Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultramarines Color Change?

6K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  Diamonion 
#1 ·
I heard they were changing to regal blue for the 4th edition, anyone else hear this?

#10 ·
Blood Angels red was not a color before Games Workshop invented it. In that case, the color was described by the chapter.

Ultramarine blue exists very much independently of Games Workshop. Painting Ultramarines a different color would be like making a chapter called "The Green Marines" then painting them orange.

#11 ·
i was actually informed that ultramarines were remaining their original blue, but the yellow trim was being substituted for gold trim, are these rumours unfounded or did anyone else hear this????

#16 ·
Actually, GW seems to have changed the blue to a tone or two darker (look at the new missile launcher scout).

BTW, there is actually a color called Ultramarine Blue, which has the exact same tone as the GW paint with the same name so I actually doubt that the Ultramarines gave name for that paint.

#17 ·
seriously..it's called a pun...a play on words, the guys who thought up the Ultramarines probably needed a name and thought it would be clever for the chapter to be named after the color of thier armour since it had the words "ultra" and "marine" in it..changing the color would be stupid though..so what are they now,the Aquamarines? ( see that's another one)

#18 ·
Just Because they change the Colour Doesnt mean they changer the name does it, The Segmentum Was called Utramar, there marines, maby if you stopped to think a second, they thought to do them Ultramarine when they called them ultra marines!! becaus they live in ULTRAmar and there marines???

So insted of makeing them Ultramarine then calling them so, prehaps they called them so, then amde them ultra marine?

#20 ·
So your saying they had to name a HUGE section of one of the most important things in tha game (Impirium) and LOADS of other places , Tharis Ultra (name from Warriors of ultramar- excuse spelling of tharis) All because they wanted ONE chapter to have a prety Blue colour to match their name???

Exactly.

#22 ·
I'm saying they were making armies, decided to make an ultramarine blue SM legion/chapter, decided to name them after the colour cos the name's too good not to rip off, and then fleshed out the background accordingly. How would armies come into existence..?

Exactly.

#23 ·
Originally posted by BorninDarkness@Jun 2 2004, 14:31
I'm saying they were making armies, decided to make an ultramarine blue SM legion/chapter, decided to name them after the colour cos the name's too good not to rip off, and then fleshed out the background accordingly. How would armies come into existence..?

Exactly.
yes...exactly exactly o_O

#24 ·
BorninDarkness is right. The designers didn't say "Hey, let's name one of the chapters the Ultramarines and one of the systems Ultramar." and then find out their was a color named ultramarine and decided to paint them that. Like Edicius said, the armies are made first then the fluff.

#26 ·
Sigh...no one seems to have picked up on the subtlety of my last post, with its hidden link and big words, so here it is again:

http://webexhibits.org/pigments/indiv/hist...ltramarine.html

Ultramarine the color.
First used in 6th century Afghanistan, the pigment found its most extensive use in 14th and 15th century illuminated manuscripts and Italian panel paintings, often reserved for the cloaks of Christ and the Virgin.
From the "History of Use" page on that site. So ultramarine has been around a bit longer than Games Workshop.

The Ultramarines are stuck, by virtue of their name, with ultramarine (note that "ultramarine blue" is actually redundant, as ultramarine is a shade of blue...) in the same way as the Black Legion is stuck painted black.

Now, as for changing the yellow color, this would, technically, not apply to the entire chapter, as the shoulder pad border color on Ultramarines differentiates companies. I believe yellow is the 2nd Company, but am not positive. It would be interesting to know if they are changing that company's color, changing which company their studio paints up, or simply using a metallic for some sort of special formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.