4"K and other 40k movement rules - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

4"K and other 40k movement rules

I have seen a great deal of frustration over movement. When the game designers of 40K put everything into scale, they maintained the speed of a human, but not the range of his gun. Therefore, you lose the idea of futility as you sprint at 'fast than bullet' speeds towards your enemy into CC. This in turn messes with the shooting phase, which brings mor yield to the combat phase, which results in a less tactical game. These new ideas will hopefully put an end to boring chainsword 40k.

1) 6" is not a standard move. you have a 4" move now.

2) 6" is your ASSAULT move only
    this means that now, you will spend a full 2 turns within range of stationary rapid fire weapons, as opposed to them getting off one volley before you move 12" next turn and eat them.

3) you roll D3s for difficult terrain. (this is just because you can only normally move 4", and nobody sprints through difficult terrain, no matter how simple the going gets)

4) you still roll D6's for fallback and pursuit- admit it, your dudes are SCARED and HAULIN'!

Vehicle movement:

1) Tanks are now classified into Light tanks, and Heavy Tanks. How do you classify them?
    If a tank's total armor value (front+side+side+rear) is LESS than 45, it is a light tank. Everything else is heavy.

2) Light tanks add 6" to all movement related rules (they can fire all weapons at 12", or move 18") Note: fast vehicles are not affected

3) Heavy tanks remain the same as they are now

Cover: this isn't move related, it just helps with the shooting issues

1) you no longer have a cover save. models firing at troops in soft cover are at -1BS, into hard cover; -2
    this represents the fact that a bullet that pierces a gaurdsman's flak vest, will also pierce the picket fence he's hiding behind. the trouble is, can you see the gaurdsman to target him accurately?

Finally:
    I know that some of you might say that this is too much like fantasy, or that the 6" standard move is for ease of use. Honestly, I prefer a game that is a little more thought provoking at the expense of time. If I wanted instant gratification without thought, I'd play the 40K ccg, or worse yet- "Firewarrior"

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

are
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds a lot like Rogue Trader and 2nd edition to me.

4+6 move and 12" rapid fire range does not mean you get into HtH after two turns at rapid fire range. It means you never get there. Because the ones you advance after can always move back so you are at 11-12" and rapid fire you, they will never be so nice to let you stay at 10" or less - why should they?

Fact is, rapid fire range at 12" = move 6" + charge 6" was chosen for some mysterious "game balance", not for "realism".

Edit: I would like to add that the rest of your ideas make a lot of sense. Pre-3rd edition Warhammer 40000 was in several ways a more realistic game, but lacked in several others, like playability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Intersting.. i've included many similar aspects with regards to the rule changes I'm working on.

Remember to include shots which require over 6 to hit! This becomes relevant once you have minus to hit modifiers.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Hmmm, I reckon you could run into some trouble with this. I understand exactly what you are getting at though. I just think it could be a bit frustrating for the offensive player that is not just sitting there and shooting.

Are you going to halve the points cost on some models like Gaunts and Guardsmen??? Because they are just going to be shot to pieces.

In the end I quite like the fact that close combat plays a big part in 40K as its not meant to be realistic but moreso fun I suppose. But each to their own.
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Fantasy movement

Hence the reason i think a lot of players think fantasy is a little more on target as different types of races have different movement distances that way its not standardized around humans. In 40K a ogryn can only move as fast as a regular guardsman... right that's realistic and a horse moves as fast as a human until it charges.. because horse can't gallop or anything right?
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

are
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MouseC112 View Post
    ..and a horse moves as fast as a human until it charges.. because horse can't gallop or anything right?
    Fleet of Hoof comes to mind - IG codex Rough Riders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I like some of the rules, but theres two that i really dislike.

1) 6" is not a standard move. you have a 4" move now.

2) 6" is your ASSAULT move only
    this means that now, you will spend a full 2 turns within range of stationary rapid fire weapons, as opposed to them getting off one volley before you move 12" next turn and eat them.
    Why do i dislike them? It will be the Death of Assault armies like Tyranids and Orks. its already hard enough for many Assault armies, this will just fill the grave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I like the way the movment is now, making it so you only get 4" really helps make armies like sister and space marines better while hurting the cc armies even more. Sure I see your problem that you can move 1/4 of your range (commanly) but game play never equals fluff. Wych cults and orks, some chaos armies, kroot, tyranids, and Dark eldar would really suffer from only gettting 4" movement, while space marines, tau, sister of battle, necrons, and IG would get a lot better.Maybe use the cut off for combat patrol like 33 that would be easier to do because most armour points are just side front rear not both sides.
    Last edited by necronoob; March 23rd, 2007 at 23:21.
    Prey they don't take you alive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Reintroducing an M stat...

Hi all.
    Lets see what is simpler.
    Everthing moves the distance in inches under its M stat.(3'',4'',5'',6'',8'',12'' etc.)

OR
    Evething moves 6'', apart from the things that dont!
    We now have 3 special rules ,to add random movment,lots of unnecissary dice rolling that just slows the game down.

Race /unit specific movment is a crucial part of defining a units ability on the tabletop.And also helps transfer the fluff to the game play..

So Mega armoured Orks lumber forward a 3'',termagaunts skitter forward at 6'', horses gallop at 8'',etc.

If the games devs wanted to seperate 40k from WH ,why did they opt to take out lots of things that actualy help gameplay,(M stat, to hit mods,etc,)and leave in the inapropriate game turn?

Oh well ,I prefer Mr Chambers work out side the restrictions of GW.

TTFN
    Lanrak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Oh my godz! Not three whole special rules! My brains will explode!

Seriously, what the hell.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast