10k battles this summer? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x1)

10k battles this summer?

I was talking to some GW employees and they were saying this summer there will be a (I'll say campaign, but I don't know if that's the right word) with 10k battles! Apprently these aren't the "mega-battle" type with multiple players but actual 10k list vs 10k list. I can't imagine too many people have this many models, however, I don't put it past GW for the $$ grab.

R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

That actually kind of goes along with the rumors on the next expansion I read over at WarSeer a while back.

Some of the guys on there were talking about the next 40k expansion (i.e. Cities of Death type of thing- slight modification to existing rules, not a whole new game or whatever) is supposed to be huge scale battles.

I can't remember much about it other than folks were speculating that it would be centered around siege warfare/ fortifications, would probably dumb down some of options for squads to make things play faster, and would possibly revamp the super-heavy rules.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

The supplement is rumoured to be called Apocalypse. It is supposed to be rules for +3k point battles that eclipse the standard force organization charts, as well as super-heavies.

Also rumoured to accompany this release is the much anticipated plastic Baneblade IG super heavy tank. Currently this tank is only available from Forgeworld and is $$$$$$$$$$$.

I believe that the rules for siege warfare are supposed to be coming in one of the two parts to Imperial Armour 5 from Forgeworld. This release compliments the new Death Korps of Krieg IG figures from FW. The other parts of the new IA book will deal with the new chaos forces from FW, rumoured to be an improved LaTD/cultist style army.
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

Too bad it probably wont happen here in South Africa.

But if it does i would love to see the carnage!

Hamba Kakuhle!

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Clown
    Aren't we just the popular boy! Your title should read 'stud muffin of LO'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    The supplement is rumoured to be called Apocalypse. It is supposed to be rules for +3k point battles that eclipse the standard force organization charts, as well as super-heavies.

Also rumoured to accompany this release is the much anticipated plastic Baneblade IG super heavy tank. Currently this tank is only available from Forgeworld and is $$$$$$$$$$$.

I believe that the rules for siege warfare are supposed to be coming in one of the two parts to Imperial Armour 5 from Forgeworld. This release compliments the new Death Korps of Krieg IG figures from FW. The other parts of the new IA book will deal with the new chaos forces from FW, rumoured to be an improved LaTD/cultist style army.
    Siege warfare... Just what my Iron Warriors would LOVE to be involved with... Here's to -1 to enemy defenses when attacking and Fearless when defending! :w00t:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

I hope this won't happen really. You want big battles? Play Epic. It's made for it. It's just GW that want more money and doesn't want to bother bringing back the awsome SG-games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post

I think this is a great idea even if it just updates the force organization. It is almost impossible to keep force organization in a 2500+ battle, yet at the same time you dont want to simply double the normal organization.
    If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you set a man on fire he will be warm the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Spanko View Post
    I think this is a great idea even if it just updates the force organization. It is almost impossible to keep force organization in a 2500+ battle, yet at the same time you dont want to simply double the normal organization.
    I thought that's the "unwritten" rule right now in large battles. Simply put, you have 2 "companies" or whatever you want to call them, each with their own force org chart. Basically, it would double the force org chart which shouldn't be an issue at very large points.

I can say this, I will not put a 10k force on the table. It's expensive to get up too 2000/2500 pts and I will not quadruple that cost (and all the assembly/painting... 4x 9 oblits... no thanks). Are we all supposed to have $1000+ armies? I don't think so...

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoal07 View Post
    I thought that's the "unwritten" rule right now in large battles. Simply put, you have 2 "companies" or whatever you want to call them, each with their own force org chart. Basically, it would double the force org chart which shouldn't be an issue at very large points.

I can say this, I will not put a 10k force on the table. It's expensive to get up too 2000/2500 pts and I will not quadruple that cost (and all the assembly/painting... 4x 9 oblits... no thanks). Are we all supposed to have $1000+ armies? I don't think so...
    My best guess would be that the 10k point battles will be DEMO battles done at GW stores and favored independents. It really isn't that hard to get to +3k points (especially if you are adding a super heavy to your army).

AND, much like the Cities of Death rules, they are situation specific, NOT permanent changes to the BGB. So, really, it's the best of all worlds. For those like the Camel, who don't want to play big games, no problem, the main rules don't change at all, for those that wanna see big tanks rolling over infantry, 'eres your book.

The problem with simply doubling a standard FOC is you end up with (in the case of the IG) duplication in the HQ section (ie TWO command platoons). Or the possibility exists for a SM player to field 4 chaplains!!!!

In reality, there should be either an extra tier of HQ, or some limitation on duplication of hq units.
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Yeah, that's what's cool about this expansion idea- you don't have to play it if you don't want to.

I personally would be down. As Artificier mentioned, add in a super-heavy and you'd be surprised how little you need in addition to a standard 1,850 list to get above 3k.

Hell, if I actually painted the rest of the SM stuff I have lying around I'd be above 2k for sure, most likely in the neighborhood of 2,500.

I think it'd be fun to play a huge all-day game every once in awhile. I've got some friends who've been playing since '93 and I know they'd have no problem getting above 3k if they're not already.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast