Terrain for a Necron Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrain for a Necron Army

Hi,
    I was wondering what your thoughts on a good looking Necron terrain. I personally prefer darker coloured terrains, but I love my Raven Guard (my secondary army) and their snow terrain. Would Necrons looks good on a snow terrain or a what-I-would-call a Charred Desert (ie: standard sorta desert look but with blacks and greys as if it were to of been set alight recently).
    Please give me your opinions on any good looking terrains you have seen for either Necrons or any of race.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    229 (x4)

Sup Mickem.

Necron Tomb worlds can be anything you want From arid frozen tundras with snow, to Black scorched sand desert. Even swampland with overgrowth.

The way I usually work on terrain for my tables, is I make them match the bases of my army.
    The scenery shouldn't necessarily camoflauge the army, but I prefer my army to stand out.

i.e. metal colored, dark tin bits style necrons, on bright desert scenery. or
    Ceramic necrons, bone colored on blackend scorched desert. or
    Red tinted metallic necron with red rods in their gauss weapons, on bluee ruins, with blue stone.

The necrons don't worry too much about camo, so they could care less what the environment looks like.

as for your question, my opinions on good necron terrain range from anything, as long as the models and their environments match. (no snow bases without putting some snow on the necrons, or Swamp bases without hanging bits of swamp goo off the Necrons)

summary- base your necrons, then match the scenery with your bases.
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post
    Sup Mickem.

Necron Tomb worlds can be anything you want From arid frozen tundras with snow, to Black scorched sand desert. Even swampland with overgrowth.

The way I usually work on terrain for my tables, is I make them match the bases of my army.
    The scenery shouldn't necessarily camoflauge the army, but I prefer my army to stand out.

i.e. metal colored, dark tin bits style necrons, on bright desert scenery. or
    Ceramic necrons, bone colored on blackend scorched desert. or
    Red tinted metallic necron with red rods in their gauss weapons, on bluee ruins, with blue stone.

The necrons don't worry too much about camo, so they could care less what the environment looks like.

as for your question, my opinions on good necron terrain range from anything, as long as the models and their environments match. (no snow bases without putting some snow on the necrons, or Swamp bases without hanging bits of swamp goo off the Necrons)

summary- base your necrons, then match the scenery with your bases.
    Good advice alround. I often also think about the planet the bases are on. So do humans life there? is it all desrted or just this area etc. Might give you some ideas for bits and bobs on the bases.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Man

It can look like what you want
    but if you are looking for ideas .... here is a link I found

Necron Terrain

Have fun with it
    Sisters Of Battle "Order of the Holy Flame"
    Nids "Splinter Fleet Bestia"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Heres a picture of a necron pyramid I've made ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post

Snow bases without putting some snow on the necrons, or Swamp bases without hanging bits of swamp goo off the Necrons.
    How would u suggest I apply snow to the necrons themselves? Could you suggest anything on that? I was thinking originally on whatever terrain/environment I did i would match the bases. But my army would stay with their scheme and the gaming terrain (obelisk, monoliths etc) would have the snow or whatever applied over them. Im not sure how I could apply snow to my characters and make it look good and not bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickem View Post
    How would u suggest I apply snow to the necrons themselves? Could you suggest anything on that? I was thinking originally on whatever terrain/environment I did i would match the bases. But my army would stay with their scheme and the gaming terrain (obelisk, monoliths etc) would have the snow or whatever applied over them. Im not sure how I could apply snow to my characters and make it look good and not bad
    Easy work!! U assemble and paint the model allright. Then with a bit of patience you place some glue on the mini on random parts: shoulders, head,...parts where snow would hold on the the body. Then put the snow on to these glued places. Wait patiently and Job done. You can do this also with green grass for example to simulate moss stuck over your necron while it slept over thousands of years.

Citadel has snow but I prefer traditional model snow used in train modles and so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

I like the style of your model very much. It just got me thinking, would the necrons have temples? I think they would more likely have workshops, perhaps not recognizable as workshops to us but none the less.

I don't know

It's just that somehow the entire mindset of Necrons seems to be against temples and arcane business like that.
    Last edited by Zema; October 15th, 2008 at 11:58.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been told to make a base "snow mixture" to use baking soda, pva glue and water. I was wondering if using say a mix of white paint with pva glue then sprinkling/putting citadel snow flock over the top?
    I have an excess of "Green Stuff" aswell to use up. Can anybody suggest additional items i can make with that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

WEll if you have citadel snow on you then you can just apply that stuff right onto the the pva glue. If you're looking to apply snow onto the warriors themselves then I would suggest Snowtex. Its an amazing product for making snow effects. Just apply and let dry, it retains its texture and lasts along time on models with out falling off.

Another thing you could do with the green stuff i guess is make some of the green crystals you always see with the 'cons, but instead of painting them green paint them blue and place them all around on the ground. Also glossy varnishes give the effect of melting snow and can be used on top of dried pva glue to make icy effects.

Check out the city objectives link in the link in my sig, it has a bit on making snow effects you might fin useful.