Mounted Infantry - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    dfg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mounted Infantry

Well I'm im-sip-ered By the moive "the australian light horse", What does every think of an Mounted IG army? The army won't include heavy tanks or tank transports but you could have Mounted Soldiers!
    One question, what is the xeno-riders doc?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I remember reading bout one of these in the old 40K rulebook. It seems like an OK idea..just hard to do.
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Can't you use those Tallarn lancers (or whatever they're called) as Troop choices with some doctrine?

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

dfg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I'll just go and do some writing on it anyway. tallern lancers? don'tcha mean rough riders?

Senior Member Badruk the Mighty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xeno-riders? I think this is what you are looking for, a Chapter Approved page on the GW website. Page 9 has info about using creatures other than horses; Tyrannasaurus Rex anyone?
    http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapter...ure-feature/1/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

don'tcha mean rough riders?
    Yes.

Xeno riders would be great combined with regular Rough Riders. Good for variety too.

Another nice unit idea would be a normal mounted unit with shotguns and the option for a couple of special weapons to add some fire support.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

dfg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool Badruk the Mighty, thanks. just a quick question.....what is the doc xeno-mounts and whats the Pnts cost?

Senior Member Badruk the Mighty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xeno is another word for foreign or alien, so xeno-mounts means alien mounts. Doc is short for document.
    I think this is the part of the doc you are looking for, from the above link.

NEW IMPERIAL GUARD DOCTRINE
    This doctrine may be selected by an Imperial Guard Regiment that has access to Rough Rider Squadrons. Treat this as a special kit doctrine.

XENO MOUNTS (Hunting Lizard)
    Whole squadrons of Rough Riders may replace their horses with hunting lizards at a cost of 4 points per model. Hunting lizards do not have the sheer pace of a horse and do not therefore get a Fleet of Hoof move. They improve the rider's Armour Save by 1 as their thick hides and bulk offer considerable protection. In close combat each rider will have an additional attack at their own Initiative and Weapon Skill but with Strength 4 representing the fearsome bite of the lizard. This attack is unmodified by weaponry.
    Modelling Tip: With a little conversion work, the old raptor style Cold Ones from the Lizardmen classics range could be made into an appropriate Xenos Mount.

Sorry, but you will have to look in the Imperial Guard Codex for Rough Rider statistics and points cost yourself. I don't know what they are myself, as I mainly play Orks. I hope this is of some help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Xeno Rough Riders is something I'm currently considering...

I did a quick n' dirty conversion of direwolves and Cadian body parts, together with lance arms, cavalry legs from a fantasy army (Empire I Think) and ended up cutting laspistols off one arm and glueing them to another for the left side. Looks fine to me.

It sounds very attractive as a unit... but is losing fleet of foot worth it?

Also, one unit of ten with lances, carapace and the vet sgt with powerweapon and is the best? I was considering using two units of six, with similar setup, but is ten the most effective deployment?

12 better than ten, numbers wise,
    Two units charge, can't target both with one unit, harder to wipe two out than one,
    if both survive relatively intact, with no fleet of hoof, both can enter close combat at the same time?

Then again, if one unit is wiped out you're down to six.

But if you are taking three doctrines to do the xeno riders, then it might be better to make as many units as possible to offset the cost in use of three doctrinest

What's your take on these thoughts?
    Harry Lime, 'The Third Man'

"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. "

+ Reply to Thread