Codex: Iron Hands - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Codex: Iron Hands

After looking at the topic for the Iron Hands Commander/Dreadnought, I thought I would post my Codex ideas for the Iron Hands for people to playtest and provide feedback.

Here they are:

Edit: New version in post below.

Last edited by bannus; February 16th, 2007 at 00:14.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, hey - over 140 views and not a single response. Could this be a new record?
    That's OK, because as I continue to play with it I discover new glitches and correct them.

This is the latest version:

CODEX: IRON HANDS

A copy of Codex: Space Marines is necessary to field an Iron Hands Space Marine army. The following rules and Codex changes apply.

SPACE MARINE SPECIAL RULES:

ATSKNF - unchanged from the Codex.

Drop Pod Assault - Iron-Fathers and Techmarines (with or without Servitors) may also choose to deploy from drop pods as a transport option.

IRON HANDS SPECIAL RULES:

++Note that the traits in the Codex do not apply, but are replaced by the following rules.++

"The Unyielding Mind And The Unyielding Body"

Veteran Sergeants - Sergeants may be upgraded to Veteran status for +20 points. They are identical to Veteran Sergeants in the Codex except that bionics is also included in the point cost.

Augmetics - The Iron Hands venerate the strength of the machine over the weakness of the flesh. No Iron Hands unit may benefit from any Veteran Skill. However, these units have increasingly mechanized their bodies. Augmetics replace any Veteran Skills and give the unit a 6+ Invulnerable save.

Terminator Armor - these rare and precious suits are often given to distinguished warriors and rarely organized into squads. The Iron Hands believe that they provide more inspiration to the Space Marines around them.

Any Iron Hands model in Terminator armor benefits from the "Stubborn" Universal Special Rule as described in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

Any model in Terminator armor may choose to Deep Strike, even if the mission being played does not allow it. If the model is leading or attached to a squad other than a Terminator Command Squad, then the ability to Deep Strike is lost.

Squads joined or led by a model in Terminator armor have the following drawbacks:

• May not make a Sweeping Advance (but may Consolidate).

• May not Infiltrate or Move Through Cover.

Transport options: Squads that include any models in Terminator armor may only use transports that are capable of deploying Terminators (Drop pods and Land Raider). Models in Terminator armor take up two spaces in any transport.

Note that a Warleader or Librarian in Terminator armor may elect to lead or join a Command Squad instead of a Terminator Command Squad.

If a Venerable Dreadnought is selected, he automatically becomes the army commander. He has the "Rites of Battle" skill as described for Commanders in the Space Marine Codex and he is treated as having Ld10 for this purpose.

The Iron Hands are a particularly insular Chapter. They may not take any allies.

IRON HANDS ARMORY:

Servo-skull (6 points each) - Up to four servo-skulls may be taken as wargear by any character with access to the armory.

If taken by an Independent Character they form a unit with that character but do not prevent that character from joining, leading or attaching to a unit as normal.

If selected by a model that is not an independent character they will form part of the unit that the character belongs to.

They are removed if the character is killed. Servo-skulls will move and assault with the same movement as the character.

They do not have to take Difficult Terrain tests.

They may board the same transport as the character and take up a single space regardless of the number of servo-skulls.

Servo-skull - Pts/model: 6 WS:3 BS S:3 T:3 W:1 I: 3 A: 1 Ld:8 Sv:6+

Servo-skulls are treated as if they are armed with a single close combat weapon.

Targeter (1 point) – Models equipped with a targeter are allowed to pre-measure the range to a target before they decide who to shoot in the Shooting phase. After you have used a targeter then any guess range weapons may not be fired that turn.

Terminator Armor (25/15 points) - Single wound models with access to the armory may choose this upgrade. However, if they do so, they lose any of their original equipment if it is not compatible with Terminator armor (these items are marked with a “T” in the armory section). This includes weapons such as bolters and bolt pistols and wargear including jump packs, bikes, reductors, etc. These items may be replaced with weapons and wargear from the charts that is compatible with Terminator armor at the normal points cost.

The original wargear for multi-wound models is considered compatible with Terminator armor and is not affected. Note that an Iron-Father or Techmarine in Terminator armor may not upgrade to a servo-harness.

VEHICLE UPGRADES:

Servitor Crew (10 points): Any vehicle with this upgrade may repair an immobilized result on a 6+. Rhinos already have this upgrade included in their point cost.

Power of the Machine Spirit (30/15 points): This upgrade is available to vehicles valued at 120 points or less (including weapons but before any vehicle upgrades) for 15 points.

HQ:

Warleader – Bionics are included in the Warleaders’ points cost.

Iron-Commander - Pts: 75 Profile: Identical to Master except Ld 9.
    Clan-Commander - Pts: 65 Profile: Identical to Captain.

Librarian – Bionics are included in the Librarians’ points cost. (+5 points/model).

A Warleader or Librarian may select a Command Squad or Terminator Command Squad if equipped with Terminator armor. Models not in Terminator armor may only choose a Command Squad.

Command Squad - Command Squads do not have access to Veteran Skills. However, they may have augmetics for +3 points per model. A squad with augmetics has a 6+ invulnerable save.

0-1 Terminator Command Squad – The Terminator Command Squad does not have access to Veteran Skills. However, the squad may have augmetics for +3 points per model. A Terminator Command Squad with augmetics is treated as if they have bionics (See Codex Space Marines for details).

0-1 Venerable Dreadnought – The Iron Hands Venerable Dreadnought benefits from the Venerable rule (see the Dreadnought entry for details).

Pts/Model: 125 WS: 5 BS: 5 I: 4 A: 3 (other stats identical to Dreadnought)

• “Old and Wise” - If a Venerable Dreadnought is selected then he must be the army commander. He has the "Rites of Battle" skill as described for Commanders in the Codex and he is treated as having Ld10 for this purpose.
    • The missile launcher upgrade is not available to Iron Hands Dreadnoughts.
    • A Venerable Dreadnought may be given a Company Standard for +25 points. This may be further upgraded to a Sacred Standard for an additional 20 points.

Iron-Father – Iron-Fathers have many of the same abilities and options as Techmarines.

Master of the Forge Pts: 115 Profile: Identical to Master of Sanctity.
    Clan Artificer Pts: 105 Profile: Identical to Reclusiarch except Ld 10.
    Tech-Servitor Pts: 10 WS: 3 BS: 3 S: 3 T: 4 W: 1 I: 3 A: 1 Ld: 8 Sv: 4+

Wargear – An Iron-Father is equipped with a targeter, power weapon, servo-arm, signum, auspex, Mechanicus Protectiva (provides a 4+ invulnerable save) and bionics.

Options - An Iron-Father may upgrade his servo-arm to a servo-harness (see Techmarine entry for details).

Tech -Servitors – The Iron-Father may not take a Command Squad, but may have a retinue of up to eight Tech-Servitors. An Iron-Father gains a +1 to any repair rolls he has to make for each Tech-Servitor in his retinue. A roll of 1 always fails regardless of how many Tech-Servitors are in the retinue.

Las-torch- A Tech-servitor may be fitted with a las-torch for +1 point/model. Although they provide no additional benefit to repair rolls, they can be used as a ranged weapon if necessary.

Las-torch - Range: 12” Str: 3 AP: - Type: Pistol

Servitor Upgrades:

The Iron Hands have access to a variety of different Servitors - even Servitors that are not normally seen outside of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Any Tech-Servitor may be given one of the following upgrades for the specified point cost. Note that any upgraded Servitors serve in a new role and may no longer provide the +1 bonus to repair rolls.

The upgrades are:

Combat-Servitor (+15 points/model) – A Combat-Servitor is armed with a power-fist and close combat weapon. His programming has been altered to give him a +1WS.

Gun-Servitor (points vary/model) – up to four Servitors may be upgraded to Gun-Servitors and have new programming to give them a +1BS. They may be armed with a heavy bolter for +15 points or multi-melta for +20 points. One Gun-Servitor may be equipped with a plasma-cannon for +35 points. No more than one plasma-cannon may be taken per Iron-Father.

Servitors armed with heavy bolters may also be fitted with suspensors at no extra cost. Suspensors allow the weapon to be fired on the move, but at a greatly reduced range. Heavy bolters with suspensors use the following profile:

Heavy Bolter with suspensors - Range: 18" Str: 5 AP: 4 Type: Assault 3

Note that all heavy bolters in a Servitor retinue must be fitted with suspensors or none at all.

Comm-servitor (+5 points/model): A Comm-servitor has been given very sophisticated communications equipment that is actually tied into the remaining brain functions for very fast and accurate communications. One reserve-roll may be re-rolled for each Comm-servitor in the army. Note that only one re-roll per unit is allowed.

Med-servitor (+5 points/model): Med-servitors are equipped with special medical augmetics. If accompanied by a Med-Servitor, an Iron-Father may ignore the first wound he takes each turn so long as it was not caused by a shooting attack that causes Instant Death or a close combat attack that allows no Armor save. If an Iron-Father has two or more Med-Servitors, then he may ignore the first wound he takes each turn regardless of whether it causes Instant Death or was from a close combat weapon that allows no Armor save.

ELITES:

No Terminator Squads

No Terminator Assault Squads.

Veteran Squad
    - May not select any Veteran Skills. All Marines have augmetics which gives the squad a 6+ invulnerable save instead.

No Dreadnoughts

Techmarine – A Techmarine is equipped with a targeter, power weapon, servo-arm, signum and auspex. A Techmarine may select a Refractor field (5+ invulnerable save) for +15 points. An Iron Hands Techmarine may select Servitors in the same manner as the Iron-Father (see Iron-Father entry for details) but his retinue may not have more than four Servitors and may not include Comm-Servitors or Med-Servitors

Techmarine - Pts/model: 70 Profile: Identical to Techmarine
    Tech-Servitor - Pts/model: 10 Profile: See Iron-Father above.

TROOPS:

Unchanged from Codex: Space Marines

FAST ATTACK:

Unchanged from Codex: Space Marines

HEAVY SUPPORT:

May not select Land Raider Crusader
    Last edited by bannus; February 16th, 2007 at 00:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you really that upset with the way Iron Hands are portrayed via the traits? to me, it seems you have sacrificed all the good things about marines to fit fluff better.

My only complaint on how the Iron Hands stand now is the lack of WS/I on the Techmarine. Other than that I have fielded Iron Hands for 2 years now with great success with the traits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It isn't that the traits assigned to them are good or bad - they just don't represent the Iron Hands well.

The traits encourage players to build armies with lots of Dreads, Terminator Squads and being led by a Chaplain.

The Iron Hands do not field any such units.

The Iron Hands rarely field a Terminator Squad - and if they did, it would not be more than one.

There are only eight Dreadnoughts in the entire Chapter - why are they able to field 75% of them in one FOC?

The Iron Hands do have Commanders - they are called Iron-Commanders and Clan-Commanders.

The Iron Hands do NOT have Chaplains.

In the older rules and the newer ones, giving Terminator armor to a Veteran Sergeant is a very expensive handicap - offering more disadvantages and almost no advantages. This was one of the biggest problems needing addressing.

Another factor that has never been represented is their close relationship to the Adeptus Mechanicus. I wanted something to in the rules to reflect this as well.

I'm sorry if this answer sounds short. But it is the fifth or sixth time I have tried to answer it over the past week or so - only to find the site "is too busy right now" and I'm am sick and tired of repeating myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bannus View Post
    It isn't that the traits assigned to them are good or bad - they just don't represent the Iron Hands well.

The traits encourage players to build armies with lots of Dreads, Terminator Squads and being led by a Chaplain.

The Iron Hands do not field any such units.

The Iron Hands rarely field a Terminator Squad - and if they did, it would not be more than one.

There are only eight Dreadnoughts in the entire Chapter - why are they able to field 75% of them in one FOC?

The Iron Hands do have Commanders - they are called Iron-Commanders and Clan-Commanders.

The Iron Hands do NOT have Chaplains.

In the older rules and the newer ones, giving Terminator armor to a Veteran Sergeant is a very expensive handicap - offering more disadvantages and almost no advantages. This was one of the biggest problems needing addressing.

Another factor that has never been represented is their close relationship to the Adeptus Mechanicus. I wanted something to in the rules to reflect this as well.

I'm sorry if this answer sounds short. But it is the fifth or sixth time I have tried to answer it over the past week or so - only to find the site "is too busy right now" and I'm am sick and tired of repeating myself.

qurestion about the Dread thing, its been awhile since i read the IA article, where is it written in GW fluff that they only have 8? i was under the assumption this was only mentioned in that god awful pile of crap that passes as a novel,

i stated in an earlier post that my only real complaint is how the Iron Father is fielded, im not happy with his sub HQ stats, but hes never dissappointed me in game.

as for Termies and chaplains, ive tried them and i deem them too expensive for what they do, to get maximum effect for them, conditions have to be perfect, and it rarely is.

i just never really understood the whole trying to change the IH that you and the other guys on b and c try to do, but then again, ive only played them for 2 years and have been happy with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Iron hands

I also agree, i'm not certain where your getting the number 8 for the number of Iron Hands dreadnaughts out there. I do think that there are plenty of ways for you to represent how you feel the Iron Hands should be represented with the new Space Marine Codex. Also remember you can always ask permission from opponents to use the Old Iron Hands rules if you want, nothing says you can't in 1 off games for fun.

I kinda like the idea of having a IH army that has lots of dreads back by marines if you make the traits how you want them you can develop your own army nicely
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hovoc View Post
    qurestion about the Dread thing, its been awhile since i read the IA article, where is it written in GW fluff that they only have 8? i was under the assumption this was only mentioned in that god awful pile of crap that passes as a novel
    Yeah - that was not the best written novel that the Black Library published, but it offers a lot of good ideas about how to build an Iron Hands army. I treated the novel as 'canon' when I wrote these rules.

@MouseC112 - there is nothing wrong with that type of army. It is cool and fun to play. But it is not the type of army the iron Hands are capable of fielding.

90% of the Iron Hands army lists I see are led by a Chaplain and have two or more Terminator Squad plus Dreadnoughts.

This is the type of army the traits encourage - and is about as fluffy as a White Scars army full of Dreadnoughts and Devistators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

IH Armies in NJ

Most of the IH armies i've seen (New Jersey.Pennsylvania) are based around a Techmarine of Chaplain leading the army, with tactical squads and 3-4 dreadnaughts. In addition, they take bionics where they can. The 2 people I know that play them do not take Terminators except Vet Sgts with Term Armor, they take more veteran squads
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MouseC112 View Post
    Most of the IH armies i've seen (New Jersey.Pennsylvania) are based around a Techmarine of Chaplain leading the army, with tactical squads and 3-4 dreadnaughts. In addition, they take bionics where they can. The 2 people I know that play them do not take Terminators except Vet Sgts with Term Armor, they take more veteran squads
    Those are probably among the older players - like myself - who try to build army lists within the confines of the traits that are fluffy.

Even so, 3-4 Dreadnoughts represents fully half the Chapters resources - would they really do this for such a small battle involving less than a company?

Still, one of the biggest problems is that the traits do not allow for Commanders and allow Chaplains.

So if you want to play your army as a trait army, you only have two accurate choices for HQs - the Techmarine and the Librarian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bannus View Post
    Those are probably among the older players - like myself - who try to build army lists within the confines of the traits that are fluffy.

Even so, 3-4 Dreadnoughts represents fully half the Chapters resources - would they really do this for such a small battle involving less than a company?

Still, one of the biggest problems is that the traits do not allow for Commanders and allow Chaplains.

So if you want to play your army as a trait army, you only have two accurate choices for HQs - the Techmarine and the Librarian.

According to fluff, it was only the Vetern company of the Hands that were wiped at Isstvan, and IIRC there in the 4th ed. codex under the section of how chapters are divided, theres quite a few listings for dreadnoughts in different companies (checked 3rd ed. codex, 4th ed. is in car)

Also since Iron Fathers carry the role of Tech and CHaplain, i still see no reason why you shouldnt field a chappy in an IH list, instead of preaching about the emperor he can preach about the Machine god.

I stopped fielding chaplains recently when i switched to my newest list and haven't been happier. I think the Techmarine is more than capable of holding his own in and out of combat. since i had never used termies before, i tried htem out for a month and felt they didnt do well and dropped them for a list that i felt was more true to the Iron Hand spirit.

i guess in the end, all you can do is educate people, personally, id love to see someone write up an Iron Hands Tactica, maybe you could head that one up bannus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast