Not the same points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Not the same points

A house rule in my house is you on't have to have precisely the same point values as the other players. You just have to have inside a 300 point margin, because since when were opposing armies the same size? Of course, friends with less points than us protest, but it's our house...

_______________________________________________ __
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Errr.... That's nice. Anything the rest of us can contribute here?
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

OK, I should've put down DO YOU THINK THIS RULE IS A GOOD ONE, AND D'YOU THINK IT WILL REALLY EFFECT THE GAMEPLAY?

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

A 300 point margin? It sounds a little extreme to me, anything over 25 points over the limit (i.e 1525 in 1500 point game) will start to affect gameplay, it will probably give you enough points to give model A a power weapon or make a chaplin the three wound version.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by samu1710
    DO YOU THINK THIS RULE IS A GOOD ONE, AND D'YOU THINK IT WILL REALLY EFFECT THE GAMEPLAY?
    Not as a house rule no, not really a good idea. The points system is there to keep games balanced. With most games in the neighbourhood of 1500pts then a 300pt leeway is about 20% extra and that can definately swing game balance. But then- it's your house, your hobby- play it how it works for you.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I know, but sometimes the challenge of fighting an army 20% larger than mine is very appealing, and squelching people trying to do the same thing is an attractive thought, too. Usually we keep the margin at 50pts, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Do you actually play 300 pts underdog, or do you only make your guests do that?

I've got no problem with different pointed amies, but its kinda pointless to have that in a one-off game with standard scenarios. If you made a scenario that was easier for one player to win, but made him take fewer points- now that would be fun!

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Ok is this a case of everyone just bringing what models they have and playing as long as it within 300pts or litterally you saying we will play a 2000pt game and then on the day unlucky sucker I was 300pts over DIE DIE DIE. If it is the former fair enough your "guest" has a fighting chance if he brings along his entire collection if it is the latter do you ever play the person twice?

Surely the fact that they protest indicates that they aren't exactly having fun with the games you play.

I remember reading in a white dwarf a guy preparing for a tournament (actually in warhammer but same difference) and I don't remember the exact context but he did say once you get over 250pts its virtually impossible for the opponent to win.

In the second edition i was on the recieving end of a 550pt margin (or to put it another way two land raiders and a vortex grenade extra) and I got a serious beat down.

Next time you play allow your oppenent to have a 300pt margin in a normal game. If he (as I think he will) utterly owns you then then you will realise how pointless such games are. if he doesn't then he clearly isn't that good at the game why do you need such a large advantage?
    My advice would be to not play mess around with the rules system.

Incidentally does your oppenent have any house rules?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Actually, I never play with more points than my adversary. You are probably right in that it's boring, and I don't find it challenging. Actually, I sometimes have 150-200 points less than my enemy, and this house rule can only be accepted by the guy with less points. I like having less points, my opponements are usually younger or weaker and I need a battle, not some brave empire soldiers trying to outdo my hordes of druchii. Even with older, more experienced, and better players I sometimes like to have less points worth of troops, just so that it is more fun. After all, they're only plastic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well at our club we only alow 1pt over. 300pts! imagine that in guardsmen!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast