Empire Army Book is out! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Empire Army Book is out!

Not too sure if this is the right forum, I'm still getting the hang of this site, but here goes.

The Emprie Army Book came out toady in Australia nad New Zealand, this is all I'll say without posting up rules and everything.

Lords
    Quite a few Special Characters. Karl Franz, Kurt Helborg, Volkmar the Grim, Belthasar Gelt, Luthor Huss and Ludwig Schwarzerhelm (not sure if that's how you spell it, my -very limited- knowldege of German instigated that guess). Huss and Ludwig are Heroes (woot! huzzah!) Ludwig is a very good fighter and a great bodyguard (the have specail rules to represent it), Kurt Helborg is a geat General as well as a fighter. However, if you want an excellent allrounder, ti appears that Karl Franz is a safe bet. Volkmar will be an interesting model to use by the looks of things. Arch Lectors don't appear too bad, but thier statline is very similar to the Warrior Priest, I'll just be using them.

Heroes
    The Master Engineer will be a colourful character to use by the looks of things. The Mechanical Steed and Pigeon bombs will probably be used a fair bit, even if just for the novelty. The Warrior Priests have been given an extra Prayer and the Battle Wzard's recieved no change except for an increase in points. Not as interesting as the Lords.

Core
    Well, we can now challenge the Orcs for a horde army. Our State Troops are now cheaper, and we won't be affected by Animosity (yet ). White Wolves won't be near as good as teh last Edition, now counting as having Great Weapons. As teh Rumours said, Inner Circle Knights will now become Special Choices. There's now a special rule to represent the fact that our standard grunts are State Troops, just wait until you see it.

Special
    No change here whatsoever for Greatswords, the Great Cannon and the Mortar. Pistoliers lose their Fussilade rule and ca now get Musicians. Outriders will be an interesting unit to use now, with Repeater Handguns.

Rare
    I don't think the helbaster will be used too much now. Though it loses the difference between Long Range and Short Range (all shots will be 3 Artilelry D6, etc), you now have to roll to hit, and on a Misfire, there's a 1/3 chance of it being Destroyed (ie, if you roll a 1 or a 6). The Hellstorm Rocket Battery will be a lot of fun to use. Consider this to be a Cannon combined with a Mortar but the Blast has S5. Flagellants will now be more colourful also. The Martyr rules are true to the Rumours, so they'll be fun to use. Finally, we now have one big Steam tank. The rules are 2 pages long (instead of 4-5) and it has a bigger Statline (more than just Strength). rare units will be hard to choose from now.

I hope no-one else has posted this yet (I spent a long time writing this) and that I'm in the right forum.

Any questions about the Book?

archonfarseerguy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Ah, that's sweet ^__^
    The new Empire models do look pretty sweet and I was thinking about buying a box of state troops and maybe a warrior priest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I read through the book earlier today, and in all honesty it set off a lot of my "WTF" alarms. On paper, a lot of things looked wicked powerful, but I will try my best to hold back any screams of cheese until I actually play against them.

Overall I felt as if the empire are being given a lot of things that aren't native to them, or are traditionally a trademark of a different army. For example, giving empire characters a pegasus to ride really bothers me. The archlector has access to a crazy chariot, complete with a ward save, bound spell abilities, (hope I'm not going into too much detail), and impressive stats. Combine that with his ability to make himself unbreakable... and T_T.

All empire troops melee troops cost less now, which I suppose is a decent fix, but still bugs me a bit. Outriders look interesting. They have the ranged power of 3 handgunners in one, are slightly more durable, but are obviously easier to knock down to a few models.

Greatswords are much cheaper now, but appear the same otherwise. Pistoliers are a tidbit cheaper, but lose the fusillade rule. The new rocket pack thingy looks pretty interesting, and the steam tank appears much more balanced now. In the past it was extremely difficult for armies without abundant S7 weapons to touch the things. Now it looks like most armies will be able to deal with it, and it will still be a potent threat on the table.

The changes to the armory bug me. I know that it seems to be the trend lately to cut down the prices for the common magic items... but wow. Sword of striking for half price? Sword of attack/battle for the same? Staff of sorcery and power stones down a significant amount as well. I don't recall all the specifics of the rest of the armory, but I do have to say some of the arcane items look crazy.

Anyway, so yeah on paper they appeared very powerful to me, but I'll try not to really condemn them until I play against them a few times.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I know hwta you mean there. However, the Empire has no uber-powerful warriors to call on. Orcs have Black Orcs, Wood Elves have Tree Kin, Wardancers etc, Lizardmen have Kroxigors etc etc. The Empire are just men, so they need some big advantages.

Also, they're affecting Characters, which don't tend to do a massive amount of stuff. That said, I think they're a bit overpowered as well. Overpowered, but not game unbalancing. Also, they've weakened a few things as well, like the Helblaster.

Conclusively, this new Empire Army should be fun to use.

archonfarseerguy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

The Empire DOES have powerful units to fall back on... Just look at the steam tank.
    Also, weakening some units doesn't really fix the fact that another unit is broken. All that does is reduce the odds that the nerfed unit will be used in favour of the new and overpowered one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I dunno. The idea of empire characters flying around on winged horses and monstrous chariots just really doesn't have the same feel to it. Pegasi are very brettonian and druchii. I just really don't think it fits with the Empire army.

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Hate to spoil the mood but does anybody know whats slated for the rest of the year? I wanna see all these armies revamped to be on the same power curve again. I dont like my one friends insane anvil of doom, and now I dont think I like my friends flagellents or well... never liked his warmachines but still =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just cant believe they gave the empire dragons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Nah only one dragon, and only if you take Karl Franz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an individual monster or as a mount. If mount why? Did Deathclaw die?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast