A Replacement Grey Knights Special Character I've been Working on... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Replacement Grey Knights Special Character I've been Working on...

This special character was created in response to players of Daemonhunter armies who consider the official characters worthless and pointless. I’ve tried to make the character as viable as possible while giving him abilities that a GK HQ needs to succeed in all roles. Any ‘constructive’ criticism is welcome.

Grand Master Orland [1]

Amongst all of the heroes revered within the secret temple of the Grey Knights on Titan, few are as sombrely remembered or highly respected as Grand Master Orland.
    His innate psionic aptitude alone set him apart from his contemporaries during the initial trials and first battles and even gained him notice amongst higher officials. Such displays of power would normally become investigated by the Ordo Hereticus but the young Orland showed immense restraint and control over his abilities and never once harmed a fellow brother or showed sign of the being overpowered by the energies flowing throughout him. Instead, any excesses were focused purely in his faith in the Emperor, in the aid of his brothers and in the soul of his at his own blade.
    It is in his blade he found his status cemented among the Ordo Malleus and his dæmonic foes found an adversary that was completely relentless and unsurpassable. Each of the ruinous powers took in great gratification crafting the next dæmonic monstrosity they saw as a means to his demise only to reel in anguish and anger as it was cast back into their realms by the wraithlike warrior. It wasn’t until after the Battle on Nemesis Tessera that their cruel hearts consolidated a plan to rid themselves of the incorruptible knight once and for all.
    The newly appointed Grand Master had been assigned to assist the Inquisition headed by Inquisitor Cyarro in taking back the Inquisitorial Fortress from renegade Inquisitor Van Hel who had been corrupted by the Chaos Gods. Orland methodically dealt with the dæmonic incursion inside the gates, his precise hand dealing the killing blow to a host of Greater Dæmons Van Hel had summoned to guard the sanctum entrance. By the time it was over Van Hel had been immolated by Cyarro. The warp storm that had hailed the arrival of the Legions of Chaos on Nemesis Tessera had been deterred and along with the arrival of Space Marine Legions, triumph seemed insight.
    Victory was short lived though as news spread of system-wide invasions from Cadia to Caliban. The Eye of Terror had opened up spewing all its foul remnants on the Galaxy. Orland was immediately dispatched to Eidolon system which had emerged from the storm and remained a key base for the traitor legions to launch there attacks on the neighbouring systems and was qualified a hive of dæmon activity. It was here that the Gods laid their trap, ensnaring warp storms around the system so fierce that it destroyed Orland’s only means of transport back to Nemesis Tessera. Any transmissions became lost in the Mælstrom surrounding the planet which brought about the attention of many denizens of the warp including those that had been banished there by Orland himself. Despite his hardest efforts to keep his brethren alive, final reports were of his lone singular figure amongst an all-surrounding tide of dæmonic movement stretching the vast plateau. His Force Weapon had been raised high like an antenna, lighting a way towards his home in Sol before being brought down on the first wave of foul creatures. [2]

A Dæmonhunters army of 1,500 points or more may be joined by Grand Master Orland as a special character. If you take him then he must count as one of your HQ choices for the army and must be used as described below. He does not count towards the 0-1 HQ Choice and an additional HQ choice may be taken. He may not be given any additional equipment.
    Pts
    WS
    BS
    S
    T
    W
    I
    A
    Ld
    Save
    Orland [3]
    *Special

Wargear: The Lightbringer, Psycannon [4], Tessera Force-Protector.

Psychic Powers: Grand Master Orland is a trained psyker of immense power and is well taught in all the dæmonhunter mystic arts. The player may choose up to any two dæmonhunter psychic powers to use in the game at no additional points cost. However, he may only use one of these per turn. In addition, during the first psychic test that Orland fails the player may choose to re-roll the test. The results of this or any subsequent tests cannot be re-rolled.[5]

SPECIAL RULES
    Grey Knight: Grand Master Orland is first and foremost a Grey Knight and is therefore subject to the same rules except where otherwise mentioned.

Independent Character: Unless accompanied by a bodyguard, Grand Master Orland is an independent character and follows all the rules for characters in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook. If his bodyguard are destroyed, Orland becomes an independent character again and is free to join other units.

