Librarium Online Forums banner

Slaughter at Skull Pass - WHFB 7th Edition

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Dodge 
#1 ·
http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/images/Ey3SfA8.jpg

That is the mock up of the forth coming seventh edition of warhammer fantasy battles. And this is stolen from Warseer...

From Kriegshammer.net, the German page that had the pictures above, we also have a mock-up of the starter box, apparently titled Slaughter at Skull Pass, which confirms amongst other things that the Goblins are indeed one piece and do not come with separate shields or heads.

As you can see, the box will contain the miniatures listed above, a "getting started booklet" for the series of linked scenarios, a smaller version of the rulebook (containing all the rules for the game but no backgrouns, terrain articles, etc.) as well as templates, whippy sticks and so forth.
So, it looks to be a Battle of Macragge type affair with a seperate bigger and single book available afterwards. The little booklet will be invaluable I feel, no flicking through the huge volume to find that basic rule which all know but do not know where from...

KU

#11 ·
I think i may get that box set when its released.

I don't play fantasy at all. I'm purely 40k, but for me that would be the perfect stepping stone to to get me into fantasy.

I mean all i'd have to do is buy that, another regiment of dwarves, a regiment of goblins and the 2 army books and i'm away... hmmm very tempting indeed!

#12 ·
Lets see... If I can get the orks from the old starter box from my bro (maybe by trading him the empire or something) and then get this box, I should have a nice O&G force... Might be fun to have along with TK...

One question: About how many points of O&G come in the box? The last one had about 500 pts, so if this one also has 500 pts then I would have a 1000pt O&G army.

#15 ·
Morden said:
Looks pretty good to me expect the armies to be honest dwarfs will pwn the goblin army no bother unless the dwarf player is really unlucky also i love the new night goblins they look less wacky than the the current ones which is a shame.
As KU said, we don't know what fancy stuff Orcs and Goblins will get yet so don't be too sure about dwarve kicking goblin ass. Though I am still sad to see the new troll, I hope GW keeps the old metal ones.

#16 ·
Vindkall said:
As KU said, we don't know what fancy stuff Orcs and Goblins will get yet so don't be too sure about dwarve kicking goblin ass. Though I am still sad to see the new troll, I hope GW keeps the old metal ones.
Old figures don't die- the just become better than the new ones... I like the new troll, he's ugly without the goofiness that is usually combined with that in GW figures. I've had a good look at those goblins and they're one-piece; sculpted with the shield in place, so I'm guessing limited poses too. Might be a plan to pick up a box of the current goblins to get things going.

#17 ·
The Paint monkey said:
I've had a good look at those goblins and they're one-piece; sculpted with the shield in place, so I'm guessing limited poses too.
Which probably means the Dwarves are the same...why does GW do that? I understand there's a whole "make it easy to get started" line that gets used, but come on, more pieces means a more interesting look. I had been considering getting the box, but now I'm reconsidering it

#19 ·
Why do they do this? Simple. It is for simplicities sake. If you were planning to get into the hobby and your very first thing you get is this, do you wnat to spend an age gluing on legs, arms, shields? Or just clip two peices together and get straight onto the gaming? I know which most go for.

Also not really a step backwards;

5th edition - Two part, single posed models. Just add shield.
6th edition - Two/three part models, mulitple poses. Just add heads/weapons and shields. Only difference being there was a character and a war machine, multiple parts.

GW do understand this. This pack is a great way to get started, clip on two parts and you can create two small armies and have a practice. They have done this for a short while. These models are only for this pack, they will not be the full ordinary army models. Look at the dwarves, our models have just been released and these new ones are alot like them but you just add the weapon. Simple. You people worry and complain way too much.

KU

#20 ·
i'm not complaining... my ultramarine army has the battle for macragge plastic marines in it and they're fine.

I can see myself buying this box set when its released. It looks a great start in to the world of warhammer. I can also see myself building armies of both dwarves and gobbos!!!

#21 ·
King Ulrik Flamebeard said:
Also not really a step backwards;

5th edition - Two part, single posed models. Just add shield.
6th edition - Two/three part models, mulitple poses. Just add heads/weapons and shields. Only difference being there was a character and a war machine, multiple parts.

GW do understand this. This pack is a great way to get started, clip on two parts and you can create two small armies and have a practice. They have done this for a short while. These models are only for this pack, they will not be the full ordinary army models. Look at the dwarves, our models have just been released and these new ones are alot like them but you just add the weapon. Simple. You people worry and complain way too much.

KU
Are you trying to show a progression to complexity here?

I thought the plastics from the last edition were superb and they still stand up now, but these really are a step back from previous editions. Those goblin spearmen from 5th edition were fine- but they had a glue on shield. If these had the same they'd be better cast (none of that flat, detail-less blob that appears behind the shield) and they'd be more rewarding to paint. I'm not really a whiner when it comes to new figures but this is just a little disappointing. This is made particularly so when the Macragge figures were multipart. I don't even mind the lack of variety in poses (my dark elves have the old metal spearmen- 7 different figures, all look the same) but the compromise in quality (and that's what it is) is a bit poor for GW.

#23 ·
I don't understand.

For a beginner boxed game - surely it'd be wiser to have more balanced armies.

They got it wrong once with Brets 'n' Lizardmen both geographically and for new players

Empire and Orcs - it sounds boring but it's more balanced for beginners.

Slow Movement, Low Initiative, No Magic
vs
Cowardly, Animosity Suffering, Unstable Magic

it doesn't seem wise for a beginner box set....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.