The Armored Cadre - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

The Armored Cadre

Exactly what it sounds like, a cadre based off of one of my fluff Commanders, Shas'O A'ava Y'aes; The Azure Destroyer.

I got to looking at the Armored Company lists of the Imperial Guard, and then I realized why it seemed so wrong; The Tau depend on tanks as much as the Guard do, if not more, having no dedicated heavy weapon infantry squads.

So here we go... Don't hesitate to point anything out about this, as I am seriously trying to make this into a workable army to try out if one of my friends decides to pull an Armored Company on me.

HQ
    Most Tau who've passed their Trials of Fire are more than willing to accept a Battlesuit if offered, but a growing number of Shas who serve in Hammerhead Gunships and faced the worst of war inside it's hull find it difficult, if not impossible to part with their beloved tanks. Feeling that perhaps such a trend could be beneficial, the Tau high command issued orders for several improved Command Variants of the Hammerhead to be distributed to select commanders within the Empire. The battlefield results of armored cadres led by these Hammerhead CVs have been impressive, and may become the new face of the Mont'ka in the future...

Hammerhead Gunship CV (Command Variant)
    Commander and Crew Front Side Rear BS Points
    Shas'O w/ Shas'Vre 13 13 12 5(5) 140
    Shas'El w/ Shas'Vre 13 12 11 4(5) 115

Type: Tank, Skimmer
    Unit Type: Vehicle

Weapons: A Hammerhead CV is armed with a turret mounted primary weapon system and a hull mounted secondary weapon system, and is equipped with landing gear. It is always equipped with a targetting array (already added to the BS above) at no extra points cost.

The Primary Weapon system is either an Ion Cannon at +15 points or a Railgun at +50 points.

The Secondary Weapons system is automatically a pair of burst cannons at no extra points cost (These are not twin linked and may fire seperately). This may be upgraded to a pair of gun drones for +15 points, a Smart Missile System for +15 points, a pair of rail rifles for +25 points (These are not twinlinked and may fire seperately), or a pair of markerlights for +30 points.

Options: The Hammerhead CV may be equipped with any of the vehicle ugrades permitted in the Tau armory.

Special Rules:

Hardened Crews- The crews of these Hammerheads have been serving together for long periods of time, often even keeping the same tank. As such they have faced the worst of battle and are not easily frightened or startled. All crew stunned results against the Hammerhead CV are counted as crew shaken instead.

They also realize that staying in one spot is what gets tanks killed, and is always moving. A Hammerhead CV counts has having moved more than six inches at the beginning of the game, and must move more than six inches each turn if it is within line of sight of any enemy units.

Shas'O Crew Gunners- The gunners in tanks commanded by Shas'Os are some of the best tank gunners in the Empire, having experienced enough combat to be able to efficiently pick out enemy weak points and strike them. Every turn a Shas'O Hammerhead CV may either re-roll one failed to-hit dice or re-roll a failed to-wound or penetration dice, though not both on the same turn.

Even more elusive than it's Hammerhead cousin, there are a select few Sky Ray Command Variants as well. Rather than directly facing enemy opposition, some commanders found that by observing the movements of their Cadres and providing select support at key points while away from the main chaos of battle. While not as powerful as a Hammerhead CV, it is able to house the facilities to direct not just the movements of a single cadre, but that of several and allows it to act as a mobile base of primary operations. By being able to receive, compute, and sort out data transmitted from almost every part of several Cadres the commander in such vehicles can control and orchestrate operations that would be impossible to oversee otherwise.

Sky Ray Missile Defense Gunship CV (Command Variant)
    Commander and Crew Front Side Rear BS Points
    Shas'O w/Shas'Vre 13 13 11 5(5) 175
    Shas'El w/Shas'Vre 13 12 11 4(5) 150

Weapons: A Sky Ray CV is equipped with Landing gear, and is armed with six turret mounted seeker missiles, two networked markerlights (these are counted as defensive weapons) and a target lock (meaning it can launch it's own missiles, potentially at two different targets per shooting phase). It is also equipped with a Targetting Array at no extra cost (already added to the BS above) and a hull mounted secondary weapon system.

The Secondary Weapons system is automatically a pair of burst cannons at no extra points cost(These are not twin linked and may fire seperately). This may be upgraded to a pair of gun drones for +15 points, a Smart Missile System for +15 points, a pair of rail rifles for +25 points (These are not twinlinked and may fire seperately), or a pair of markerlights for +30 points (Note that unlike the Hammerhead CV, these markerlights are networked).

Options: The Sky Ray may be equipped with any of the following vehicle upgrades: Sensor Spines; Blacksun Filter: Multi-Tracker; Flechette Discharger; Disruption Pod; Decoy Launcher.

Special Rules:

Hardened Crews- The crews of these Sky Rays have been serving together for long periods of time, often even keeping the same tank. As such they have faced the worst of battle and are not easily frightened or startled. All crew stunned results against the Sky Ray CV are counted as crew shaken instead.

They also realize that staying in one spot is what gets tanks killed, and is always moving. A Sky Ray CV counts has having moved more than six inches at the beginning of the game, and must move more than six inches each turn if it is within line of sight of any enemy units.

Enhanced Computer Systems- The Sky Ray CV houses immense computers that organize and display the various information fed to them by the various elements of the Cadre. If one unit spots an enemy unit when Night Fighting rules (Or any unit abilities that mimick them, such as Grey Knight Shrouding and Tau Stealth Fields), or is able to see a unit in an area of woods further than six inches in, then the entire cadre is counted as being able to see the unit and may fire at it at minus one to their ballistic skill (Note the unit must still have line of sight to the unit in question, and only vehicles may fire at units in woods).

Also, all Tau models (Vehicles included, though excepting Kroot and Vespid without a Strain Leader) may take a special three inch move in any direction on a roll of 4+ when enemy units declare a charge againt them, or 3+ so long as the Sky Ray CV has line of sight to the enemy unit before the charge is declared. This is to symbolize an early warning system to give allied units a chance to avoid close combat with superior foes. If the three inch move would take the unit outside of the enemy unit's charge range, the assaulting unit may move any distance up to it's full assault range towards the Tau unit or it may chose to remain in it's place if it proves more advantageous.

Elites
    Often times against Orks and Imperial Guard sheer number of bodies and momentum aquired due to high mass proves to be the downfall of Tau Cadres. Developed in tandem with the XV-88-2 Stormbringer, this lighter Hammerhad forgoes the heavier weapons found on it's normal counterparts in exchange for weaponry suited to deal with high numbers of lightly armored troops.

Hammerhead- Thunderstorm
    Front Side Rear BS Points
    12 11 10 3(4) 85

Options: A hammerhead is armed with a turret mounted primary weapon system and a hull mounted secondary weapon system, and is equipped with landing gear. It is always equipped with a Targetting Array (already added to BS above) at no extra cost.

The Primary weapon system is either a Stormbringer Railgun at +35 points or an Ion cannon at +20 pts. The turret is automatically equipped with a Burst Cannon that fires with the Primary weapon, and is removed with the Primary Weapon on a weapon destroyed result.

The Secondary Weapon system is either a two burst cannons at +15 points for the pair (Note: These are not twin linked and may fire at seperate targets), a pair of a Gun Drones at +25 points for the pair, or a Smart Missile System at +25 points.

The turret mounted Burst Cannon is considered a part of the Primary weapon and doesn't count towards the two-weapon system of the same type limit if two other burst cannons are taken as well.

Options: The Hammerhead Thunderstorm may be equipped with any of the vehicle upgrades permitted by the Tau armoury.

-Stormbringer Railgun: A railgun originally developed for use on the XV-88-2 Stormbringer suit, this is a smaller version of the main Hammerhead railgun fitted to fire only the submunition. No solid shot option is available to this unit.

(All credit for the Stormbringer Railgun goes to Rikimaru, as does the XV-88-2 Stormbringer battlesuit)

Finding the standard Hammerhead Gunship inefficient in the strict anti-armor role, and not being able to use Broadsides effectively due to their slow rate of travel, the Tau developed another Hammerhead variant with the sole mission of hunting and killing enemy armor. Called the Hammerhead ‘Swordfish’, or just Swordfish Gunship, it has become the bane of all armored vehicles on the battlefield to the exclusion of all else.

Hammerhead- Swordfish
    Front Side Rear BS Points
    13 12 10 3(4) 140

Weapons: The Swordfish is armed with a twinlinked Broadside railgun system and a pair of railrifles. It is also equipped with a landing gear and a Targeting Array (already added to BS above) at no extra cost.

Options: The Swordfish may be equipped with any of the vehicle upgrades permitted by the Tau Armory.

Broadside Railgun: The railguns used on XV-88 Broadside battlesuit, they have had the submunnition option removed.

----------------

That's all I have so far, and feature the four main different tanks that I think would make up an Armored Cadre. For Troops I was going to just have devilfish mounted firewarrior squads with reduced cost on the devilfish. I'm unsure at this point, and would like to develope this aspect of the Armored Cadre before I go any further. Plus I'm tired and would like to know if I'm going in the right direction or if I should do something completely different.

Any and all advice, critiques, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-ProfessorCurly-
    (Shas'El Mont'Ein D'ran O'Kroot, "Sel'yon")

"My capacity for hard work is immense. It's my willingness to do said work that's lacking..."

Fluffmaster Clan Member

Shas'El A'ava Mont'Ein D'ran O'Kroot - Tau Fluff HERE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, I would suggest something major to your already promising list.
    ADD BATTLESUITS!

I would suggest adding the Stealth Suits, as well as something like Pathfinders (except in 4+ save suits) and firewarriors (in suits), something like the desert scheme painted Tau army in September WD (US). That army is the legal Armored Cadre varient to what you are presenting.
    If terrorists ask you "Do you have a bullet through your head?" say proudly, with dignity, "No, I do not. Go fish."

Catalysts of Iron/Iron Warriors 0/0/0

Soldiers of the Forge Worlds Clan Founder.

+ Reply to Thread