Using 40K's ruleset to create a Resident Evil wargame? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using 40K's ruleset to create a Resident Evil wargame?

I don't know how many people here like Resident Evil, but I guess I'll soon find out. Now, as you can tell from the title, I was wondering if anyone would like to assist me in this little "home-project" to create an RE wargame by using the basic rules -movement, attacking etc- from Warhammer 40000.

The main difference is that the army composition rules aren't of use; each player (B.O.W and Human) has a certain amount of points, which are spent on purchasing base models from the availible list and on purchasing upgrades. This allows the players to represent anything from a crack team of military agents to a ravening zombie horde to a desperate group of norms to a single "Boss".
    Oh, and as I just revealed, there are only two "sides"; Humans -as in non-infected meatbags- and B.O.Ws- as in the various form of T-Virus infected and genetically-engineered killing machines churned out by Umbrella's experiments.

So, is anybody interested? As far as I can tell, what I need is this:
    *The basic stats & upgrades for both sides
    *Possible scenarios
    *Anything else that's slipped my mind.

The Grand Necromagus of the LO Codex: Necromancers Design Team.

The Supreme Lance Leader of the Codex: Wasters Design Team.

Cruelty has a Human Heart
    And Jealousy a Human Face
    Terror, the Human Form Divine
    And Secrecy, the Human Dress

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I like the idea, the first game i bought when i got a playstation was Resident Evil 2, what a game!

I think it would be best if the "army" lists were written into the scenario, much like LotR, this would also mean not having to come up with a way of upgrading all sorts of units to make the varieties you were after, they would be preset.

I would like to see an intro mission where there are a few select Crack Commandos and a fair amount of zombies, the objective could be for the commandos to capture a zombie and get him to the transport.

They could capture them by reducing them to zero wounds and having no one else in base to base contact, they could be dragged to the transport at half movement rate.
    The transport could be the train from the end of Resi Evil 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what about those players who want to come up with their own scenario? Then what? And I just realised- by 40K's "normal" standards these guys are going to be pretty low stats -around 3 as the highest for humans- will we need to adjust the "To Hit" and "To Wound" tables? Because a game where neither side can hurt each other quickly grows boring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen Lurker
    But what about those players who want to come up with their own scenario? Then what? And I just realised- by 40K's "normal" standards these guys are going to be pretty low stats -around 3 as the highest for humans- will we need to adjust the "To Hit" and "To Wound" tables? Because a game where neither side can hurt each other quickly grows boring.
    You dont have to go by the fact that because a guardsman is xWS and xBS etc. that a human in your game should be, your only using the core rules, not the lists.
    After playing a few pre made scenarios players should get a feel for what will match up against what, and then be able to make their own scenarios and choose their own forces.
    this would be better done a bit loosely, like say inquisitor, where you don't provide all the rules and encourage players to try things out and experiment.

Another idea would be to come up with a basic statline
    ws-3 bs-3 s-3 t-3 w-1 i-3 a-1 Ld-7 for example,
    and the provide players with a pints amount for adding to it, eg. +1 bs = 10 points, +1 s = 20 ponts etc.
    I wouldn't know how to go about coming up with values though that is why i would say go with the first idea

DjSmed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I think the current to hit and to wound tables already work for characters with low-level stats vs more of the same, so maybe nothing needs to be done ther after all.

Perhaps you'd like to suggest some of the units for the two sides? I can think of some for B.O.Ws, obviously, (Zombies, Hunters, Tyrants etc) but the Humans are a bit more elusive (Victim, Shooter, Low-Level Survivor, High-Level Survivor).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

You have to have a rock hard leader, going back to resi evil 2, either a Leon or Claire type, Hand gun, close combat weapon, but their stats should be boosted and possibly have a multiple shot rule, and give them rending in hand to hand

A fat police man, low initiative, high strength, pistol and baton(close combat weapon)

A young girl/boy, no weapons, hit and run rule, must be kept alive or evil player wins

3 or 4 army guys, these guys should have fairly basic stats but be tooled up, maybe just for these guys it could be worth using some throwing grenades rule, range= 3 times strength, scatter D3, small blast?

DjSmed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking more use generic "categories" for the humans and that way you just need to tweak things a little to make them fit your current force list. A "Victim", for example, is an everyday Joe/Jane- no weapons, no real fighting talent, luck and wits are all they have to keep them alive. This could represent a waitress, businessman, little kid, whatever.

"Shooters" are basically Victims who have the dual advantages of having an actual weapon and being capable of holding it without injuring themselves. Most of the PCs from the Outbreak Files would be Shooters.

"Low-Level Survivors" would be characters who have actually had some training in self-defense; police officers, army soliders, profesionall martial artists etc. "High-Level Survivors" are the most exceptional breed, these are the SEALS, Marines and other high-ranked special combat force members.

Of course, you -or others- can probably think of more/better "archetypes".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I like your ideas, i mis-understood what you meant, thats why i gave my list,

does anyone know how you could go about working out points values?

DjSmed

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Here's an addition to the Zombie part. Maybe an Elites choice, Ganados, Heavy Support, El Gigante. Special Characters, well I think you know where I'm going with this...

Hmm points huh...

Well, basic victims....probably 4 like Conscripts

Enhanced victims...11 like Sisters of Battle

Low Level Survivors....15 pts like Marines

Then Archetypes, around 60 to 70 pts.

How's that for a start?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, like I said we aren't really using the "army lists" selection bit; you have a sum total of points with which to purchase your minions, and a list of minions to choose from. So you can go for one mega-expensive death-dealer, a horde of weaklings, or anything in between.

And I pretty much intended to include every enemy from the RE games; 0, REmake, 2, 3, 4, Outbreak, maybe even Survivor. We still need to come up with stats for the various units as well, not to mention gear/upgrades for the humans- that's what'll let them stand a chance against the B.O.Ws.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast