Post Cost for Xeno Merc for Campaign - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Cost for Xeno Merc for Campaign

Ok I'm designing a 40k campaign right now, it involves an Ork vs. Imperial vs. Eldar vs. Tau battle for control of a planet with a small population of Xenos colonists from a pervious unknown Steallar Realm who be fighting ageinst the Imperials (who want to kill them for their world) and Eldar (to prevent a chain of events from starting 2000 years in the future). The Tau and Orks (they arn't very Orky Orks) want them as allies. They would be feilded as allies in some senarios are as indipendant forces in some senarios in others. Bare in mind when thinking of suggested point values, they are ment to be overpowered, as this race is consiterability move advanced than the other races.

HQ

Xan'Sai'Bek Overseer*
    Pts WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
    ??? 5 5 3 3 3 5 3 10 3+/4+i
    Weapons = TL Heavy Bolt Caster, Phase Blades, Feor Armor, Quadscanner with Targeting Relay

Elites

Xan'Feor'Bek Warrior*
    ??? 4 4 3 3 2 5 2 10 3+/4+i
    Squad = 2-4
    Weapons = TL Heavy Bolt Caster, Phase Blades, Feor Armor and Quadscanners

Troops

Xan'Sor'Bek Defender*
    ??? 3 4 3 3 1 4 1 10 3+/5+i
    Squad = 5-10
    Weapons = Ion Rifles and Quadscanners

Xan'Ska'Bek War Constructs*
    ??? 3 3 6 6 2 2 1 10 2+/4+i
    Squad = 3-6
    Weapons = Harken Pattern Lasers, Suppression Missiles and Quadscanners
    Speical = Can move and fire both weapons, at differnt targets evem,
    Never fail leadership related stuff

*These Units are ment to be comparitivly powerful to space marines, if Movie Maries are dumbed down to Codex Marines for game balance. These guys are dumbed down to this for Game balance. Thats saying alot once you read about their armor....

Weargear
    Quad Scanner = Counts as Targeter (measure before choosing target) and Asupex that always counts as rolling 20'' (yes its on every model)
    Feor Armor = In the Movment phase place Models anywhere on table, they teleported their, they dont scatter, they can be pulled out of CC. Shotting Phase as Normal. Assault Phase moves up to 24'' as a skimmer and ignores difficult, dangerous and impassable terrain checks when its stops. Can do this every turn. Cannot be assualted. If they assualt they can hit and run. Intagrated Phase Blades, Twin Linked Heavy Bolt Casters and Quad Scanner.
    Targeting Replay = Place a Ordanince Template within 48'' of the Overseer, scatter it d6'' S10 AP1 Ignores Cover Saves, Every Turn
    Phase Blades = All hits wound auntomaticly with no protection of any kind possable (no type of save, no feel no pain, etc.)

Weapons
    Ion Rifle S 5 AP 5 Range 24'' Type Assualt 2 Special Best Save Possable 4+
    Harken P.L. S 6 AP 4 Range 36'' Type Assualt 2 Special Rending, Best Save Possable 4+
    Suppression M. S 5 AP 4 Range 48'' Type Assualt 4 Special Pinning
    Heavy Bolt Caster S 8 AP 1 Range 24'' Type Assualt 4 Special Twin Linked

Last edited by Osaria; August 28th, 2006 at 15:10.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Seems interesting, though while reading it over I thought everything seemed balanced until I got to the last 3 wargear entries. Now I understand these guys are meant to be overpowere. but this overpowered? I think some boundaries need to be set, as you will see when I discuss why this list is more than just overpowered.

1). Feor Armor: They can be placed ANYWHERE on the table w/o scattering? And they can still shoot upon moving? That alone is unbalanced. Especially when they can shoot a meltagun equivalent 4 TIMES! That's instant death to, well, almost everything. Completely unbalanced.
    Now lets add in their CC abilities. All hits automatically wound w/ No chance of a save? That's better than the C'Tan Phase Sword on the Callidus Assassin model, and you can only get 1 of those per army. Yet you're allowing upwards of 5 guys use them? I understand they're only S3 but please, these guys are waaaaaaaay overpowered. Oh and I forgot to mention the other good part. They can't be assaulted? WHAT?! AND they can be pulled out of CC? Which almost seems a contradiction b/c how could they back OUT of CC if they can never be brought INTO CC unless by their own accord? So basically they can only be shot to death, they can't be assaulted, and if they assault, they can back out after their turn? Oh AND they have the Hit and Run ability. Oh yeah and they assault 24". This is possibly more broken than Owen Wilson's knose.

This armor is so broken, the titanic looks more intact. Seriously, I know you want an army competetive with marines, but you went waaaaaay overboard. These guys could pretty much destroy singlehandedly any force out there.

2). Targeting Relay: Basically your Leader has a Railgun shot EVERY turn? This coupled w/ Feor Armor is beyond unbalanced. It's like having the Tau have a DS HH that can move and shoot from turn 1 w/o any penalties.

As for weapons:

Ion Rifle: Looks good, but the whole Best Save possible thing, doesn't sound too fair. Are you saying that a 3+ save marine only gets a 4+ save? Yeah not gonna fly. Drop that rule and it's a decent weapon

Harken P.L.: Again looks good until the special rule. Drop it. Seriously, cuz now you have a weapon which is AP4 and only allows 4+ saves? So your saying that basically it can kill every unit in the game b/c NO ONE gets a save? C'mon.

Suppression Missiles: This weapon is the only one I feel which has no major flaws. Good as is.

Heavy Bolt Caster: Super strong, but its workable. Its good as is.

As to your original question about points costs: If you plan on fielding this and such then here are some suggested points values:

HQ: 5-600 at least
    Elites: Around 2-300 per guy
    Troops: 15-20pts per guy for defenders, 60 points per construct.

This makes it extremely costly to field this guys. Anyways wasn't trying to be mean with my post, I was just shocked at the enormous unbalancing effect some of these guys would have. Good ideas that could still be powerful and competetive with marines, if they were toned down somewhat.
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so If I drop the best save possable 4+ thing those units how much would you say they do down in cost? As for the Feor Armor being so great, I was really thinking of a peice of gear that exists in this science fiction story I wrote, so wasn't thinking of being fair, I was thinking of the 4 characters from that story taking out Holy Terra by themselves....I hate the Imperium....

This is a more toned down version of it:

Feor Armor = Can move up to 18'', split the distance between the move and assault phase. (so it could go 10'' in the movment phase and 8'' in the assault phase. Moves like a Jetbike.
    Intagrated Quadscanner. Still has TL Heavy Bolt Casters.

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Hey no problem. As to your questions...

1). Dropping the 4+ special rule will effect their costs somewhat. For the defenders, w/o the rule they'd prolly be around 10-12pts a guy. They basically look like Tau Firewarriors in stats and equipment. So That sounds a reasonable cost. Though I'd personally drop the 3+/5+i save and make it either a 3+ all around save (in which case I'd make their cost around 15pts a pop) or give them a 4+ save (make them around 10-12pts a pop.)

As for the Constructs, as of now 60pts a guy is alright. I mean they get 6 decent STR shots a turn at different guys. Basically these guys look like tooled up Termies. Here again I'd either give them either a 2+ save or a 4+ Invuln save. Giving them the uber save ability is not balanced esp. w/ their firepower and movement abilities. Also, the "Never fail LD test required" idea is slightly unbalanced. They have LD 10 anyway, so I'd just say that certain negative modifiers don't effect them. Just pick a few though, cuz no unit AFAIK is completely oblivious to LD and can auto pass every test.

2). Looking better on the Armor. For the movement though, just make it 6" in movement, 12" in assault. Some units move like that in the game so this would fit in with already established rules, instead of doing 10 and 8. I mean you move 18" overall anyway so why split those 4 inches? (between 6 and 10" in the movement phase)

Overall lookin better. It' an awesome idea so keep up the work
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

+ Reply to Thread