Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will The Old Ones Be Represented By An Army?

4K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Draegath 
#1 ·
How come the c'tan get represented and the old ones don't!!!!
is this fair?

#6 ·
i think GW dropped the idea of the Slann. im not sure, but they do seem to drop alot of fluff lately

#7 ·
Slann still exist in Warhammer Fantasy and they were still created by the Old Ones. In fact the first mention of the Old Ones and their creations came from 5th edition Lizardmen. But it was hinted that they had unleashed Chaos somehow. But remember two different universes. How does this works? Chaos string theory and Quantum physics baby, wooha!

#8 ·
The Old Ones were the antipothis of the C'tan...
I heard at the last games day from some one at the games developement table they were bringing out some thing to challange the c'tan in power...they mentioned the old ones.... i can only hope i guess...

GOD I HATE THE C'TAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 ·
THE NECRON CODEX SAYS THIS:

The old ones are extinct, they got whooped by the Necrons. Before they were all dead they managed to make some races to fight them, races whose whole purpose was to fight the necrons. Those races are the Orks and Eldar, amongst others, but humans are not included, we are young. But apparently not that young either, because it seems like the Necrons planted the Pharia genes in us before they went to hiding from the enslavers.(Like the way I say 'we' and 'us' when describing humanity? I think it makes it more exiting. As we all know, earth is in the 40k universe, we just have to wait for that warp storm to end ;) )

I think the Old Ones are extinct. By the way, are they suppose to look like Lovecraftian Old Ones?
Can you describe Lowecraftian Old Ones for me, or post me a link with a picture of one?

#11 ·
Well the Old Ones as an idea comes from the HP Lovecraft in his short story "At the Mountains of Madness." Lovecraft at his best. They were a hyper technological civilization that left their home planet and came to Earth 1000 million years ago, making impossible geometric cities in Antarctica. Their horrific ameba slave race rebelled against them and coupled with the menace of Cthulu, they went extinct. A good illustration of them was done in the art book "Barlow's Guide to Extra Terrestrials." But Ill describe them to the best of my knowledge. The body is a grey 10 meter zeppelin shape. At one end where it would stand on are thick tentacles with foot pads at the end that also act as hands I think. Mid way up the torso there are four insectoid wings. At the top of are five thick eye stalks in a pentagram shape.
This may not be entirely accurate but it is what the original Old Ones basically looked like.

#13 ·
There are also speculations that the tyranids are also a race created by the old ones. They might have been another pure warrior race, cannonfodder and the like. Or, more exiting, they might have been a kind of failsave, you now, if the old ones lost they'd unleash the tyranids to eat absolutely eveything.

#14 ·
The Tyranids are an increadibly new force in the galaxy not to mension that they are extra-galactic in origin, and the Old Ones died out millions of years ago so I doubt that this is the case. I do however think that the Necrons are somehow manipulating their progress though our galaxy. Also, in a White Dwarf released around the time of the Necron Codex stated that the Old Ones can be used in games of 40K and converted Lizardmen could represent them. They (WD) said that you could just make up your own rules if you wanted to field them, but this is strictly an non-tournament army, just some fun with your gaming mates.

#15 ·
I know that the tyranids are an Extra-galactic force, but they are definitly NOT new or young. From the imperium's point of view they are a new threat.
The tyranids come from another galaxy or something similar, but remember that the old ones are supposed to be a inter-dimensional and inter-galactic force, so them creating the tyranids is perfectly viable. Besides, the failsave theory is cool.

#16 ·
About shekmets post, uh i dont want to offend anyone but i have all the issues of white dwarf from 1998 onwards,(i just cant sell em) and in the issues there was no images of converted lizardmen, and this was before the new lizard men plastics (my salvaition) do you have any idea how hard it is to convert the old models

#17 ·
Originally posted by Sekhmet@May 22 2004, 09:47
The Tyranids are an increadibly new force in the galaxy not to mension that they are extra-galactic in origin, and the Old Ones died out millions of years ago so I doubt that this is the case. I do however think that the Necrons are somehow manipulating their progress though our galaxy. Also, in a White Dwarf released around the time of the Necron Codex stated that the Old Ones can be used in games of 40K and converted Lizardmen could represent them. They (WD) said that you could just make up your own rules if you wanted to field them, but this is strictly an non-tournament army, just some fun with your gaming mates.
I remember reading this somewhere too but I think it was either on the GW website or in the Necron codex.

#18 ·
theres a bit in the necron codex on page 61, talkin about how the c'tan hunt down the last of the old ones as they are a choice delicacy of theirs, then says you could use a warhammer lizardman army in 40k for some fun (representing the old ones) but you would need to prepare to deal with any oddities

so they basically have an army...kinda. The c'tan have gauss weaponry, the old ones now have pointy sticks...hard b******s

#21 ·
Originally posted by Brother-Fenix@Jun 11 2004, 16:48
In that fight i think the necrons could borrow somekskink skins and get all pretty for a few days :p
I think they'd fit better in Saurus skins :p

#22 ·
Old ones or not, i will laugh at anyone who thinks the Tyranids wern't geneticly engineered

On a related note i think the Old Ones could leave the Galaxy since the Necron ships apparently “crossed galaxies in the blink of an eye�

#23 ·
First the decendents of the Old Ones are the races they created (Eldar, Orks)
Thats why The Necrons want to kill them so bad.
In the Necron codex its says you could use Lizardmen as another race created by the Old Ones but there gone all the Old Ones are dead.
The only way you could play with some kind of Old Ones is to play with a race they created.
And the thing about the Old Ones with pointy skicks they also had warp travel.
deadly.

#24 ·
after the biggest fluff trawl in history, this is what i found:

the old ones arrive from alien galaxy.
find jokaroe.
use jokaroe as template for new speicies'.
create eldar,orks and the decendants of what will be the human race.
war of heaven.
draw as c'tan sent into stasis and old ones forced to flee galaxy.
old ones flee to home galaxy, dissapere from our galaxy altogether.

summary: old ones alive. not in 40k galaxy but still alive.

#26 ·
Originally posted by The Real Leman Russ@Jun 17 2004, 11:28
after the biggest fluff trawl in history, this is what i found:

the old ones arrive from alien galaxy.
find jokaroe.
use jokaroe as template for new speicies'.
create eldar,orks and the decendants of what will be the human race.
war of heaven.
draw as c'tan sent into stasis and old ones forced to flee galaxy.
old ones flee to home galaxy, dissapere from our galaxy altogether.

summary: old ones alive. not in 40k galaxy but still alive.
Necron Codex: Old Ones created Jokaero and grew up in this galaxy. However, it never states that they are extinct and presumably there are pockets hiding who have retained the knowledge and sorcery from the height of their civilizaton

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.