Premade vs scratch built terrain? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you buy or make your terrain?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy it pre-made, it's easier!

14 14.29%
  • Make it myself, weeee

39 39.80%
  • Depends...

45 45.92%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Premade vs scratch built terrain?

Hey all, I was just wondering what most people used in their gaming set ups. Do you buy all your terrain bits pre-made, or do you make your own?

I for one enjoy making my own, and find it to be one of my favourite parts of the hobby

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

I make my own because some of the stuff out there doesn't look as orky as I want it. everyone has a different idea of how ork stuff should look in the finer details and I prefer mine.

Ialso enjoy making terrain, its mthe best parts of this whole game is making big pieces for a table that really bring it all together.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think it varies depending on what you're doing. I find that ready made terrain can be used to make your own terrain. The ready made stuff is a useful resource. However I think that ready made stuff alone can be rather bland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I have to agree with Leech on this one.

I love making terrain pieces and am currently working on quiet a few. I feel that the premade or kitset terrain that is available forms a good basis for the terrain. I have several of the gw kits and I am working to convert them to suit my armies or even jst my mood, this can be as simple as adding extra icons to the terrain or alot more indepth.

anyway just my thoughts.

Regards

Blacknight/Marc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

I make my own because Im cheap and I enjoy designing and building (but not painting so much) but it does take a lot if time.
    I do think that the pre made stuff can be a little bit boring, but it is quick to build so if time is an issue then its the obvious choice. It really looks great when you combine it with scratch built sections, apparently "The Battle for Salvation" had some great tables that did this.

Bugbait out

Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

I make my own as then it's exactly how I want it, although the gw models are a good starting point.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I do a mix of both - occasionally I will buy bits of pre-built like the Bastions (especially if people will chip in for them), but I also obsessively collect bits of polystyrene, plastic or metal that would make a nice piece of scenery. Funnily enough most of both types are currently sat in my cupboard waiting for me to work on them, as I don't seem to have the time I would like to do it... hell it's taken me 2 years to start painting my realm of battle board!
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It edepends on the situation, really.
    I buy ready made trees because I am horrible at making those myself.
    I also buy certain features like statues as they are too fiddly and beyond my reach to create.
    Big generic buildings I make myself, such as Imperial ruins. At other times, I'll buy ones, like that tower for the Empire in WHFB.

However, I find that buildings that are special, such as Witchfate Tor or Temple of Skulls are beyond my scope. Not only do they cost a lot but they're also of such quality that I always feel that I ruin them with my limited painting skills.
    Last edited by ISwearImHim; December 1st, 2010 at 15:42.
    Okay, so now I have no signature. Great.

Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

Buying is good for somethings but I usually make it.
    Last edited by bliss-giver; December 29th, 2010 at 14:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

I have some premade, but thats purely for ease, like microwave meals. Premade has its uses but personally I'd never ever see it as better or as good as home made. I miss the days when WD was full of individual pieces of modelling art, not just beautifully painted kit bashes.