Skaven 2k help needed from all other clans - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skaven 2k help needed from all other clans

Hi all, im relatively new to skaven, jus started on fantasy 3 days ago, and i came up with this list, can anyone tell me if it works, any possible weaknesses, etc...

Grey Seer
    +screaming bell
    +eye of the horned rat
    460 pts

30clanrats
    +standard bearer
    160 pts

30clanrats
    +standard bearer
    160 pts

30 Giant rats+ 5 packmaster
    150 pts

30 Stormvermin
    +standard bearer
    +Banner of the swarm
    270 pts

30 Nightrunners
    150 pts

30 Nightrunners
    150 pts

500pts remaining, 3 options

Option A
    10 rat ogres + 10 packmasters
    500 pts

Option B
    Warp lightning cannon
    100 pts

20 warplock jezzails
    400 pts

500pts

Option C
    10 Gutterrunners
    +tunnelling teams
    150pts

10 Gutterrunners
    +tunnelling teams
    150pts

10 warplock jezzails
    200pts

500 pts

So does anyone have any advice?
    The nightrunners are intended to protect my flank
    The stormvermin is intended to stay back and aid any losing battle, and the grey seer is in the ranks of the stormvermin to cast spells and stay protected. The giant rats can tye up enemy units and the packmaster can use their whips.

Option A is to drive a wedge in the enemy to kill any threatening units
    Option B is to simply lay back and open fire
    Option C is to play it a little more tactical- tunnel behind enemies... and the warplock jezzails are to lay back and shoot

So, which option should i choose and is there any edits i should perform on my army?
    Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK so your a newby. First of all Skaven's strength lies in their ability to outnumber the opponent. That mean our static CR (Combat Resolution) is very high and for every 5 models we lose and they lose one thats OK! Your units are expendable and always laugh when they die because it brings a false hope to you enemy. There's jsut too many of us.

Add musician to your Clanrat Units. YOur Clanny unit has a static CR of 5 (3 for ranks, 1 for outnumber and 1 for a std bearer) now if somehow someone draws you want that musician and it only costs 5 points, well worth it.

Stormvermin arent worth the points. Here's why. You pay three points for 1 extra weapons skill (you almost alwas hit on a 4+ anyway, stormvermin are not different!!). They have 1 more Strength, but in a unit of 30 stormvermin, you could have had 48 clanrats, al lot more lasting power. Skaven aren't renowned for fighting and neve will be, we jsut dont have the units. We outnumber our opponents and clanrats are best at that, stormvermin less so. Take a Chieftain to get yourextra banner (warbanner instead of banenrof the swarm gives you a certain +1) and also gives you the rerollable break test within 12". Equipping them with shields makes them tough but it costs points making them LESS worth their points. Rather take two more units of clanrats and slaverats(see herafter).

Now Slaverats i see you have chosen not to put in your army. There is not a skaven army without slaverats. Well i guess you can make one, but there hasn't been a successfull one. You use them to bait your enemies into charging, if you win thats awesome tell me about it, but then they win and overrun, you must make shure you are not RIGHT behind your slaves. They charge through (overrun 2d6 or so) and you must then make shure you aren't within range and charge them next turn. The side charging into combat hs a big advantage because they hit first. Slaves can also tie up his units. A big 300 pt unit can struggle for 2 rounds beating slaverats and that means you made him inefficient in your opponents army. They can also flank and negate ranks. There are many other uses for slaverats such as jumping wit ha plague spell and screening etc. but i'll leave that to you to discover.

It is recommended to use Giant rats as flankers because of their movement 6. For the rest they are exactly like clanrats, but they don't get the advantageof a std bearer or musician. So just use them to flank, they can negate ranks and the M6 will make shure you get around your enemy. I'd advise then keeping them to 3 or maybe 4(maximum) packs per unit.

Play nightrunners in squads of 5 or 6 with addisional hand weapons. Also to tie up enemy units. Or to go behind and net fleeing units. They are ineffective in large number because they are skirmishers and do not get ranks or standard bearers.

Poison Wind Globadiers are very usefull. Play them in units of 2 or 4 to bait the enemy into charging them. But their main use is at placing. You place your 2 t o4 units of 2 PWG's and place maybe 80 points while your enemy has placed 800 pts worth. Plus BS 3 and thrown weapons mean you'll hit and wound on 4+ always, except against nurgle. Very good against knights and steam tanks, or anything with high toughness or an armour save.

Rat ogres are seldom worth the points. The don't get ranks and if you have more than 3 in a unit most of them will never see combat = wasted points. rather take the points spent there and make a Plague monk unit with Addisional hand weapons and a Bannerof Burning Hatred. Giving you 3 attacks per monk rerollable hits in first round of combat. Allot more effective for anvils(with musicians and standard) and hammers/flankers. Rat Ogres are also very susceptable to shooting and should never charge alone!!! They must side or rear charge after the enemy unit has beenengaged or they will lose combat.

It is wise to play rattling guns. Play 1 or two attached to your clanrat units. Play Jezzails in units of 5 or 9. That causes the enemy to either kill 2 or 1 to make them panic. I advise three units of 5 for extra versatility. You won't need more than that.

Also a few pointers... 2 units of Clanrats in a 2k game is not enough. Play 3 units of 30 clanrats (kitted wit hstandards and musicians) and 3 units of 20 slaves (4 units of each is even better). Slaves bait and fight in front. Clanrats wait for the charge. Giant rats on the side flank. Rattling guns shoot inbetween at the enemy or into you slaverats, hehe. Jezzails sit back and take out knights/monsters.

I also notice you only have one character. Although the Grey seer is awesome, and play him by all means, you need to protect him since peopel can shoot him off of the bell from anywhere. Give him the tenebrous cloak, 3+ ward save vs missiles(even a 1 on a warp lightning roll of 1!). the EotHR is a good item and a warpstone charm in case he miscasts.
    I'd advise you to play at least 2 more Heroes. Warlock egnineers and a chieftain are your most common choices.

I'd recommend taking 2 Warlock engineers, kitted with everything but the pistol, which means you can cast the 9+ Warp Lightning every turn with three dice (2 of their own and one pool dice). One with a storm daemon and dispellscroll, the other with jsut a dispell scroll and a chieftain Battle Standard Bearer with a Warbanner. Place the chieftain in the rear rank of your screaming bell unit andthen that unit has a static CR of 7!!3ranks +1std bearer +1outnumber +1BSB +1Warbanner!!!

Your list is ok, its just not focussing on skaven strengths. Take the time to read through the tactica described in the book and on the internet. It really does help, as well as lookat other people's army lists to see what worked and what didn't work so you don't repeat their mistakes Good luck and as soon as you play be sure to post some Battle Reports, would love to hear how it went down!!!

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. June 10th, 2008, 00:49