Pete's Overgrown City - Page 3 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

A thick application of green flock over the walls and ground once you've painted up the rubble should do well for representing moss, mold, another assorted low level plant life which would be the first things to overrun an abandoned building. Then adding static grass in to open areas where the ground has been broken up will provide more detail. Maybe real small leafty aquatic plants for a kudzu-like appearance, though you have to do something to make it look less blatantly fake and plastic. You don't even necessarily need that many trees to do most of the smaller terrain pieces, and could be more sparing with them (also saves cash). Really depends on just how long you want your city to have been abandoned, and also what the climate is like. A typical habitable world would require somewhere around a decade or more before the trees really start getting good-sized. Less time for a death world-styled environment. If you're going with something like that ruined temple look then obviously you'll want the completely overgrown look, in which case the city won't be much more than rubble. I personally like the "abandoned for a few years" look where the city still has a definite urban look, but nature is just starting to get a real foothold in reclaiming it. I think that's the best area to aim for, to really get the most milage out of both feels (urban and wilderness) that you're playing with.

Just my opinion though. Great project, its making me think of having a go at making a building like that.

"I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

That piece of beautiful.
    Is there a way of subscribing so that only the thread starters posts will email you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

It looks great, I love it. A really good idea. You know, it reminds me of the map 'Bloc' on Call of Duty 4, if you've ever played it.

Top stuff!
    *subscribed* ^__^

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Nice work will look amazing when done its made me want to get on with my own board!
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I'll certainly be subscribing to this one! I love what you've done so far, and it looks like it's going to be an amazing board when it's finished! Just wish I had the time, space and skill to make myself one like this...

Great stuff!
    Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a good idea, very promising.

By the way, I love the way you based your sentinal.

Subscribed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

The most recent White Dwarf (covering the upcoming Imperial Guard codex) features a trio of battle reports, one of which might be of interest to Pete. It features a very nice looking jungle board, with a large centerpiece ruined building. Its constructed mostly from Cities of Death pieces, but is ruined ans is being reclaimed by the jungle. Very nice vines (look similar to garland) and some leafy jungle trees taking over. Real good inspirational material.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x4)

I'll have to take a look at that.

Thanks for the continued interest. I actually just finished priming it (oy my back!) so expect some paint in the next couple days. I'll at least get my browns and greys down for an update.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x4)

Got most of my base painting done. I'll be washing all the stone with oils so they'll brown it up a bit. After that it's going to be a lot of work getting all the foliage in there. I've got flock for mossy stuff, then static grass, then clump foliage for the trees and bushes.

I've also whipped up some propaganda posters to adorn the walls. I'll be doing the damage and wear to the actual prints as opposed to doing that in photoshop. I'm going to try out some old graffiti when I get to the detail painting as well. See how it looks. I just ran these through a sloppy Latin translator online. I don't really care about the random english words as you can't really seem them on the scaled size. They'll be printed at about .25" x .5"

From left to right I've got "Keep Calm and Carry On" which is a pretty notable WW2 poster. Something about joining your local Planetary Defence regiment to protect your homes. A random quote from the book as kind of a filler one. "Keep our Guns Firing" inspired by old war bonds posters. And lastly "All Xeno activity must be reported." I'll probably make some more if I feel like it, but that's enough variety for now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Great work so far! The building looks really good, and I like how the tree is growing out through the window. Also the posters you have made are amazing! We are thinking of making some scenery for Necromunda, and I might have to steal your posters to put on there! Great stuff!