<3000 Clan Skreek warmongers. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Clan Skreek warmongers.

I'm new to Skaven and try to make a working army using skaven components from two Island of Blood boxes as a base. Advice and comments welcome.

Fluff:
    This is Clan Skreeks Warmongers. They're a relatively small clan with ties to Clan Moulder, Clan Eshin and Clan Skryre. For now that is... Everything can change, and loyalties change very fast. Clan Pestilens are considered far too single-minded to do business with.
    All Skaven that show any martial prowess are placed in the Stormvermin unit. Therefore no unit have any champions.
    Clan Skreek are expert thieves, even by Skaven standard, and will steal anything they can come across. So they are fairly well equipped for being such a small Clan. Many believe they are under the tutilage of the agents of Clan Eshin. True or not Clan Skreeks thievery is much appreciated by the Warlock Engineers who willingly join their ranks for the promise of good stuff.
    This small a Clan has not yet been blessed with the prescense of a Grey Seer and rely on the Warlock Engineers for magic powers. The Warlocks of Clan Skryre knows this and work fervently to undermine the influence of the Grey Seers in their contact with Clan Skreek so that they may continue their prosperous work with their private army of long fingered thieves.

Real List now in post nr.13 Very Skaven indeed.

Last edited by Mr_Wayne; January 5th, 2011 at 18:27.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

Made the list a little easier to read, changed the characters a little and made some fluff.
    Also removed the champions from the Clanrats and gave the Fangleader Poisoned attacks. Good?
    I even gave the Master Moulder a Things-catcher and gave the Gutter Runners Poisoned Attacks. I've heard it's golden.

All I need now is:
    2 Boxes of Clanrats
    1 Box of Stormvermin
    1 Box of Night Runners to be used as Gutter Runners
    1 Doomwheel

As for tactics the large unit of Slaves act like an anchor in the middle and the three 25-strong units of Clanrats tie up enemy infantry or soak up cavalry where the Warlock Engineers can do some serious damage. The slaves are accompanied by the BSB with the Banner of the Under Empire. The plan is to force an extreme amount of S2 hits that will eventually down anything. The Stormvermin dispatches large formations of normal infantry. Doomwheel and Rat Ogres take to the flanks and roll up the lines. the Gutter runners stop stuff that disrupts plans like dark Riders, Ellyrian Reavers, Marauder Horsemen etc.

I reckon I got more units than the opponent, so I can place my Gutter Runners, Rat Ogres and Doom wheel where I want them.

It's just a rough sketch...

So... list good or what?
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; September 11th, 2010 at 02:23.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Looks good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

Made a second list based on the purchase of a second IoB box in which I switch all high elves for more skaven.
    It will be cheaper than buying all those boxes of infantry, rat ogres and doomwheel.
    I removed the Doomwheel, added 4 more Rat Ogres. Turned Clanrats into Slaves and increased Clanrats numbers. Gave Slaves Spears so they can fight in 4 ranks.

[List in later post]

With this list I only need:
    1 IoB box
    1 Stormvermin box
    1 Night Runners box

Is it better to run 2 Doomwheels instead of 1 Stormvermin unit with Stormbanner?
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; September 17th, 2010 at 20:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

It still looks good But u have 30 points left. Maybe add 1-3 gutter runners.

I'm not a big fan of stormvermin but i do love the models

2 Big pairs of hamsterwheels isn't bad at all. If u really want the storm banner u can choose for it to take a unit of 10 stormvermin with stormbanner, 1 hamsterwheel and still have some points left for your choiceMaybe some poisoned wind globadiers for the clan skryre effect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

Updated list nr. 2 a bit. i removed 1 gutter runner from each unit, added a third unit of 5 gutter runners and removed 2 packmasters to afford them. I'm at 2252 pts right now. 2 pts over limit.

Still, the question of Stormvermin VS Doomwheels remain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get both Stormvermin and 2 doomwheels, so you can tailor to your opponant. Dark Elves show up with 2 war hydras then you take 2 doomwheels. No big gribblies in the army then just take your Stormvermin. And the storm Banner isn't any use if the army your facing isn't a gunline like dwarves, High elves or empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't the BSB only 95 pts?
    45 for the model, 25 for the SB upgrade and 25 pts for the banner?
    "I'll have a steak and donut sandwich"
    "Do you want cigarettes on that?"
    "What do I look like? A Mary? Of course I want cigarettes!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

If you have to choose i go with the doomwheel, more fun and way better for it's points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

good points from all.
    i decided to remove the stormvermin. They are not all that good and wont be able to take on any real elite units from other races anyway.
    So I removed the stormvermin and added two doomwheels. So now I have 6 Warlock Engineers (2 sitting in Doomwheels) which really suits my fluff.
    And KingSilly is right. My BSB is just 95 pts. Rep for that.

The list looks pretty scary:

Warlord Skreek Poisonstorm; Obsidian Lodestone, Gamblers Armour, Potion of Speed, Additional hand Weapon, Tail weapon, Poisoned attacks. [186 pts]

Chieftain Qreat Kin-Eater; BSB, Banner of the Under-Empire. [95 pts]
    Warlock Engineer nr.1; Level 2 Wizard, Warplock pistol, Warp-Energy Condenser. [128 pts]
    Warlock Engineer nr.2; Level 2 Wizard, Warplock pistol, Warpstone Token [123 pts]
    Warlock Engineer nr.3; Level 1 Wizard, Warplock pistol, Warlock Optics. [93 pts]
    Warlock Engineer nr.4; Warplock pistol, Skavenbrew. [73 pts]

Clanrats x 29+2; (5 front, 6 deep), Musician, Standard Bearer, Spears, Shields, Warpfire Thrower. [197 pts]
    Clanrats x 29+2; (5 front, 6 deep), Musician, Standard Bearer, Spears, Shields, Warpfire Thrower. [197 pts]
    Slaves x 49; (10 front, 5 deep) Musician, Shields. [122½ pts]
    Slaves x 49; (10 front, 5 deep) Musician, Shields. [122½ pts]

Rat Ogres x 7; 1 Packmaster. [288 pts]
    Gutter Runners x 6 ; Slings, poison. [108 pts]

Doomwheel [150 pts]
    Doomwheel [150 pts]

Grand Total:
    2249 pts

All in all the army is slightly faster than most other armies, save for elves and all cavalry armies, with their movement of 5. So I'm going to use my large units of slaves in the middle to anchor the army. The Clanrats semilarge units go on one flank (if one is more open terrain-wise) to impair advancements and the Doomwheels and Rat Ogres go on the other flank (preferably the one with lots of terrain if there is any) and will mow down anything in their path. Should some cavalry try to break out of this bag of death the Gutter Runners will be in the way throwing some poisoned stones at them.

I've got 5 magic levels in the army, so I'm confident I'll get the spells I want. Should any character be in a tight spot I just use Skitterleap and jump him into a safe unit. My Warlord with Lodestone will go with the Rat Ogres to protect them against magic and the BSB will go with one of the slave-units and then jump ship when things get too interresting using Skitterleap.

I have no clue as to how effective my Warlock Engineers are considering their kits, but some shooting won't hurt. Their main tasks will be wizardry and boosting Slave units with Skavenbrew. Death Frenzy will go on anything in combat, most preferably on Rat Ogres because the entire unit is Frenzied and they figth with their full amount of attacks in two ranks - that's a total of 42 attacks.

Slaves = Skavenslaves + BSB + Warlock Engineer nr.3
    Slaves = Skavenslaves + Warlock Engineer nr.4
    Top Clanrats = Skaven Clanrats + Warlock Engineer nr.1
    Bottom Clanrats = Skaven Clanrats + Warlock Engineer nr.2
    Rat Ogres = Rat Ogres + Warlord
    DW = Doomwheels
    G R = Gutter Runners

This sketch is just a rough idea of how unit placement is. Of course no plan survives contact with the enemy. but Slaves go in the middle to tie aggressive elements. Clanrats shut down one flank and the hitters (Rat Ogres and Doomwheels) go on the other flank. Gutter Runners take care of distractions, outbreaking cavalry and war machines. They might even infiltrate from the opponents table edge if no obvious targets present themselves during deployment. Having more units than the opponent is great.
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; September 19th, 2010 at 15:50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast