Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
New rumours about the new IG codex floating around:The focus of the new IG dex is troops and so is the only information I have regarding new Dex.
First of all Guard are now 4 points each, but this is the "Ground level" guard so to speak. They can have no Special weapons or heavy weapons at all, in all respects they are the new conscripts but with normal guard stats.
There are several types of Platoon as we have already heard, Heavy Weapons, Forward Team, Armoured Devision, Airborne
In addition, each platoon is able to include 1 supporting unit, and this will NOT count towards the FOC.
The supporting unit varys in accordence to how its platoon is organised.
Heavy weapon platoons may take 3 heavy weapons per squad (10 man squad) but no special weapons, these is a points increase per guardsmen but he didn't reveal these. The heavy weapons platoon may take a Fire Support Squad or a Standard Leman Russ. There is additional heavy weapons being given to the guard which are only avaliable in this Fire support squad and not in the main platoon squads.
Forward Team is able to take 3 special weapons (Flamer, Melta, Plasma, GL) but no heavy weapons, in addition they gain Infiltrate. Their supporting units include Veteran Squad and Sentinel Squad. The Veteran squad also gains Infiltrate.
Armoured devision is mounted in Chimeras. They can take a combination of either 3 special weapons or 1 heavy and 1 special weapon. Their support units are Leman Russ Battle tank and Veteran Squad who must also be mounted in a Chimera.
Airborne I was not given much information about but I am guessing it is deepstrike and probably something revolving around Storm Troopers and Valkarey.
The reason Leman Russ are being included in the platoons as they want to push it being the main battle tank of the Imperial Guard and have it represented so.
And more:And more:Hi all,
Here are a few rumours about the new IG Codex a friend heard from a local GW manager. I trust him, as he had already provided me with very accurate informations concerning the 5th Ed SM Codex a few monthes ago. We can expect:
-3 Leman Russes per HS slot. Leman Russes can now move and fire ALL their weapons (including the Battle Canon), regardless of their strength. It seems that GW wants to bring the Leman Russ to the foreground...
-New doctrines, including one which provides +1 to cover and allows firing while going to ground.
-New Plastic Command squad.
-Assault 2 Lasguns (not free, though - probably an upgrade).
-The plastic Valkyrie will cost 60€.
-New plastic Hellhound (old news but good news anyway).
As usual, take it with a pinch of salt.And same source:i got this all from a GW store manager
First=no more doctrines
second=tanks will be in squads
third=crap load of special charaters that give army wide rules like those in new SM codex
fourth=chimera+hellhound might come in one box
fifth and final=troop squads will be like a total of 200Pts for 45 guard
and on a extra note, lots of new modelsHe has later stated that it may be steel legion (some folks in coat...). And that there will be one special charater for catachan, one for steel legion, two for cadia, and one for tallarn. Supposidly the Guard special characters can give you rules like furious charge, and stubborn, + other rules like that. One character gives your IG Russ'es for elite and stuff short of like a armored company.its unupgraded and its 80 PTs less that it is now. And by new models i mean there will be plastic Death Korps, and new catachan. Also Creed is getting like a legendary hero retinue instead of just kell ( there supposed to be old veterans he faught with) Yarrick stays but is changed, and Schaeffer might get booted.
- Sentil frame with flamer, multi-laser, autocannon chainsword. Possible heavy bolter and a plasma cannon.
- Cadian and Catachan command squads. There are 5 models in each squad. For Cadian, the officer wears great coat.
- A metal officer having a master vox on his back. A
- Model of a master psycher. Possible a special character.
- New HQ choice referred to as a "Fleet Officer". Gives access to different types of orbital bombardment every turn.
-There are other officer "types" to select from that give other abilites including a Commissar Lord.
- New Commissar Lord model is available as a new HQ choice with dual models.
- Infantry Squad Recuts; Infantry boxes are rumored to be repackaged as 2 sprues containing eight guardsmen and a single heavy weapon team in each box; similar to what was done to the Eldar Guardian kits.
- Plastic Stormtroopers are on the way.
- Plastic Valkyrie is on the way. This is said to be a transport option for the Stormtroopers and possibly other select squads. Kits have been visually spotted. The Valkyrie will be interesting as it is said to be a skimmer only in the codex. The idea is that flyers never exist in "straight 40k" so the Valkyrie keeps its flyer/skimmer modes as published only in Apocalypse. Price is said to be £35/US$50, and the kit is fairly large (roughly Land Raider sized)
- the Griffon will be back in the artillery section.
- Two different kinds of sentinels. The normal ones and others in support role. These can not scout but get heavier weapons (like plasma cannons).
- One completely new unit and old units coming back
21.01.2009: A nice round-up by The Dude over at warseer.And some more:General info
Release Rumoured to be 2 May 2009.
Rumoured to include at least 2 waves of releases. It is unclear when the second wave will appear.
Judging from the release schedule, it is pretty much confirmed that Primaris Psykers will make a return. Their rules can only be speculated on as yet.
There is rumoured to be a new commander type that allows some type of bombardment.
The green of a Commissar Lord was seen some time ago, and it is rumoured to have rules in the new Codex.
There has also been rumoured to be an Inquisitor and Retinue entry as an HQ choice, which would supposedly appear much like the elites from the current Daemon Hunters/Witch Hunters books.
The assumption has been made based on the WIP Stormtrooper mini that Stormtroopers will be able to take shotguns
Sniper Squads can supposedly infiltrate, get stealth, range finders and all models in the squad have sniper rifles and BS 4.
Veteran squads are rumoured to become upgrades to platoons rather than Elites choices.
Platoons will supposedly benefit from various special rules which only work if the Platoon command squad is alive and within 12” of the rest of the platoon. One such special rule is rumoured to be called "Platoon Drill" or something similar, and grants the ability to ignore any other squad within the Platoon for the purposes of determining the enemy's cover save. What this means is that the Guard squads will get a cover save when being shot at through a squad in the same Platoon, but their enemy will not get one when the squad shoots back.
Platoons have been rumoured to have a great number of options available to them including attaching various support vehicles like sentinels, hellhounds and demolishers. They still take up a FOC spot, but become part of the platoon and so will benefit from the Platoon Drill rule.
Doctrines have supposedly been replaced by Platoons with more options, so for example, rather than Armoured fist squads a player would buy Chimeras for a whole platoon, or buy the whole platoon grav-chutes to give them deep strike, or drop the heavy weapons from squads and give the platoon Scout. This system would allow “crusade” style armies of multiple regiments.
Different kinds of Sentinel will be available with different weapon options. Some will be able to Scout, whilst others will have heavy weapons like Plasma Cannons.
The Valkyrie will be included, possibly as a transport for Stormtroopers, but will most likely be a skimmer (possibly fast) and is rumoured to allow embarked troops to deploy after deep striking.
Ogryns have been rumoured to be T5 with a 4+ save and Feel No Pain.
There are rumoured to be 21 “variants” of tank in the new Codex. It is unclear what exactly constitutes a variant though. It has been rumoured that at least one old style of artillary tank, possibly the Griffon, will make a return.
It is also rumoured that IG tanks will get a special rule allowing them to fire sponson weapons as though they were Defensive weapons. Opinion is still up in the air on the veracity of this one.
The Leman Russ can be bought as a squadron so you can get 3 for a single FOC. It is also rumoured to get a drop in front armour to 13.
It has been pretty much universally stated that the Baneblade is NOT in the new codex.
First Wave rumoured to be as follows (US$):
IG Codex $25
IG Primaris Psyker $15
IG Ratling Snipers $20
IG Sentinel $25
IG Cadian Command Squad $25
IG Catachan Command Squad $25
IG Valkyrie $50
IG Cadian Shock Troops $22
IG Catachan Jungle Fighters $22
New Ratlings have supposedly been spotted and have cloaks and hoods.
The new Sentinel box is rumoured to have all Heavy Weapon options including at least a Plasma Cannon in the box.
The contents of the Command Squads are as yet unknown.
Some say the Valkyrie will include bits to make a Vulture as well. This is far from confirmed and could just be wish-listing repeated as rumour.
The Cadian and Catachan Boxes are most likely 10 man sets with a heavy weapon included. Nothing has been said about whether the box will include multiple heavy weapon options, or if individual heavy weapons sets will be withdrawn. The Catachans are rumoured to be a slight improvement in sculpt more in line with the recent Heavy Weapons team than their original incarnation.
Plastic Roughriders in the Cadian style have been rumoured. Little has been said about these, so they would be 2nd wave at the very least.
CAD drawings of some tanks have been spotted but it is not clear if these are simply concepts or if they are in production. It has been rumoured that the new Leman Russ kit will allow plastic demolishers and a 3rd variant. They don’t seem to be included in the first wave either way.
A WIP Stormtrooper with shotgun (assumed to be Plastic) has been seen. It is unclear when or if this will be released but it doesn't appear to be in the first wave.
There have been rumours of Greatcoat plastics for some time, but these have been consistently shot down by those “in the know”. It seems quite a few GW managers are reporting that plastic Greatcoats are in the pipeline, possibly even as soon as 2nd wave. They will supposedly make Steel Legion, Kreig, and/or Valhallans, which some people believe to be a sign the rumour is untrue, as the look of those regiments would need to be drastically altered to create them all from one kit.
- Infantry squads at 50 points per squad. This is a 10 men squad equipped with sergeant, heavy bolter, flamer and 7 guardsmen. This validates the 4 point guardsman, or 5 points per guardsman with free Heavy and special weapon similar to the new Space marine dex.
- Infantry squads can then be upgraded as per current Codex in terms of weaponry, but can also have support squads added to them and have squad upgrades in a similar vein to Doctrines but without the current complicated restrictions.
- The advisors special rule has been dropped.
- The Commissar Lord allows you to take Stormtroopers as a troops choice. This does conflict with other rumours which say that Stormtroopers will be troops anyway.
- The valk is a stormtrooper only transport but allows them to Deep Strike more effectively in a similar way to the drop pod.
- Sentinels can now be bought from both Fast Attack and Heavy Support slots. Depending on which slot they are bought from dictates their weaponry and rules. Fast Attack Sentinels retain scout and remain open topped, Heavy Support can have Plasma cannons etc and enclosed cockpits but lose scout.
- The new HQ boxed set apparently has lots of lovely new bits including an underarm swagger stick Drill Instructor style.
-An alternative to the platoon drill, or another variant, where the owning player of the guard army can declare a unit to go onto "overwatch" rules. The unit can get a round of free shooting off in the enemies shooting phase at the cost of next turns shooting and assualting.
- Stormtroopers will get a pick of mission 'operations', be it outflank, deepstrike etc.
- Three variations of Hellhound. (seems strange - could be a version of the rumours about squadrons)
- Guard officers won't be Independent characters anymore, at least the platoon level ones, and instead will be more like sergeants and not give up kp.
- Conscript will supposedly be a Troops choice much like Daemon in the Chaos Marine Dex in that they do not take up a FOC slot. They will supposedly come with a command squad mad up of a Commissar and three teams of Heavy Bolters. The concept is that if the Conscripts break, the Heavy Bolter team guns them down each one killed gives +1 to their Ld up to a max of 10. They are supposedly also Fearless until the Commissar and HW team have been killed.
- The Hellhound is supposedly bought in squadrons of 3 (this could mean up to 3), and they can combine there firepower but will sacrifice a turn of shooting like dire avengers do. They will subsequently suffer +1 to any damage results during their reload turn.
- You can have a Storm Trooper Squad/Platoon as a Troops choice (not clear if this means both or one of), but this is reliant on an upgraded HQ choice. They can Infiltrate if not transported.
- Plastic Storm troopers will supposedly be 10 models in a box from £12-15. No further word on box contents.
- Hellguns change (unknown how)
As usually - salt is needed.
Kudos to DD, Bols and Warseer.
Last edited by Tyfus; February 15th, 2009 at 19:30.
These rumors sound great! If these are true, the Imperial Guard are going to gain a great deal of versatility and will be great at taking objectives. Rep to you!
"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon
agreed. im really liking these rumours in regards to the troops section. but didnt the guy whos writing the dex say there was also going to be a big change in the armour section? like heaps of different tanks compared to the old codex?
Well if I can take Leman Russ as Troops (attached to platoon) then I still have 3 Heavy Slots for Tanks, and Fast Attack for more Tanks!.
I'm hoping for a wide variety, and I want it to be a very hard choice to make between them (all good for their points, competitive, etc)
I like the sound off 3 special weapons in line squads, and 3 heavy weapons in heavy squads. Far more efficient use of weapons than the current set up.
Any idea when this is due?
Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
I currently play:
Doom Eagle Space Marines
Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
Tau of O'me
Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters
and my attempted foray into fantasy
'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff
It looks like that they have taken a leaf out of how modern armies work. Generally speaking different platoons will have different roles as to how they work. If their role is armoured (ie mounted in a Bradley or Warrior APC) then they will have the necessary heavy support (ie Challenger 2/Abraham MBT).
I like it. I like it a lot. I may just have to dust off my IG army and have the Antonian 4th Mechanised do their thing.
Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.
These rumors appear solid and believable, can't wait!
Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
Voor alle nederlanders:
The Dutch Legion
Sounds quiet good. The whole leman russ troop choice seems totally awesome!
I have been considering a renegade guard armoured company (That FW modellers mastercraft book! *SHAKES FIST!*) and I think the inculsion of a legal GW list (FW already have an equivilant) will sway me to take this up!
I like the sound of this! Actually- I like the sound of any IG codex that can be brutalised into a renegade list.
No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!