to run it...but this could help. Let us know once u have tested and come up with a ruleset. good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK here are my test run rule divergences for Paper WARHAMMER 40K.

First off all squads of troops are designated by a piece of paper, about 3/4 inch by one inch in size, to represent a squad of 10. A squad of more than 10 will require more than one paper marker. Each marker has a squad number on it that will indicate what they are and what equipment they have.

All vehicles will be a piece of paper 1 inch by 1 3/4 inch in size. It will also have a number on it. It would also help if you colored your markers as to help distinguish them from other army's.

+ All ranges are halved (i.e. movement, firing range, assault range, etc.)

+ Movement that usually requires a D6" range is reduced to a D3" range.

+ All models that are behind cover get a cover save, as long as it is not completely blocking line of sight.

+ All models, vehicles, charters, etc. are designated by a paper 'marker' with a number or symbol to represent what it is.

+ Unit coherency is now that the markers must be touching on troop markers.

Thats what I got so far. I hope I didn't miss much, but if any one else has any good ideas let me know. I will do a battle report with theses rules in the 'Battle Report' forum soon, which I'll post a link to.

Wish me luck.

~~~No1:sleep:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to see how this turns out. Can't wait till you post the report. How big are u planing on these games being?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of design considerations, depending on what your main goal is:

1) Instead of paper markers, how about something like Epic Bases? That would give you uniform pieces that are much more robust than paper.
    2) These pieces could be painted to differentiate armies

If you're after something portable, then this will travel well and be useful. If your driving goal is cheap and easy, then paper will still be the way to go.

3) Consider replacing inches with Centimetres rather than just halving ranges. This will give you something that's about 40% of the size, rather than half size, and so will make the game board even smaller and more portable.

4) Your paper 'board' will be more robust if you laminate it. You might be able to scam something at school for this, or even at a public library(?) to keep your cost down. :shifty:
    You will also be able to draw terrain features on the board with a whiteboard marker if you laminate. If you do this, you can use different coloured markers to represent different terrain/height/passability

5) A cardboard tube (postpack-style) will help you transport the 'board'

You've probably thought of all this, but these ideas came rapidly to mind.

Have fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the point of playing paper 40k would be to have it be cheap and easy. Just me, though.
    Please read the rules regarding what is permissable in signatures

^Left there as my self-inflicted punishment.
    LO is the first forum I joined and it introduced me to the world of internet forums. Thanks, guys!

+ Reply to Thread