Shooting into close combat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooting into close combat

Hi,

When battling multiple players(3<) you should be able to shoot into close combat, if it does not contain any of your models. So some friends and i made a rule to disperse wounds across the models of different players.

Example:
    A close combat has broken lose between an imperial(1) and chaos space marines(2) player. The squad of player A numbers 10 guardsmen that is facing an squad of 20 chaos space marines. After the assault phase 5 guardsmen and 20 chaos space marines remain and they stay in combat due to the insane heroism roll of the guardsmen player. Then tau player(3) wants to shoot into the close combat between player 1 and 2. The tau player hitís 15 of the 20 pulse rifle shotís fired. Now our rule is kicking in!!!

Before rolling to wound divide the hitís equally between the two players. To resolve uneven wound player 1 and 2 each roll 1d6. Who ever rollís the highest getís the remaining hit. Now player 3 can roll to wound rollís on the guardsmen and chaos space marines. This way the thoughness of the different units can be used in the to wound rollís.

Now there is still a difference in the size of the squads. The chaos space marines occupy more space than the imperial player, so itís rather unfair to disperse the hits equally. To solve this we apply the outnumbering rule. In this case player 2 outnumbers player 1 by 4:1. Now player 2 must roll 4d6 and each roll of 4+ removes a hit from the guardsmen and incurs one extra hit on the chaos space marines. Now the hitís are resolved as fairly as possible.

Table for outnumbering and shooting into close combat:
    1:1= 0d6
    2:1= 2d6
    3:1= 3d6
    4:1= 4d6
    etc.

!!!Feedback, please!!!

At your service,

Kaaz

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Hive Fleet Scorpii's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't suppose you did a search to see the 700 other posts with this topic? Other than that, it doesn't seem to be all too good of a system. Doesn't take size or numbers into account as much as I think should be there, and it still leaves it with units HAVING to take at least 1/3 hits, instead of pretty random fire. and did you mean 1d6 for the 1:1?
    In Hive We Trust

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hive Fleet Scorpii View Post
    I don't suppose you did a search to see the 700 other posts with this topic? Other than that, it doesn't seem to be all too good of a system. Doesn't take size or numbers into account as much as I think should be there, and it still leaves it with units HAVING to take at least 1/3 hits, instead of pretty random fire. and did you mean 1d6 for the 1:1?

This is his first post ever. Maybe you shouldn't be so harsh about using the search function.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if I was harsh. Didn't mean to be. *Offers various condolences and regrets to those who were offended by 2 posts up*
    In Hive We Trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These rules aren't done yet (it's quite obvious) But in playing 40K just a couple of months so i could not have read all the topics on this subject.

My friend and i have used this rule and it works good. But it must be obvious that we want to enhance this houserule we made. I'm still working on calculating 1/3 and other fractions into this rule....

So i'll keep you posted

A happy newyear everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I changed the rules rather dramaticaly and this should work properly. Its quite a bit of text but most is part of the example to clarify things a bit.

Example
    A close combat has broken lose between an imperial (1) and chaos space marines (2) player. The squad of player 1 numbers 10 guardsmen that face a squad of 20 chaos space marines. After the assault phase 5 guardsmen and 20 chaos space marines remain and they stay in combat due to the insane heroism roll of the guardsmen. Then tau player (3) wants to shoot into the close combat between player 1 and 2. The tau player hits 15 of the 20 pulse rifle shotís fired. Now our rule is kicking in!!!

To divide the hitís player 1 and 2 roll 1d6 for each model in there squad. On a roll of 4+ a model takes a hit if outnumbered 1:1. But now the guardsmen are outnumbered 4:1 so de dice roll changes and becomes 6+ for the guardsmen and 2+ for the chaos space marines.

1:1= 4+/4+
    1:2= 5+/3+
    1:3= 6+/2+
    1:4= 6+/2+
    Etc.

The tau player scored 15 hits with pulse rifles. Now the imperial player rolls 5d6 for its 5 guardsmen and the chaos player 20d6 for its 20 chaos space marines. After the dice roll 1 hit is scored on the guardsmen and 8 hits on the chaos space marines. But there are still 6 hits to be divided. So a second dice roll must be taken to resolve the remaining hits. Now the imperials roll 5d6 and chaos rollís 20d6. The hits taken from the first roll are not subtracted from the dice pool, because models can take multiple hits.

The second dice roll scores 2 hits on the guardsmen and 10 on the chaos space marines. That a total of 12 but there are only 6 hitís remaining to be divided. So there are 6 excessive hits. For each excessive hit player 1 and 2 roll dice and the player with the lowest result removes a hit. The 4:1 rule is active and therefore the chaos space marines roll 4d6 instead of 1d6.

1:1 = Both players roll 1d6 for every excessive hit and the lowest removes a hit.
    1:2 = The player that outnumbers rolls 2d6 instead of 1d6 and the highest result stands.
    1:3 = The player that outnumbers rolls 3d6 instead of 1d6 and the highest result stands.
    1:4 = The player that outnumbers rolls 4d6 instead of 1d6 and the highest result stands.
    Etc.

After the six dice rolls the guardsmen remove 5 hits. So the final result is 0 hit on the guardsmen and 15 hits on the chaos space marines. Now to wound rolls can be made and the toughness of each squad can be taken into account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Kaaz, my man! So these are the rules you talked about. Damn, we should play a couple of games to test it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, much better. These seem to take everything into account, and work well in example.:w00t:
    In Hive We Trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx

@Hive Fleet Scorpii:
    Your feedback on 1/3 made me recalculate everything. So thats your credit

+ Reply to Thread