40K eighth edition Rumors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

40K eighth edition Rumors

Hey Everyone I am looking for a place to discuss the eighth edition rumors. Seems like WarHammer 8th edition is coming and there will be some pretty substantial rule changes.

Big rumors that I have seen include:

Unit type no longer dictating movement speed. Each unit will be given a speed characteristic.

Weaponskill will no longer be a compare type statistic. Each Weapon skills will work like Ballistic skill, (in that a 4 always hit on a 3), except now the stat line will just ready 3+ meaning that is what this unit needs to hit in close combat.

It looks like there is no longer any kind of initiative statistic. Combat order will be dictated by the unit that charges, instead of the units actual speed in combat.

It also seems like vehicles will no longer have a special table for damage and work similar to monstrous creatures; though they will end up with significantly more wounds.

Have people heard other rumors, and what do people think about the changes listed so far from seventh edition to Eighth?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've not heard of seen much else from what you've mentioned already.
    Most forums are just people moaning like babies, which makes it very difficult to keep up with the good juicy bits.
    but after a long long time from 3-7 having the same basic rules I'm looking forwards to 8th. it has a very strong 2nd edition feel to it. I stopped played around half way through 4th as the game had just become a boring long drawn out painful joke.
    now I would consider doing some smaller forces just to chuck some dice around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesvalentine View Post
    I've not heard of seen much else from what you've mentioned already.
    Most forums are just people moaning like babies, which makes it very difficult to keep up with the good juicy bits.
    but after a long long time from 3-7 having the same basic rules I'm looking forwards to 8th. it has a very strong 2nd edition feel to it. I stopped played around half way through 4th as the game had just become a boring long drawn out painful joke.
    now I would consider doing some smaller forces just to chuck some dice around.
    I have the same feel to it as you...stopped playing around 5th edition and I heard they.Ree bringing big changes with the new edition. I'll stick around to see what's up with the hype around 8th edition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Ditto. I've only really played a couple of games since 5th edition dropped in. I missed 6th edition entirely. I'll be keeping an eye on this and see if it can excite me and get me back into playing games of 40k.

Honestly, I hope not. I have enough to paint all ready!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x3)

It is weird to me that there is so much complaining on other sites about this. So far I think things sound good to me. I do think that the change from comparing WS in close combat could be a down grade, but otherwise I like the idea of modifiers instead of all or nothing on saves, I like everything having its own movement statistic. I do think losing initiative could be bad, but I also know that in the assault heavier editions it felt like the stat that was the most oppressive.

That being said I played some 3rd, mostly 4th and 5th, 6th once and then have read 7th, but not played it because it felt so bloated and in 6th everything had so many rules that we kept going to look up that the game took forever. I miss that it used to be smaller scale; but I don't want it to go back to the HeroHammer days (which I didn't play, and only heard of) where your lords or sergeants really dictated most of the results of the game. I wander if the people who are used/like to 7th don't want to make changes because it does seem like historically a lot of the changes have not been positive (or at least move away from the army list that they like to play) and are worried this will be more of the same now that they are settled into something.

As for hopes that come with the new edition I really would like them to get rid of a lot of the randomness that just doesn't need to be random--warlord traits, psychic powers, mysterious objectives...I really would like to be able to just pick, or at least pay for a warlord trait and get the one that I want.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

This is one of my biggest peeves with the current 40k game. The sheer volume of rules. My mate has a Chaos army and I think he needs to bring FIVE books with him just for his 2000pt army. That's bonkers. My Marines will need two, plus the rule book 0.o and that's without any allies! It's hard enough keeping track of your own army let alone everyone else's. They really need to reign all this back in so the game is more manageable and easier for people to get into.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

From what I've seen compiled together (mostly on Blood of Kittens, they have a decent compilation of all the rumours and the sources they are from) it looks like it will be an advanced version of Age of Sigmar. Lots of stuff is simplified and streamlined (I particularly like that Run moves are done in the Movement Phase now), but it's still more rule-heavy than Age of Sigmar. So intermediate to AoS's elementary.

One thing that has really caught my eye is the Falling Back move, whereas units that survive a round of combat can elect to fall back (not sure if this is done on a Leadership test or not). This will allow units to avoid tarpits, as well as disengaging a shooty unit from a melee unit in order to allow for more shooty units to blast at them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it funny I don't wanna play 6th or 7th because of the amount of rules...yet I want to play 2nd.........durp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x3)

Just saw these rumors pop up at BellofLostSouls...Seems like a lot of things to talk about.
    – Assault 2d6”, multiple units
    – Split fire: any unit can target as many targets as they want
    – Normally the unit don’t have to target the nearest unit, but there are lots of abilities that have this restriction
    – Invulnerable saves simply ignore armour penetration up to the given value. They are not that common, wave serpents and Canoptek wraiths have one
    – Most power fields, etc. are separate saves that are taken in addition to other saves just like FnP of today, they may or may not ignore mortal wounds on a case by case basis
    – Dodges, camos, etc are now to hit modifiers
    – Characters cannot join units
    – Characters can only be targeted if nearest target or within 12”
    – Larger models are seldom characters, Gulliman is not for example
    – Deepstriking units can be placed anywhere. Every unit with deep strike has a value. Have to beat it to land on target, otherwise opposing player can move unit the rolled distance
    – There are no mishaps anymore
    – Overwatch shooting against deep striking units within 9” at -1 BS
    – Summoning is not a psychic ability anymore, normal deep striking with psyker as homing beacon instead
    – There are spells that replenish or add wounds to demon squads
    – Most vehicles have a single attack with high S, but no AP, some have considerably more like the battle waggon
    – Vehicles and units fighting against vehicles usually can fall back without penalty, they cannot move in the charge phase when they have moved or shot in the same turn. Most walkers don’t have this rule
    – Terrain enhances armour in assault phase for the defender, or both in consecutive turns, is negated by grenades
    – Assaulting units get +1 attack
    – Vertical movement does not count against the allowance but a model cannot go higher than the movement value in a given phase. Lots of exceptions for jumping, flying, etc. of course
    Ranges are measured on the ground level from base or model to base or model, whichever is nearer
    – Units are deployed within 3” of a transport, cannot move, but can charge in the charge phase
    – No more firing from a transport, though some vehicles, especially open topped ones have extra firing points weapons if they transport enough (and sometimes eligible) models. But they use their own BS and the kind of weapon is fixed. For example Raiders have 5 fire point splinter rifles, but only if they transport kabalite warriors
    – No challenges
    – Hidden power fists viable again, wound allocation by owning player, any model in squad, but wounded ones first
    – There are some precision weapons that let the firing player choose the wound allocation (always or on a 6)
    – Units have always the same T and Save now. There are some models that have T- Sv – and adapt like drones and grots, most of the other combined units have matchings stats now, Black templar neophytes have a 3+ now, for whatever reason
    – Command points allow to reroll saves, hits, wounding or charge distance, reroll any single dice throw, negate all terrain in 12” of one of your models, alter the attack sequence, boost psychic block rolls, allow additional reserves and allow units to get another charge phase after wiping out an enemy
    – There are some models like Ghazghkull that have their own abilities that are triggered by command points
    – perils of the war: snake eyes on the test, d6 on table, d3 mortal wounds and losing a spell are the worst cases
    – Player can spend command points to choose who goes first instead of rolling, whoever spends more
    – Matched games have a fixed number of turns, 5 or 6 rounds depending on mission, 18” is starting range and turn 1 charges are completely legal
    – Reserves are not random, except for rounding: second turn half the units are deployed, third turn half of the remaining, fourth turn rest
    – Flyers have an individual to hit modifier, mostly -2 or -3, a 6 is always a hit as usual, depends on the flying mode for flyers that have more than one
    – Flyers are affected by heavy weapon malus, but most flyer weapons are assault,
    flyer weapons have often a shorter range and a different name, but are otherwise identical to their ground counterparts
    – Terrain does not influence movement distance per se. Some citadel terrain pieces half the movement or do other things.
    – There are no warzone rules in the core rules
    – True line of sight is used to establish line of sight to a model, but otherwise models count in or out of cover depending if they are in a piece of terrain or if they are touching it and the firing – line goes through the terrain
    – In matched play, models have a fixed base size specified in the General’s Handbook. In the two other game types, they can use any base they want

I think most of these look pretty good. I am a little concerned about the change in base size for matched play. Especially as they are coming out with a new base size that I may have to move all of my models on to.
    Everyone being able to split fire is interesting...I mean it is tactically more accurate, but does seem like squads are less squad like. I like nonrandom reserves, Terrain not affecting movement is a bit interesting...I was hoping for something like light medium and heavy terrain reducing your unit move by d2, d3, or d6. I am hopeful that they do more with d2 and d3 so that we do have more rolling options, but I still have not seen d2 used yet.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

It sounds like they are going a little bit back towards second edition with modifiers to hit and split fire and picking out characters if they are the closest targets etc. These rule changes sound good. Not being able to pick out squad leaders and no more challenges makes sergeants much more useful. We'll see Powerfist wielding sergeants again!!

I'm not sure my guard like the idea of being charged on the first turn however.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast