Ultramarine the movie- any good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultramarine the movie- any good?

I am tempted to put down my money for the collectors set but am curious if anyone has actually seem the entire movie and if it is any good.
    Why is it not going to the theaters and straight to dvd? Is it because it's so awful or is it some other distribution problem?
    Any feedback will be appreciated before I push the purchase button.

Amongor

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

I'm unable to answer your first question, but I think you should give less consideration to the fact that its not going to the big screen.

I haven't seen Ultramarine, but often movies can go straight to DVD if they're for a niche market. It's probably too hard to fit enough background into a movie (usually less than two hours long) to draw the average person in to the Grimdarkverse. As a result, the movie could be fantastic, but be aimed at such a small part of the market that the investment to make and market it for theater doesn't look like it'll earn money overall because most of the general movie-market wouldn't appreciate it's worth. Plus, 40k players are pretty networked, so just advertising to the hobbyists is easier than drawing everyone in by more than just a linear relation.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by rafis117 View Post
    I'm unable to answer your first question, but I think you should give less consideration to the fact that its not going to the big screen.

I haven't seen Ultramarine, but often movies can go straight to DVD if they're for a niche market. It's probably too hard to fit enough background into a movie (usually less than two hours long) to draw the average person in to the Grimdarkverse. As a result, the movie could be fantastic, but be aimed at such a small part of the market that the investment to make and market it for theater doesn't look like it'll earn money overall because most of the general movie-market wouldn't appreciate it's worth. Plus, 40k players are pretty networked, so just advertising to the hobbyists is easier than drawing everyone in by more than just a linear relation.
    I would say that this is the very possitive thinking mode there!
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

And it's most likely true. A 40K film is a pretty niche product in a niche market. The last 2 stargate movies for example are from the succesfull stargate franchise which at current count has run 17 seasons total in 3 series are still going direct-to-DVD. I did hear they were preparing to hold one or a few showings of the movie at a cinema somewhere, which is a pretty cool thing to do.

Also not all cinema's would run the movie if they didn't think it'd earn back the cost. I believe the original star wars movie only airad at 35 or 39 theaters at first untill it proved a huge hit at the boxoffice.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    And it's most likely true. A 40K film is a pretty niche product in a niche market. The last 2 stargate movies for example are from the succesfull stargate franchise which at current count has run 17 seasons total in 3 series are still going direct-to-DVD. I did hear they were preparing to hold one or a few showings of the movie at a cinema somewhere, which is a pretty cool thing to do.

Also not all cinema's would run the movie if they didn't think it'd earn back the cost. I believe the original star wars movie only airad at 35 or 39 theaters at first untill it proved a huge hit at the boxoffice.
    Dont get me wrong,optimism is a good thing,but id like to keep my horses back till i get some feedback first.Considering that i didnt like the trailers too much.
    While i totaly accept your point about the box office,who sais that a movie has to be a box office buster to be great?Poppular yes,great no.
    Last edited by pilot00; December 13th, 2010 at 00:26.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

I'm not saying that, but when people lined up outside the theaters for star wars I bet quite a couple more cinema's took it in. Many great things go under the radar. It happens all the time. Some of the shows they air on for example the sci-fi ch.. o, no wait.. it's syfy now.. anyway, on the syfy channel are really great shows. But few people have the syfy channel so it is unnoticed by most.

I heard many say that the trailers don't do the movie any credit. My collectors edition is underway and I hope it's here tomorrow or the day after.

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    sci-fi ch.. o, no wait.. it's syfy now..
    When a niche tries to go mainstream, it leaves a lot of its sense by the wayside.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I haven't seen the movie yet, though I would love to. However I did find a review of it online from someone who attended the early screenling.

Link
    Floor to Ceiling Books: Ultramarines the Movie

"It has been a weekend of movies for me! On Saturday I headed up to the Big Smoke for a film day with friends Liz and Mark (from My Favourite Books) and Alex Bell (author extraordinaire). We kicked the event off with The Princess Bride (classic, funny, romantic, perfect fantasy fare), then embarked on both red wine and Serenity after a spot of lunch. Although not as good as the series Firefly which preceded it, Serenity is excellent viewing - plus Alex had never seen it, and I always enjoy bringing it to more people's attentions.

Next The Spiderwick Chronicles (amusing, light-hearted and with a real folklore feel) and finally Hot Fuzz (stunningly stupid but so damn funny). A great day's viewing, I think you will agree. Much red wine was consumed, and Casa De Jager was the perfect venue!

But this post is mainly about the events of Sunday...

Thanks to the generosity of Nik and Dan Abnett, I received a much coveted ticket to the pre-release screening of Ultramarines the Movie in the Odeon, Shaftesbury Avenue. Me and Mark spent the entire train trip to the screening trying not to bounce with excitement *grin*.

I confess I haven't been following the build up massively (Mark is entirely different - he has been watching the trailer to death!) but the idea of watching a proper space marine movie was SO brilliant: massive superhumans clad in power armour, wielding death with chainsaw and bolter.

The excitement built right from the queue, but it was really when we were sat in the auditorium waiting for events to kick off that I had to pinch myself. Everyone was so friendly, chatting and laughing and anticipating the movie we were about to see. I've decided I rather like pre-release showings!

So... to my review of the movie:

Let's start with the awesome! The screenplay was right on the money - at times a little cheesy, but with fist punching moments of brilliance. Dan Abnett has written a classic war film, but added in fantastic Warhammer 40K touches which let you know exactly what you are watching. It has the feel of a Horus Heresy novel in tone - mostly dark and grim, but with flashes of humour that were handled superbly.

The score was also excellent - ominous and awe-inspiring by turn; never over-powering but lending a real atmosphere to the film.

Some of the rendering was superb, in particular the demons. They were genuinely chilling, and looked exactly as I imagined they would from the figures produced by Games Workshop. They moved fluidly and added real menace to the proceedings.

Now to the good... In general, the look of the film was beautiful, if inconsistent. I loved the little geek touches - the warhammer was brilliant, the weapons (chainsaws, flamers and bolters) were as realistic as futuristic weapons can be, and seeing things like Landspeeders on screen made me squee a little inside.

Now to the poor: The film was slight in plot, which was disappointing considering the stories available from the background of the Ultramarines. Although I admire the fact that the film was able to bring in the talents of people like Terence Stamp and John Hurt, I found Sean Pertwee's voice too distinctive to really engage with the character he portrayed - admittedly this was a fault of mine, rather than that of the film! At times the animation work felt a little "cheap".

However, the biggest fault of the film is that it was far too short! This is a great thing! I could have watched it for hours more, and will be rewatching the film once I have my copy in hand. There is something extremely special seeing Space Marines brought to 'life' and I think any fan of Warhammer 40K will find something to enjoy here. A decent effort, and I hope the people involved will be able to build on the success of the first."

Again, credit here goes to the writer as I did not write this or view the movie.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

459 (x8)

That is very helpful its quite nice to have a preview.

I heard many say that the trailers don't do the movie any credit
    Hope you are right my friend,although it seems a bit contradictory,i mean a trailer is supposed to give more than credit to a movie isnt it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

Damnation, I just can't wait! My copy still hasn't arrived though. I got a mail saying it was shipped last wednesday so I am crossing my fingers hoping it is here tomorrow.
    ..or the day after
    ..or the day after that
    ..or the day after that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast