Rise of Sotek - Rules - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rise of Sotek - Rules

I have been following rumors about the upcomming campaign for a while now, and while I have seen some awesome pictures (I play Skaven and am going to make a pestilence army) I was wondering how much is known about what rules for different armies will be revised/released. SoC saw many specialty armies with their own special rules (eg the Eshin list was revamped with night attack, etc.).

In short, has anyone actually heard any details about any of the nitty-gritty of the campaign armies? Im especially interested in the Pestilence and lizardmen lists... For example does anyone know any of the rules of the cauldron of 1000 poxes, or perhaps special rules/abilities for Tenehuini (spelling?) or Nurglitch?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Hate to burst the bubble but it's against forum policy to ask for stats or rules regarding copyright on these items.
    You'll just have to wait for your copy of the book like most of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreachon
    Hate to burst the bubble but it's against forum policy to ask for stats or rules regarding copyright on these items.
    You'll just have to wait for your copy of the book like most of us.
    Since the book isn't out yet, so he's asking for rumors, I really don't see the problem.

From what I heard, there are ONLY two lists in the book, one for Clan Pestilens (with Nurglitch), and one for the Lizardmen army under the prophet.

For all we know, these may just be like the War of the Beard armies, and not usable outside of the recreation of the Rise of Sotek campaign.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I know is that the lizardmen list will include alot of skinks, the pestilence army might get some special slave-unit that dies a little now and then due to disease, the lizardmen will get an engine of the old ones mounted on some dinosaur and works kinda like a stone thrower, only it can guess on the whole table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WiCkEdRock
    All I know is that the lizardmen list will include alot of skinks, the pestilence army might get some special slave-unit that dies a little now and then due to disease, the lizardmen will get an engine of the old ones mounted on some dinosaur and works kinda like a stone thrower, only it can guess on the whole table.
    There is also a new Skaven Warmachine (I suppose...) called the Cauldron of a Thousand Poxes.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Stolen info:

Tehinuhuini is a skink chief with varying increases on WS, BS, W, I, and LD, and he is a Lv 3 wizard with heavens lore. He also has the red crested rule (see below)
    He has a 4+ ward a totem that lets swarms regenerate on a 6 and has +1 strength on the turn he charges thanks to soteks dagger which also grants him killing blow.
    He also counts as being mounted on a 'lesser swarm' and is unbreakable and has sotek spawning. Pretty good for a skink but 300pts aint!

You can upgrade regular skinks to red crested skinks who are sotek spawned, have HW and Shields are immune to posion can move through woods without penalty hate all skaven and can only be wounded on a 6 by censer bearers.

You can take 2 skink chiefs as one hero choice both allowed 75pts of magic items and can be given the red crest (see above) they can only take sotek spawning, but you HAVE to take Tehinuhuini as a Lord choice in order to use the list (so unusable outside campaign).
    Skink preists and scar vets can be included as normal, as can Old bloods but remember Tehinuhuini has to be first Lord choice (as does Nurglitch in Skaven list)....
    Chameleon skinks have become a rare choice and stegadons and possibly Slann are not allowed at all (skaven destroyed Tehinuhuini's home city with plague, so no posh stuff)

The fat new dino with the sun dial on his back ( laugh.gif ) is Arcanodon who is a carnosaur who takes up a rare choice and although he is a character does not take up a character slot (but he is still technically a character, so again unuasable outside the campaign). He acts like a regular dino but has fewer attacks and a lower WS (he is an OLD geezer!) and rather strangely he has a stone thrower on his back with a 360 line of site with attacks tht are magical and flaming.

Fluff wise he is an exceptionally old carnosaur and has had the divice strapped to his back. No-one knows where it came from, how old it is or how it works, it just functions by itself (hense the reason for the lack of crew).

Dont expect a new model for it though, just rules. Although WD are apparantly gonna do a conversion guide for it (great knarloc, dragon, carnosaur....).

There are no new magic items ('cept the ones Tehinuhuini has), only two new banners which are both 25 pts. Apparantly one makes the unit frenzied (angry skinks tongue.gif ) and the other is uncomfirmed.

There is also new senarios, for example 'quick sand' were the unit travelling through it has to take an armour save in order to survive (the weight of the armour pulling them down, bye bye chaos wink.gif ).

So basically the list plays very much like southlands, but is HEAVILY geared towards playing pestilens skaven.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think the weapon of the old ones is a conversion.... there is a picture in another post looks too good to be conversion kit.

Do you have any info on the Clan pestilence stuff? I do play skaven after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

The WOTOO as seen in the WD is a conversion, Phil Kelly himself has confirmed this at GD Atlanta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems lizarmen are getting all the advantages in fighting plague rats. Will the skaven get any nasty tricks?
    “Cry ‘Havoc’ and let slip the dogs of war!? - Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

To be completely honest I'm not too sure on the rats, but then as it says I stole this. Although I do happen to have this extract from a chat I was umm... reading. (NB: I really can't be arsed to cut out all the other stuff.. so bare with it.)

[21:19] <+Dragonkin> The two army lists in it are really the main interesting bit, and the problem with them is that they're not generic - the Skaven list has Nurglitch as a compulsory character, and the lizardmen must take Tenehuain.
    [21:19] <+darkprincess> what's this big dinosaur thingy that the lizzies have in the new WD ?
    [21:19] <+Dragonkin> Both being Lord Choices.
    [21:20] <+Dragonkin> DP: It's basically a stone thrower with magical and flaming attacks that can move and fire and is mounted on a big lizard.
    [21:20] <+darkprincess> Dragonkin: thats a hell of a lizard - it looks HUGE in the pic !
    [21:21] <@The_Ol_Dwarf> ^^
    [21:21] <+Dragonkin> DP: Yeah... problem is that at least some staff members here thinks it's a conversion, rather than a new model =/
    [21:21] <+Lethalis> it is, isn't it?
    [21:21] <+darkprincess> Dragonkin: so is it or isn't it ?
    [21:21] <+Dragonkin> It's apparantly one of them big Kroot lizards with a carnosaur head.
    [21:22] <+Dragonkin> DP: I don't know, since I haven't seen it on any release schedule.
    [21:22] <+darkprincess> Dragonkin: I thought it was a large scale cold one model or something
    [21:23] <+Dragonkin> DP: Yeah, looks a bit like it...
    [21:23] <+Dragonkin> I also find it interesting that the picture section of the book shows stuff like jezzails and ratling guns, but they aren't even in the Skaven list to begin with =P
    [21:23] <@The_Ol_Dwarf> FW maybe? Just for a bit of fun =P
    [21:24] <+darkprincess> Dragonkin: looks interesting though - I guess the rules for it are in the lustria book yes ?
    [21:24] <+Dragonkin> Yeah.
    [21:25] <+darkprincess> Dragonkin: ok
    [21:25] <+Dragonkin> But it can only be used with that specific list which requires specific special characters.
    [21:25] <+darkprincess> Dragonkin: that sucks
    [21:25] * Daeric has joined #WarhammerFantasy
    [21:25] * ChanServ sets mode: +v Daeric
    [21:26] <+Dragonkin> Red Crested Skinks are nasty though - no penalty for moving in jungles/woods (even if ranked up), only affected by plague censers on a 6, hate skaven, immune to poison...
    [21:27] <+Dragonkin> Hmm... looking at the Knarlocs on the forge world website though, they look nothing like the critter carrying the war machine.
    [21:27] <+Dragonkin> Hmm... looking at the Knarlocs on the forge world website though, they look nothing like the critter carrying the war machine.
    [21:27] <+Dragonkin> Might be a model, I guess, even though it'll be ridiculously specialized.
    [21:28] <+darkprincess> Dragonkin: are they likely to release such a big (and thus expensive) model if it can't be used in a standard lizards list ?
    [21:28] <+Dragonkin> Dunno... it wouldn't surprise me, really, they might just hope for flavour of the month.
    [21:28] <+Dragonkin> Or wait two weeks and then tell people they don't have to use the special characters anymore.
    [21:29] <+Dragonkin> The lists are still legal outside the campaign, anyway, it's just that you're forced to use those special chars, which really dates the list (since Nurglitch has to be before Clan Pestilens got a spot on the Council)
    [21:29] <+Daeric> whats the tpoic?
    [21:29] <+Daeric> topic
    [21:30] <+Dragonkin> Hey Daeric
    [21:30] <+Daeric> hi
    [21:30] <+Dragonkin> Lustria book, atm.
    [21:30] <+Daeric> k
    [21:31] <+Daeric> thats just reminded me, I need to get the new WD
    [21:31] <+darkprincess> Dragonkin: I don't like this requirement that the list can only be used with certain characters - I think most players were hoping for a more generic variant list
    [21:31] <+Dragonkin> DP: Yeah... especially since there are lord level characters in there.
    [21:31] <+darkprincess> Daeric: I got it today - not too bad. better than some recent issues (less ogres in it)
    [21:31] <+Daeric> yay
    [21:31] <+Dragonkin> DP: I do like the changes they did to the Clan Pestilens wizards.
    [21:32] <+darkprincess> Dragonkin: what changes are there ?
    [21:32] <+Dragonkin> Instead of just being able to cast Pestilens Breath, they know Pestilent Breath when level 1. If they're level 2, they gain Plague, and at level 3 they gain Death Frenzy.
    [21:32] <+Dragonkin> The lord level wizard is level 2, and can upgrade to level 3 for 60 pts.
    [21:32] <+Daeric> sounds reasonable
    [21:32] <+darkprincess> fair enough
    [21:32] <+Zee> aww... no Crystal of Midnight rapage...
    [21:33] <+Daeric> whats his base pints cost?
    [21:33] <+Daeric> points
    [21:33] <+Dragonkin> The pusbags are an interesting unit, but I can't see them being converted up much.
    [21:33] <+Dragonkin> Daeric: Can't remember, to be honest.
    [21:33] <+Daeric> k
    [21:33] * +Daeric pushbags?
    [21:34] <+Dragonkin> Skaven Slaves at 3 pts each...
    [21:34] <+Daeric> expendable fodder at its best
    [21:34] <@The_Ol_Dwarf> Quick Q, the revised lore - Do they have to be used? Or is it optional?
    [21:34] <+Dragonkin> They can't get spears or shields anymore, but can buy flails. They get the Cloud of Flies ability, but d6 models die every turn.
    [21:34] <+darkprincess> yeah it sounds like a good list - be better if it was generic
    [21:34] <+Daeric> its slaves through, you always take them in units of 40
    [21:34] <+Dragonkin> Yeah...
    [21:35] <+Daeric> I did when i was playing around with skaven
    [21:35] <+Dragonkin> But would you convert up 40+ slaves with flails for a list that requires a special character?
    [21:35] <+Daeric> probably not
    [21:35] <+Zee> Yeah
    [21:35] <+darkprincess> Dragonkin: quickj answer - no
    [21:36] <+Dragonkin> They also get Rotten Rodents - Clanrats, except T4, and slightly different weapon options (can take xhw, not sure if they get armour/shield)
    [21:36] <+Daeric> through I keep meaning to start a skaven army
    [21:36] <+darkprincess> interesting
    [21:36] <+Dragonkin> There's one hero choice in the list that isn't a full plague monk, can't remember his name.
    [21:36] <+Daeric> where did that unit appear from
    [21:36] <+Dragonkin> They also get giant rats and rat ogres - neither have pack masters, but both have frenzy, and Rat Ogres aren't stupid in this list.
    [21:38] <+Dragonkin> All in all, it's a pretty fluffy list since they have to make a Clan Pestilens list with no non-pestilens stuff in it.
    [21:38] <+Dragonkin> But I really hate the fact that you have to take a special character.
    [21:38] <@Nagathi> hiya, Piotr
    [21:38] * +darkprincess wonders how much beer had to be downed for them to come up with the ogres...
    [21:38] <+Dragonkin> Especially since it's a stupid compound character consisting of Nurglitch, a censer bearer and a monstrous giant rat, all with a single profile.
    [21:38] <+Dragonkin> Hey Iyagd
    [21:38] <+Iyagd> hey
    [21:39] <+Daeric> that does sound stupid
    [21:40] <+Dragonkin> It's also fairly nasty... it has a plague censer, it's immune to plague censers, lore of nurgle, and all skaven magic apart from warp lightning...
    [21:40] <+darkprincess> Daeric: it IS stupid, and I think it might actually affect sales of the new stuff if they can only be used in a restricted way
    [21:40] <+Dragonkin> Oh, and as long as Nurglitch is alive, the entire Skaven army will never lose its frenzy.
    [21:40] <+Daeric> yep stupid
    [21:40] <+darkprincess> oh lovely
    [21:41] <+Daeric> whats wrong?
    [21:41] <+darkprincess> Daeric: sorry, that was a sarcastic comment about the list
    [21:42] <+Dragonkin> Yeah... it could have been done so much better =/
    [21:42] <+Zee> As everything GW's ever done, right?
    [21:42] <+Dragonkin> Nah, they've done the occasional thing right, especially compared to this nonsense.

KU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast