Close Combat Modification - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -26 (x0)

Close Combat Modification

I am trying out a mod for cc in my gaming group.

When models are engaged in cc and they get multiple attacks they can designate i or more attacks as deffensive "blocks" or parries" instead of actual attacks giving them an additional +1 armor save per deffensive maneuver performed. What do you think of this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

It would be very easy for a multi-attack model to render themselves near invulnerable, and in any case I can't really see the logic behind such a mechanism. Parries and blocks should reduce your chance of being hit.

Rather than armor I'd make it so that for each 'block' made you roll an attack as normal. If you score a hit, instead of inflicting damage you cancel one attack your opponent makes at an Init count equal to or lower than the attack you just made. I would also say that the attacks of monstrous creatures or walkers cannot be parried except by other monstrous creatures or walkers.

This move would be little use on the attack when you want to inflict as much damage as possible, but on the defense it would be superb. My Sisters of Battle would use it all the time as there is generally little chance of them inflicting much damage with a basic S3, but they are often attacked by power weapons or power fists and so would love to cancel some of these attacks.

This rule would strongly favour the defense, and would make large blocks of even quite weak enemy troops very hard to inflict damage on in cc. It might be necessary to introduce some rule to prevent the near-automatic cancellation of all power fist type attacks (at Init 1 a sensible opponent will choose to let the enemy hit with his ordinary attacks, then load his parries onto the PF hits).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Dp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I think it sounds quite neat really! But in practice...

I know the Aun'Shi the Tau Ethereal has a special rule like this - something like every attack you give up can reduce the number of hits or something like that...

I could see it becoming fairly frustrating (say your raveners attack my squad of stormtroopers and the stormtroopers last for the whole game in close combat because they've blocked so much - that would probably annoy you)

So maybe it could only be applied to elite units and HQ's??? Or Fast Attack choices?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Solo
    I think it sounds quite neat really! But in practice...

I know the Aun'Shi the Tau Ethereal has a special rule like this - something like every attack you give up can reduce the number of hits or something like that...

I could see it becoming fairly frustrating (say your raveners attack my squad of stormtroopers and the stormtroopers last for the whole game in close combat because they've blocked so much - that would probably annoy you)

So maybe it could only be applied to elite units and HQ's??? Or Fast Attack choices?
    Roll a hit roll to see if your model gets himself into the blocking position/sees the attack in time, and roll a "wound" roll against the attacking strength vs your own strength to see if the attack is blocked?

IE

Brother Jimbob the SM attacks Trooper Bob in close combat. Trooper Bob defends himself. He rolls a 5, so he blocks successfully, then rolls a 4. Strength 3 vs Strength 4, by the usual wound chart, needs 5+ to mitigate again. Bob's weapon is cleaved in two, he fails his 5+ armour save, and he dies.

Eldar Guardian Sue attacks Chaos Marine Willy. Willy, for whatever nonsensical reason, defends himself. He rolls a 6, so he obviously gets himself to where he needs to be in time. His second roll is a 2. Strength 4 vs Strength 3 needs a 4 to work by the chart, so he blocks. Eldar Guardian Sue's successful attack is cancelled.

+ Reply to Thread