Librarium Online Forums banner

Hall of Heroes is no more!?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Darchangel 
#1 ·
So I call up the Oakville Ontario battle bunker to check on the tourney I've been painting and writing up a storm for, and they tell me it's no longer happening. Not only that, but they tell me:

"Hall of Heroes doesn't exist anymore. Games Workshop stores, including battle bunkers are no longer running tournaments. Instead we're focusing on events, like the Lucky 13s and the Guard campaign we'll be doing next week..."

Now, I'm willing to throw the dogs at G-Dub all kinds of bones about their business practices, but I have to ask the question, is this true?? Do we have any kind of idea why they'd do this...?? I obviously didn't rage out on or interrogate the guy, but I've been working pretty hard here, and I get bloody excited about tournaments. Are they going to replace it with something? How are they going to decide the criteria for Grand Tournament..?

Any thoughts..?

#2 ·
I've heard talk of them suspending and revamping the HoH concept, ironing out some issues and at least trying to mitigate the edge that some gamers get from living in high tournament count areas.

Something about making HoH a more restricted idea so that only larger tourneys count - no more building up huge points by ploughing through every tiny little event that somehow counts for HoH points.

Just some musings I've heard around the store here in the 'Peg... Take them with the usual dose of salt.

#3 ·
To be fair I don't see tournaments organised at a local level to really be something GW should be committed to. Assisting a local club to run a tournament IS something I believe they should do. Unfortunately the HoH was skewed, like any central registry that doesn't regulate it's contributing regional competitions.

#4 ·
As a (Western) Canadian Gamer, I can comfortably say the HoH system was totally borked. Don't live near Toronto or Montreal? Two events per year for you buddy, at most! Better take home that best overall trophy if you want it to count for the GT.

It was pretty much inevitable once GW-Canada got shutdown and merged into GW-'North America' that everything would get merged into one system anyway. I do miss the pre-launch black boxes GW Canada used to do though. We used to have fun painting parties at the store with them. Unfortunately 95% of retailers just tossed the crap up on eBay.

#5 ·
As a (Western) Canadian Gamer, I can comfortably say the HoH system was totally borked. Don't live near Toronto or Montreal? Two events per year for you buddy, at most! Better take home that best overall trophy if you want it to count for the GT.
Yeah, I understand your point, for sure.. I think we in "Onterrible" are (or were) a little spoiled for things like that.

I had been speaking from the standpoint of just enjoying the preparation of an army for a tournament, seeing some cool armies and really sharpening the competitive edge that you just don't get in a store event..

I just hope Wraith is right about the possibility of HoH being revamped to better suit concerns like yours, InquisitorAffe. I'd prefer it if the system were a little more strict.. cuts out the riff-raff. :snicker:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.