Games Workshop Sales issues - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Games Workshop Sales issues

Just got an email off the Financial Times. So looks like us guys dont spend enough

"Shares in Games Workshop, the producer and retailer of model war games, fell 16.5 per cent after the company warned of lower profits following “difficult trading conditions”. Sales fell 4 per cent in the first half of the year and on Wednesday the company said that poor trading since then meant that the shortfall was unlikely to be recovered during the second half."

FT.com / Companies / Retail - Games Workshop warns on conditions

"Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

2. Thanksthemonsterintheswamp thanked for this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Not surprised, since players are just not excited anymore. Not enough aggression from GW in pushing out new products, and the lack of keeping the waters stirring.

Games Workshop is going more business than hobby anymore, with their lawsuits, computer games, ever rising prices, and such.

Once they switch gears back to the "hobby" they once were, they'll see a nice improvement in sales and interest again.

Just my opinion anyway :}
    Last edited by SheBeast76; January 6th, 2011 at 22:58. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x3)

Meh. They had a dip 8 years (ish) ago. It happens now and then in business.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Eh, it'll pass. Once GW extracts a finger and starts doing more stuff, people will become more interested.

~ Acarna

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x2)

In tough economic times, profits will be lower, but the fact that they will still make a profit is OK. The drop in shares just shows the level of greed of some investors. Those that sell at the slightest hint of bad news are always hopping from one share to another. Long term investors are a little more stable and understanding of occasional downturns. Having said that, LeapingLizard76 has a point. If GW are not running things well, then the canny investors may sell out and that is never good. I'm just pleased I invest in property and take a long term view of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, even with my minimal understanding of economics and shareholding, this sort of stuff will be bound happen. More so because of our tough economic time at the moment, but I can't help but feel the this new, business oriented attitude of GW's is at least part responsible for this economic loss.

Like I said, me and economic have a rock relationship at best =P

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

having studied all the annual reports GW have pumped out over the last 10 years for my university coursework recently...

They're in a much better position now than they have been... probably ever. They took on a whole load of debt to reshuffle everything and streamline, and not its paying off and they no longer have outstanding loans to repay. Just because sales are what were expected and share price drops doesn't mean that the company is in trouble at all. They're still paying out dividends which they only managed to bring back a year or two ago - that tells you that they're stable or they'd be hoarding money to ensure they dont go bust.
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Plus which business ISN'T suffering from lower profit than expected? (aside from ripoff energy companies and sneaky banks). We're not exactly in a financial golden age, and GW are a pure luxury product which will be first to go in a recession.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

However until this point they have done pretty well in the recession. With a slow recovery in the UK it could be expected that they would be rising again as luxury products are some of the first to rise when a recession finishes (people treat them selfs after bad times). While the economic times are bad and where the finger is been pointed i don’t believe its the only issue for GW which is make bad sales.

Dont get me wrong i agree there is no major issue, and the company is not going under in the near future. However i do think they must be careful not to become complacent thinking its bad times so its ok and will sort its self in the future.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well GW's fiscal year runs from July to July I think. Summerish anyway. What did they release in the first half of the year. Dark Eldar and 8th ed fantasy. Naturally sales will decrease after this. Only one army was released in this time. The fact that sales only fell by 4% is a testament to how incredibly well the dark eldar sold alone. No new fantasy armies because they're waiting for feedback before they do anything (smart) and a few new models for amies previously released. The calendar year for 2011 will be rather aggressive I imagine. There should be at least 3 40k armies as well as god knows how many fantasy armies. As soon as they realise all these terribad expansions don't sell at all and they're just pissing money away they'll be fine.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast