Rules for Warhammer cricket - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

17 (x1)

Rules for Warhammer cricket

In the ebb and flow of constant battle its hardly surprising that forces might take a break, suit up and knock a few around. The following rules are based on the old (V2 ?) rules when everyone has a movement stat. No weapons, players go at it with raw strength, speed and agility. Can be played on a standed kitchen table, you only have to take a handful of figures and you only need one piece of scenery.

Version 1.0 plays pretty well and I'll probably give it a go this weekend with a mate over a few drinks. Rules for streakers, sledging and beer are included.

Rules for Warhammer Cricket

Team Selection
    Standard army list & points apply for team selection, captain, troops & wargear. Only troops with an A stat of 1 or more may play however any characters may act as cheerleaders. Weapons have no effect so equipment that adds strength, speed, psychology etc are favoured. Teleporters and power fists are not permitted at all.
    Note some characters have non reduceable saving throws (Ragnar Blackmane, Eldar Runic armour etc) which remain in play. Characters are assumed to possess abilities, intelligence, visual effects etc which carry their advantages to gameplay.
    Troops are not bound to their normal unit size and may be purchased individually.

Game start
    The winner of a coin toss decides whether they will bat or bowl first. In addition, the home team also gains a +1 bonus to their Ld stat for break tests.

Standard psychology effects apply. At the beginning of each over, the batsman or bowler must perform a break test. If the batsman is feared by the bowler, psychology will affect the bowler only. If the batsman fears the bowler or the opposing captain, psychology effects apply. If the break test is failed, stats are halved for the remainder of the over.
    Players may use their own Ld stat or the team captain if he is visible. Obviously there is an advantage to the fielding team or to the runner if the current batsman happens to be the team captain. Some characters or wargear may permit an automatic pass which represents the stoicism of the team.

The bowling player may roll up to 1D6 for each M stat. Each 1 or 6 rolled cancel each other out. In the event that multiple 1’s or 6’sare all negated out, a hit is made. If 1’s outnumber 6’s or vice versa, refer to the chart below.
    A roll of two or more remaining 1’s indicates a fumble, no ball or wide and one run is awarded..
    A 6 indicates a critical bowl, LBW or stumps which must be immediately saved. Each 6 immediately after the first (minus negated 1’s) gives -1 to the batter’s saving throw.
    If the saving throw is failed, the batsman is declared out. In all circumstances, only one saving throw is made. If characters or wargear permit multiple saves, choose the best one.
    A bowler may choose to roll dice under their M may be toward the end of play where opposing wickets are plentiful but runs are close. In this case it less dice would mean less chance of a by.

Once a successful bowl has been made (IE, any dice between 1 & 6) it is determined that the batter has bit the ball. The batter must then roll a scatter dice to determine the direction of the strike, then roll 1D6 for each S stat.
    If the ball lands within the M stat of a fielder, see fielding below.
    If the ball lands beyond the M stat of the nearest fielder, a 4 is scored.
    If the ball lands off the table edge, a 6 is scored.
    If the dice roll is equal to or under the M stat of the wicket keeper, the wicket keeper may attempt to run out or catch the batsman based on the fielding rules below.

For simplicity’s sake, each successful hit which is not caught counts as one run. However, advanced players may wish to use these running rules.
    Between creases, the pitch is given to be 10 inches long. For each 10 inches of range in the hit, one run is scored. Where there is insufficient range left to complete a run, the batting player may choose to make a break for it. The nearest fielder moves to intercept the ball (even if the distance is over their normal M) and throws to the nearest wicket. The fielder adds their S + I and compares to the runner’s M+I to determine a save modifier. In some cases this may be a + or -, which the runner must immediately make a successful saving throw. In some cases this may result in an automatic save or an automatic out to represent a novice player being hopelessly outclassed by a character.
    An Eldar Dark Reaper strikes a pitch with 3D6 for a total of 14. One complete run is scored and the player decides to break for a double. The closest fielder is a Space Wolf Blood Claw who adds 4 + 4 (S+I) for a strong, accurate throw at wicket, the DR adds 4 + 4 for an even saving throw. The DR rolls 5, scores 2 runs and returns to bat.

If the ball lands within the M stat of a fielder, the character may intercept the catch. The fielder must roll equal to or under their I on 2D6 to successfully catch the ball and declare the batter out. Characters with an A of 2 or more may re-roll a failed catch once.

Between bowls, the team captain may reposition fielders up to their maximum M range.

Special rules
    At the beginning of each match , team secretly rolls 1D6. The result indicates tinnies of beer available to the team. At the beginning of an over, any number of beers consumed by any players may be used to transfer that number of points from one stat to another.
    A Striking Scorpion bowler consumes two beers at the beginning of an over and moves +2 points from I to S for that over only. The additional S may improve the chances of a bowl out at the expense of catching ability.

Once per innings, each team may call on a streaker to cross the field. Any psychology effects in play are immediately cancelled for the remainder of the current over plus the next one.
    Million dollar hit
    At the beginning of the game, the home team may place a standard anywhere on the field which cannot be moved and decide on a reward. If a strike lands exactly on the target, the batting team may claim the reward.
    Once per over, the wicket keep may attempt to deliver a scathing remark to throw off the batter’s concentration during a shot. Perform a standard SvsT roll. If the sledge is successful, the wicket keeper must force the batter to re-roll one batting dice, either the scatter or one range dice is permitted. The wicket keeper may announce a sledge at any point prior to the batter rolling the scatter dice.
    Any army which includes troops with the Infiltration ability may purchase them as cheerleaders except Eldar which have special rules below. Each cheerleader grants + 1 to any leadership roll required by a team. Note this is in addition to the home field advantage which grants +1 to Ld.
    Any bowl or hit from a batsman or bowler on 4D6 or more which returns all 1’s results in injury and the player must leave the field.

Special rules for Eldar
    Eldar cheerleaders are automatically Harlequins, since that’s what they do. The Solitaire may be purchased as a cheerleader but never a player. Other Harlequins may be purchased as players.

Example of play

An Eldar Striking Scorpion is bowling to Ragnar Blackmane who is on strike with a Grey Hunter as runner. Karandras the Shadow Hunter is wicket Keeper. The Scorpion rolls 5D6, scoring two 6’s and no 1’s. Ragnar must make an immediate saving throw at -1 and saves with a 5. No run is made.
    The scorpion rolls again, with 1 x 1 and 1 x 6 which are negated so a hit is scored. Ragnar rolls the scatter dice and and 5D6 for distance. A strike of 13 inches is scored which lands within range of a Dark Reaper fielder. The Dark Reaper rolls 2D6 to catch the ball, scoring a 6. The catch is dropped and one run is scored. Ragnar chooses not to go for a double.
    The Grey Hunter is now at bat. The Scorpion bowls again, 2x1 and 1x6 so a no ball is called.
    Scorpion rolls again, no 1’s or 6’s but Karandras lets go with some comment about the grey hunter’s mother. Strength 5 vs Toughness 4, the Grey Hunter loses. He rolls the scatter dice, Karandras chooses to let it go. Range is 4D6, scoring 13. Karandras forces a re-roll of the 1 which returns a 5 and puts the strike in range of a Swooping Hawk fielder. The fielder rolls 5 on 2D6 and the batsman is out.

2. Remove Advertisements

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

ummmm....why? Its a neat idea, but then again i say why? somehow i just do see a Guardsmen playing cricket with a Khorne Beserker, i see them solving there differences with guns, (or fleeing in this case)
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

Ha! That sounds great! Only thing is there seems to be some confusion with 40K anf Fantasy... Like psychology and that.

Other than that, I'm gonna give this a try!

And I heartily agree that when my Hive Tyrant gets sick of eating people that he would much rather put on the old whites and have a game!
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

+ Reply to Thread