Officio Assassinorum Operative: Venenum - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Officio Assassinorum Operative: Venenum

After reading these two bits of fluff (provided by Athamas from Warseer) I decided to come up with some rules one of the forgotten Officio Assassinorum operatives: the Venenum. Here are the two bits of fluff:

"The Venenum Temple of the Officio Assassinorum emphasizes the use of poisons and non-technical weapons to kill their foes. They use poisoned swords, daggers, and projectiles fired from weapons using highly-compressed air to be silent. They are masters of disguise and stealth, and they are masters at hand to hand combat. They are especially chosen for agility and their ability to stay totally silent when needed but also to have the ability to mimic the mannerisms and characteristics of others.
    The Venenum temple stresses subtlety and cunning. The silent kill is always the best kill. The unknown Assassin is always the most effective Assassin. They shun weapons that cause noise or that leave easily traced evidence. They strike from the unknown and they disappear again into the unknown.
    All the Assassins of the Venenum temple are trained in the use of Polymorphine, and only the Callidus approach their mastery of this drug. The Venenum Assassin may masquerade as any humanoid they choose, from a beautiful woman to a crippled old man, to aliens such as Orks and Eldar. They are the masters of disguise and mimicry. In addition to Polymorphine, they use a range of implants created by the Medicus Adeptus of the Imperium to change their size, shape and physical appearance. They also have implants that will allow them to mimic the sound and speech patterns of those they are replacing. It is only when they are injected with Polymorphine that these implants react to stimulants within the drug and transform the Assassin to mimic the encoded shapes needed to take the place of those they choose to replace.
    The Venenum Assassin will be landed behind enemy lines to take the place of a trusted underling of their intended target, and then they will only reveal themselves when they attack their target at the crucial moment of battle."

"Many Assassins favour poison to dispatch a foe, and there are many poisons available to a would-be assassin. However, they are pale in comparison with the sheer destructive force of the Venenum, master of poison and biological warfare.

Armed with complex bioweapons, containing the most deadly poisons the Imperium can create, Venenum Assassins are walking death. They can kill with a touch, their bodies filled with toxins that only they are immune to, and more than one victim has died to the kiss of a beautiful stranger...

On the battlefield, the Venenum make use of their less subtle equipment. Virus Bombs spread viral death through the enemy, while the Venenum's deadly Venom Blade drips with nano-virals capable of corroding bulkheads, and Needlers that spit ranged death, turning mighty warriors into bloated, rotting"

Now, onto the rules!

HTML Code:
    Venenum: Pts    WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  LD  Sv
             130   5    5   4  4   2  5  3  10  4+
    Wargear:

Throwing knives: In the shooting phase, the Venenum can throw a knife, with a range of 6in. Roll to hit as normal. The knives wound on a 4+. If a knife is thrown, the Venenum can still charge into combat.
    Viral bomb: In the shooting phase, the Venenum can throw a Viral bomb up to 6in. Roll to hit as normal. If the bomb hits, place the small blast marker on the target. Anyone touched fully by the bomb (their base is fully covered) is wounded on a 2+ and receives no saves of any kind. Then, place the large blast marker over the small one. Anyone touched by the larger template will suffer -1 to their WS, BS S, T and I on a 4+. One use only.
    Blowgun:Range: 12in S: X AP:5 Assault 2. The blowgun wounds on a 4+.
    Poison blade: Used in close combat only. The poison blade wounds on a 4+.

Special rules:

A Venenum has all the special rules of normal Officio Assassinorum operatives, but with the following additions:

"Don't be seen or heard...": Members of the Venenum temple are the stealthiest members of the Officio Assassinorum. They are able to sneak up to within touching distance of their foe, and often replace a member of his retinue or an aide. They will only reveal themselves if they feel the time is right. At the start of the battle, pick 1 model from the opposing side. That model is replaced by the Venenum. Roll for reserves. When she arrives, the chosen model will be killed automatically, and she will replace it. She should then be placed 6 in away from the position of the killed model. You cannot pick any model that may chose equipment from the armoury, or any thing with an armour value.
    "Master of Poisons": All members of the Venenum temple study every know (and some yet unknown) poison, and know how and when to use them. A poison attack is thwe signature mark of a Venenum kill, and they will go to great lengths to ensure thier targets death. they will poison everything from their victim's food, water, right up to their clothes and favourite book!" Before the beginning of the battle, pick 1 enemy unit. Roll a D6 for each model in the unit. On a D6 roll of 5+, the model takes a wound with no saves of any kind.
    "Resistance":The study of all the poisons means that Venenum temple members know the antidote to every poison imaginable, and they pity those who have not got this knowledge. All members of the Venenum are immune to all poisons, so poisoned attacks count as just normal attacks.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by God octo; May 21st, 2007 at 21:55.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

S-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by God octo View Post

HTML Code:
    These stats are good, keep them as they are.

Throwing knives: In the shooting phase, the Venenum can throw a knife, with a range of 6in. Roll to hit as normal. The knives wound on a 4+. If a knife is thrown, the Venenum can still charge into combat.
    These too are fine.
    Viral bomb: In the shooting phase, the Venenum can throw a Viral bomb up to 6in. Roll to hit as normal. If the bomb hits, place the small blast marker on the target. Anyone touched fully by the bomb (their base is fully covered) is wounded on a 2+ and receives no saves of any kind. Then, place the large blast marker over the small one. Anyone touched by the larger template will suffer -1 to their WS, BS S, T and I on a 4+. One use only.
    Alright. This is slightly ridiculous. 2+ with no armour saves? Why no armour saves? If it is a virus, I don't see why a locked tight suit of power armour can't stop it. Isn't that what the Helmet and re-breather is for? Rhetorical questions aside, give them back their armour save. There is no to little justification to that (unless provided).
    As for the 2+ it is a little extreme. Perhaps raise it just a little. like a 3+. I do understand it is a virus, but very little things wound on an automatic 2+.
    Also, the large template needs to be removed, it is doing to things at once. Either A, use the effect to another item, or B, get rid of it. It is kind of powerful, and would be hard to keep track of. (and no chance of saves or anything?).
    Blowgun:Range: 12in S: X AP:5 Assault 2. The blowgun wounds on a 4+.
    Fine. But a little too close to the knifes. Why would anyone use the knifes if this has AP?

Good

Wargear in general. You should only have one close range and one long range. What you have right now is too convoluted.

Note: I don't have the time to critique on the Abilities, will get back to you on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I changed some of the rules a little, so what do you think now?

HTML Code:
    Wargear:

Profile: Range: 6in S: X AP: - Assault 1
    Viral bomb: In the shooting phase, the Venenum can throw a Viral bomb up to 6in. Roll to hit as normal. If the bomb hits, place the small blast marker on the target. Anyone hit by the template is wounded on a 4+. If you fail to wound, you may reroll the dice. If wounded, the model receives 1 wound and may take their armour save. Once all wounds have be dealt with, the unit must make a pinning check at -1 to their leadership. One use only.
    Blowgun:Range: 18in S: X AP:5 Heavy 1. The blowgun wounds on a 4+.

Special rules:

A Venenum has all the special rules of normal Officio Assassinorum operatives, but with the following additions:

"Don't be seen or heard...": Members of the Venenum temple are the stealthiest members of the Officio Assassinorum. They are able to sneak up to within touching distance of their foe, and often replace a member of his retinue or an aide. They will only reveal themselves if they feel the time is right. At the beginning of the battle, chose one enemy unit. Note down which enemy unit the Venenum is trailing. Roll for reserves. When she arrives, the Venenum will reveal herself. She should then be placed 6 in away from the position of the chosen unit. She may act normally on the turn she appears, so she may shoot, charge etc. You cannot pick any unit that is an independent character, or any thing with an armour value.
    "Master of Poisons": All members of the Venenum temple study every know (and some yet unknown) poison, and know how and when to use them. A poison attack is the signature mark of a Venenum kill, and they will go to great lengths to ensure their targets death. they will poison everything from their victim's food and water, right up to their clothes and favourite book." Before the beginning of the battle, pick 1 enemy unit. Roll a D6 for each model in the unit. On a D6 roll of 6+, the model takes a wound. Armour saves may not be taken, though invulnerable save may be taken.
    "Resistance":The study of all the poisons means that Venenum temple members know the antidote to every poison imaginable, and they pity those who have not got this knowledge. All members of the Venenum are immune to all poisons, so poisoned attacks count as just normal attacks.

I'm still not sure of the points cost, as she can be pretty disruptive, but she isn't really an amazing killer on the battle field. Has anyone got any suggestions? Also, I thought up this special rule:

"Kiss of death": If the Venenum gets into combat with an independent character, they may forfeit all of their attacks to make 1 special attack. This attack hits on a 6+. If the attack successfully hits, the target model is instantly killed.
    Last edited by God octo; May 23rd, 2007 at 21:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Why not remove the throwing knife and make the blowgun 18" Strenght X Assault 2?

She shouldn't kill an enemy unit(it currently allows you to remove a special weapon too.
    For example if she replaced a DA Terminator with Assault Cannon, that would cost the enemy approx 80 points! So either make it so that she just appears with coherency of that squad or something.

Kiss of Death is a good rule.

I'd say she is worth about 130 points like you suggested yourself
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just changed it so that she, as you suggested, appears next to the unit, and doesn't kill anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you want inv saves for the kiss of death? Surely, whatever she could possibly have, it cudnt always penetrate a forcefield or such?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say have Kiss of Death be on the very first turn, after infiltrating her next or near to the HQ. By that point she should be considered an ally by the other team, and should be capable of getting that close.

Perhaps, if the Venenum is much more effective than the Callidus Assassin is at disguise, there could be a special rule where, until the Assassin uses the Kiss of Death or fires a weapon on any enemy units, the other player cannot attack her as if she were one of his own units? Using the Kiss or attacking any of that army's units will reveal her as an enemy combatant and the enemy may attack her normally. The Kiss should only be used before she's discovered to be an enemy.

The Kiss counts as an S10 attack on a single, chosen target that hits on a 4+, ignores Armour saves (since she's embracing and kissing the target) but invulnerable saves function as a hand of god, so to speak. This way it's guaranteed to leave a mark, but still gives the opponent a chance of surviving the assassination attempt. Saying that she can only use it while still in disguise also limits it to a single attack per game.

What do you all think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

I agree with what you have said Uriel. It would be similar to the grenade pack of the swooping hawks but only works on the single model.

I think that without the kiss the model would be too situational. Kind of like the chaos plague beares, not good for much but killing all of those multi wound models that you never see.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

+ Reply to Thread