Orland’s Bodyguard: Orland may be accompanied by his own retinue of 2-9 Grey Knight Terminators. They count as part of the same HQ choice as Orland. As part of his special retinue, each member may upgrade their stormbolters with Psycannon shots at (same price as normal) per model, or may exchange their stormbolter altogether for a Psycannon at (same price as normal) per model.[6]

Slayer of Dæmons: Orland is a master-slayer of dæmons and is both immensely hated and feared by all denizens of the warp. All dæmons charging Orland gain the Furious Charge ability but can only hit Orland on a roll of 6. They must also immediately take an instability test before charging, with an additional -1 modifier to their leadership. Greater Dæmons and Dæmon Princes also take a leadership test before charging with an additional -1 modifier and automatically lose one wound for every point they fail their test by. Saves can be taken for each wound inflicted.[7]

The Divine Shrouding:
    Grand Master Orland was often referred to as the ‘Warrior-Wraith’ due to the impenetrable haze that surrounded him during battle. Many enemies have fired or charged into the haze without being able to hit anything before being struck down themselves.
    This ability works in exactly the same way the Shrouding rule works with the exception that Orland and any attached unit roll 4D6 and double it giving a result between 8” and 48”. As a rule, Orland and his unit can never be targeted by any unit beyond 48”. Guess Range Weapons and Ordinance add 1 to their each of their dice rolls when rolling scatter dice.
    In addition the shroud makes it extremely hard for attacking units to make sense of what’s in front of them. Any units assaulting Orland and his retinue halve their initiative values when assaulting, rounding down to the nearest, whole value.[8]

The Lightbringer:
    Orland’s Nemesis Force Weapon had been redesigned by the Adeptus Mechanicus of Mars themselves to allow the colossal psychic excess Orland exuded to bare full potency within the weapon. Under his control it resonated a glow that would light up the deepest hells tainted by the ruinous powers.
    This iconic weapon counts as a master-crafted Nemesis Force Weapon (as being wielded by a Grand Master) that also ignores invulnerable saves.[9]

Tessera Force-Protector:
    The Adeptus on Nemesis Tessera based this unique suit of armour around a mysterious relic that protected psykers from any attacks that could harm them. The research was beneficial to the forces in this region as being positioned so close to the Eye of Terror gave birth to a high rate of gifted psykers. The secret Inquisitorial fortress on Nemesis Tessera has held on to this armour for many millennia and it is only gifted to the most honourable warriors with extremely high psychic potential and control who have defended the fortress and the Imperium in the face of their most threatening danger.
    This sacred relic offers it’s wearer a unique save that requires the owner’s own mental strength to protect him. Any attacks that wound Orland require that he takes an unmodified leadership test rather than a traditional save. If the test is passed then the armour saves the wearer, if the test fails then he is wounded as normal. Other than this, the armour is similar to Terminator Armour, offering Orland the ability to move and fire with heavy weapons. He may only consolidate after winning an assault and is not able to make a sweeping advance. He can be teleported using the deep strike rules if permitted and gains an additional attack, already included in the profile above.[10]

[1] Like many characters from marine chapters, the name has significance (think Abaddon, Dante, Mephiston etc) Orland was a shortening of Orlando and is an anagram of Roland. The Former Italian the later French taken from the same lead hero of Charlemagne from the ‘La Chanson de Roland.’ Basically the first and most legendary tale of Paladins or Holy Knights (Grey Knights seem to have similar roles, non?) ;-)
    PS – I didn’t choose Orlando because of reasons you can guess and Roland seemed too simple and ordinary. Other ideas considered were Rolando (sounds like another Brazilian footballer) and Orlandu (FF Homage taken from the same source idea)

[2] Okay, so this is taken directly from the Eye of Terror Campaign. What? I wanted to give him a big background. Sorry if the whole article seems cheesy hero worship but, you know, that’s the style GW writes in when doing there Codex bit pieces. I know it's pretty similar to St. Celestine's story too and that's where I expect some criticism for unoriginatlity.

[3] Firstly, the WS is what all GM’s should have by default IMO anyway. It fits in with the rules that Human-like HQ commanders add 1+ to WS from their base troop types. A wound was added as like it is with most SM Special Characters and I’ve debated giving him an Initiative of 6 too but with his shoruding ability (see below) you don't really need it. The only thing that I’ve been really unsure about is the cost. It should be closer to 250 but then no-one would use him which is half the point.

[4] Some of ya may moan bif you hate Psycannons, but it makes sense to equip him with one since it adds in with character ethos (prominent psyker).

[5] Yet again, he’s a prominent psyker, easily on par with Chapter Librarians skill but better (Grey Knights are all psykers so you have to be pretty standout to be noticed amongst them all) and he needs the rules to back the fluff. At first the idea was to give him a lot more (two-powers a turn, any power in-game he likes) but that would be overkill already.

[6] They’re all cream of the crop, it sticks. Besides it’s not like you’ll be able to afford it but it’s nice to have the options available.

[7] This is the rule most likely to get changed. With so much good stuff on the character, he needed to have a flaw. Still, with all the rubbish going against them it’s highly doubtful that a daemon will get to use that extra ability effectively unless Orland’s unit is swarmed.

[8] This ability is the initial inspiration to make this character and what helps him overcome hazards that other Grey Knights and CC Characters fail to. Not only will you have a prominent psyker character but you’ll have a CC unit able to take on nearly anything on equal grounds CC-wise without being too complicated.

[9] Yet again, the name is another homage. Wanna guess? It’s easy. The rules were a simple idea that I believe should be allowed to all GM’s and maybe even BC’s. (Most) daemons don’t take armour saves so go figure with the null-invulnerability save, an easy choice. The original idea was to make the weapon a hammer that the player could have options for. He could strike one-handed with all the rules above or he could strike two-handed which doubles his strength instead of adding the NFW strength modifier. It would halves attacks though as a rule to equal things out. It was deemed to make the character too complex rule-wise.

[10] This is just me trying to do something different. Well, okay the retired Eldar character Iyanna Arienal had similar armour and that’s where I took the idea from. It was completely required that he had some unique armour as to me the terminator armour of the GK is as iconic to them as the jetpacks are to Seraphim. Because it defends against attacks that ‘wound’ it means it still defends against spells too that would wound but not ones that would protect him or enhance him. Pretty good huh or too good?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really liked it and thoought that it had some cool fluff, i myself am rubbish in writing any fluff of any sort and was wondering if you might be able to create appropriate rules and stats for a character of my own. Anyway here it goes, in the book Grey Kinghts, you kno how Justicar Alaric goes to titan to retrieve the relic force weapon that the ancient grand master used long ago to banish the Tzeentch Greater Daemon, well in the story it talked about how he went to a Grey Knight Chaplain in the tombs of the monastary for the blade, and so i was wondering what the rules/fluff for a GK Chaplain would be because they aren't actually in the game.
    A Moment of Laxity Spawns A Lifetime of Heresy. Never Forget, Never Forgive!

"Dont Judge Me Monkey"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

It's ridiculous. Simply because it's unkillable. The eldar character had a lower toughness (so more wounds get through), a lower leadership (so the save is easier to fail) and had half the wounds (so was half again as protected). You can't have an unmodified ld test save, it's better than a 2+ invulnerable. It'd also mean you get it against dread axes and warscythes and such which is wrong. The only other real 2+ invulnerable comes in the form of the shadowfield, the bearer has less wounds, less toughness and if he fails the save ONCE the save disappears. The save you have on this character is utterly ridiculous.

He could probably take out all the phoenix lords at the same time in this and they are ~200 points each, and each would be far better than him fluffwise, no matter how good he is. Basically, this is just another one of those "he's so uber that if he blinks at you, you explode" characters. Tone it down, and not a little, a lot. He has no reason to have 4 wounds either.

Then after all this stuff, he ignores invulnerable saves, rerolls psychic tests (even eldrad doesn't do that!) and has a buffed shrouding. His whole retinue can take psycannons? Wtf? Plus even more "I pwn the heck out of daemons" stuff like he didn't have enough already.

My archon special character which was designed with the specific purpose of being utterly ridiculous and cheesy and utterly stupidly overpowered wasn't this good. No joke. Start again, get rid of at least half of those abilities and then even then the remaining ones will need to be toned down. Either that, or make him 750 points.
    Last edited by Tenozuma; June 23rd, 2007 at 13:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

I'm with Teno. For 250 points... Celestine is 49 points les and she's significantly worse. Nice to see you having a go, but perhaps not such a superman.
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmm, myself an Teno discused this is the chat room. 6 unique abilities is a little far for a special character.

Also, compare him to other special characters and you'll see he is so much more powerful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Over not bad. I do agree that he might be over the top. Thisis how I would change him up.

Pts WS BS S T W I A Ld Save
    230 6 5 4 4 3 5 4 10 2+

Slayer of Dæmons: Orland is a master-slayer of dæmons and is both immensely hated and feared by all denizens of the warp. All dæmons charging Orland gain the Furious Charge ability but can only hit Orland on a roll of 6. They must also immediately take an instability test before charging, with an additional -1 modifier to their leadership. Greater Dæmons and Dæmon Princes also take a leadership test before charging with an additional -1 modifier and automatically lose one wound for every point they fail their test by. Saves can be taken for each wound inflicted.[7]
    All daemons must make a difficult terrain test. Why not make them make a difficult terrain test with a -2 to the roll. This still makes him a bastion of purity.

The Lightbringer:
    Orland’s Nemesis Force Weapon had been redesigned by the Adeptus Mechanicus of Mars themselves to allow the colossal psychic excess Orland exuded to bare full potency within the weapon. Under his control it resonated a glow that would light up the deepest hells tainted by the ruinous powers.
    This iconic weapon counts as a master-crafted Nemesis Force Weapon (as being wielded by a Grand Master) that also ignores invulnerable saves.[9]
    Why not instead have The Lightbringer: be able to reroll one to hit and one to wound roll.

Tessera Force-Protector:
    The Adeptus on Nemesis Tessera based this unique suit of armour around a mysterious relic that protected psykers from any attacks that could harm them. The research was beneficial to the forces in this region as being positioned so close to the Eye of Terror gave birth to a high rate of gifted psykers. The secret Inquisitorial fortress on Nemesis Tessera has held on to this armour for many millennia and it is only gifted to the most honourable warriors with extremely high psychic potential and control who have defended the fortress and the Imperium in the face of their most threatening danger.
    This sacred relic offers it’s wearer a unique save that requires the owner’s own mental strength to protect him. Any attacks that wound Orland require that he takes an unmodified leadership test rather than a traditional save. If the test is passed then the armour saves the wearer, if the test fails then he is wounded as normal. Other than this, the armour is similar to Terminator Armour, offering Orland the ability to move and fire with heavy weapons. He may only consolidate after winning an assault and is not able to make a sweeping advance. He can be teleported using the deep strike rules if permitted and gains an additional attack, already included in the profile above.[10]
    You already have stated that he is a Grey Knight. This means he has a Aegis ability in his armour. Why not give him a +2 when rolling against psychic test. This would mean he would roll between a 3 and a 8. This would allow him to pass his tests most of the times.

More to come I have company.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks for the replies. I wasn't expecting any (I posted this ages ago and it didn't get replies for ages) which is why mine is so late. I haven't got much time now to reply so if this seems incomplete then expect more later.
    Mainly all I have to say is that I've been trying to accommodate those who felt our SC's have been lacking good power, particularly in CQC so please keep in mind that yes, he's meant to be powerful. He is a response to all those DH players who look at our Special Characters now and have said how weak they are, that normal HQ's are much stronger. On the grounds that a Special Character is a high-powered HQ, that's what I've tried to go for. Obviously Superman isn't exactly what I was wanting but you know that's why I wanted suggestions on how to improve him.
    Also, many of the ideas have been based on ideas used before by GW, if exaggerated on a bit like the armour. So this character isn't the first to have had armour that can't be negated by normal means.

To AtlantianWarrior:
    I think the armour does make him too powerful in hindsight, but the weapon does not. I'm a big supporter of GK's needing to have Inv-negating weapons as it makes sense considering their main task. My latest idea was to actually post an idea for wargear options in the DH forum under the future codex proposals, one of which included 'Warp-aligned weapons’, which negated inv, saves at 10-15 pts.
    I do like your Slayer of Dæmons idea but it's all too similar to Coteaz's rule. To be honest this is the one ability, which was most likely to go anyway, but I think that stripping it down could also be a better alternative. Maybe take all Dæmons take a modified test - failing means he cannot be assaulted that turn by that unit.
    Look forward to other ideas about how I can better this idea.

To THeANgelofDArkness
    I've heard a lot about the story you've mentioned but have not read it yet. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the idea of Chaplain-GK's but I'd imagine that any combination of both the basic Chaplain and the basic GK would be pretty close

Last edited by Oiad; June 24th, 2007 at 01:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

needs some thinking through.. he's way too over powered. I'm not too familiar with grey knights special rules, but he made me cry for chaos players.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)