Ulthwe Strike Force, 4th edition - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Ulthwe Strike Force, 4th edition

Sparked from discussion in this thread: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...tml#post811816, it seems that some members of LO are unhappy with the elimination of the Ulthwe Strike Force from the 4th edition Warhammer 40,000 ruleset. One member even suggested making an unofficial list, and this forum seems to be the best place to do it.

Firstly, let's deal with things in a organized manner. Why don't we start with which units should be available to the Strike Force?

In my personal opinion, the USF should be able to use all of the units included in the Eldar Codex, with the following expections:

Autarch: The reasons for this are mainly the fact that Ulthwe has access to very few Aspect Warriors when compared to other Craftworlds. Secondly, I'd like to say that his +1 to Reserve Rolls would make him something of a no-brainer for USF players, and could quickly get out of control, making the Strike Force almost too good at being in the right place at the right time. I'm expecting debate on this, and I'm more than willing to change my mind.

Wraithlords, Falcons, Fire Prisms: Same reason as was given before, the units in question are just too big to fit through the tiny webway portals, and shouldn't be allowed.

So, let's hear other people's thoughts on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Hive Fleet Scorpii's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wraithlords are no bigger than War Walkers.
    In Hive We Trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Keep it simple and just say that nothing which wasn't permitted under the old Ulthwe Strike Force rules would be permitted under the new.

The only thing which would make sense from a background perspective is to allow Harlequins. The problem is Harlequins bursting out of webgates is extremely fluffy and also extremely difficult to balance.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Hive Fleet Scorpii View Post
    Wraithlords are no bigger than War Walkers.
    Yup, agreed, but they weren't allowed under the older rules, so I see no reason to allow them to be included in the new ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think Dark reapers should EITHER be moved to troops OR be increased in squad number. they are abundant in Ulthwe and should have it represented in their army. as for other aspects: dire avengers-yes, howling banshees- yes, shining spears-no, warpspiders- no, swooping hawks- maybe, fire dragons- maybe, striking scorpoins- maybe, autarchs- no, dark reapers- HECK YEAH! the maybe's are a possibility but i can't decide my self. the dire avegers and howling banshees are the most common of the aspects( see jain zar's fluff) also, nothing without a pheonix lord can be in, because if they don't have a pheonix lord, well they are not the most common then. the spears are the least common aspect on ulthwe as says some of the fluff( WD 322 has a Index Xenos that sort of says that). i can't think of anything else righ now but im sure someone else can.
    Zoe: Doesn't the bible say something specific about killing?
    Preacher: Yes, but it's somewhat fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps.
    -Firefly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Is there anything preventing us from using the RAW in codex EoT? Sure, some stuff is cheaper than they otherwise would be under 4rd edition, such as black guardian jetbikers and fully equipped farseers (with that nice 3rd ed statline ), but other things such as war walkers and vypers gets an increase in price compared to what they would normally cost. I dont have the EoT codex with me, but if I remember correctly the USF armylist should fit with the new 4th edition dex. I will for one use the 3rd ed USF rules untill GW borthers to update it, people cant just expect me to drop my army from one day to another just because it was not good enough to be included in the new edition of the rules..

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Sareld View Post

people cant just expect me to drop my army from one day to another just because it was not good enough to be included in the new edition of the rules..
    I don't see why not. Everyone else has to do so when new rules invalidate their current armies. What makes your case any different?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Firedrake28 View Post
    I don't see why not. Everyone else has to do so when new rules invalidate their current armies. What makes your case any different?
    Because I am better than everyone else, and dont have to arbeide by the same rules.

No? Ok, seriously this time:

I love USF, but my love for any other of the eldar armies are rather limited. It would be like expecting a chaos player to use space marine rules, should the day come where GW decides that they cant be borthered to update chaos any more. And why should any USF player drop their armies? I had a good, long look at my codex: EoT today, and it seems that the rules for USF is completely compatible with the 4th edition eldar codex. Broken down into army subsections, this is the RAW:

HQ:

Spear of Khaine 0-1:

The spear of Khaine has its statlines printed in codex: EoT along with its point cost, which means that you would have to use it with the 3rd edition Avatar stats. The warlocks have their statline and price printed, but codex: EoT doesent specify their equipment, other than that the warlocks have access to items from the eldar armoury, which in this case would be the warlock mini armoury from the warlock entry. This also means that they will get the 'free' items from the warlock entry, though at the price of a 3rd edition warlock I will advice people not to abuse the system and buy hordes of warlocks.

Seer council 0-1:

Again, the EoT dex fails to specify the starting equipment for warlocks and farseers other than that they get access to the armoury, and thereby gets their free items at a reduced cost even. Furthermore, the EoT dex has a seperate statline printed for the farseer which boosts his T to 4, and thereby makes him instakill safe from PotW attacks.. a great boon to those of us (=me) who hates the ideas of farseers being instakilled by the said attacks.

Note: The HQ section is still open to the old seer council of doom tactic, though it is now even more powerful than before. The load of free equipment that you now get could easily unbalance things even more than before, and especially now when we need to ask our opponents nicely if he will do us the favor of letting us use the slightly outdated EoT dex to field the army we love, the last thing we need is to give USF a reputation for being broken. Sportsmanship is the way to let more people use your USF armies, people!

Troops:

Black Defender Guardians:
    As codex: EoT says; use the rules for regular guardians, as found in codex: eldar, and add one point of BS and the tactical Withdrawl special rule.

Black Storm Guardians:
    Again, use the RAW in codex: eldar, and add a point to their WS and the withdrawl rule.

Fast Attack:

Black Guardian jetbikes & Black Vypers:
    Use the RAW. Add one point of BS (and the tactical withdrawl special rule for the bikes), and use the increased point cost listed in the EoT dex.

Heavy Support:

Black Support Weapons:
    Costs more, hist better, tactical withdrawl.

Black War Walkers:
    Use the listed increased point cost, add a point of BS, you got it.

Note: The increased vehicle point costs listed in codex: EoT is increased from the higher vehicle costs in the eldar 3rd edition codex, and you will be paying a higher amount of penalty points for them when using the 4th edition rules. Do this with joy, as you get psychic stuff cheaper than you would in the 3rd ediion rules... You win some and you loose some.

+ Reply to Thread