<1000 Skaven Invasion Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skaven Invasion Help!

Hi all! I am just starting skaven and this will be my second game with them. So the game we are playing is a 3000pt (split 2 ways) invasion scenario. Pretty much what is in the book. I am an attacker w/ Skaven, my ally uses all Gobbos. Defenders are Empire and Wood Elves.

Now really this game is trying some units out. So far this is what I have:

Warlord- Equipment unknown...advice?

Chieftan BSB- Ench. Shield

Chieftan- Equipment unkown...advice?

2x Warlock Engineers- (naked for the slaves)

40 slaves- spears, shields, musc 122

40 slaves- spears, shields, musc 122
    (reason behind these are the first game my slaves lasted till turn 6 and with 1 rat left finished off the gobbo big boss on wolf and that was naked, so i want to see if they can be my mainstay ...)

35 clanrats- FC, shields 177.5

(2x) 3x Jezzails 120

(2x) 2x Rat Ogres, 1 Packmaster 176

Doomwheel- 150

Warp Lightning Cannon- 90

So that is the main of my army. Now I was wondering what I should round out my army with? Gutter Runners? more artillery? More rats? Stormvermin?

FYI we are going no magic this game as everytime i've taken it in 8th i end up rolling a 2-4 and blowing up min 9 guys and killing my mage...on a good day.

Thanks!

Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gutter Runners! A unit of 10 with slings and poisoned attacks will tear through any artillery the empire player may bring, not to mention harass and annoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gutter Runners

Just curious but why would I go for slings if they already have stars? Also Does anyone switch out for snare nets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slings have three times the range of stars, plus multiple shots. The more dice you throw the bigger chance you have of rolling sixes, which auto wound with poison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help! Sadly things have changed so of course has my list:

Warlord - 4+ Ward, +2 Atk, Shield
    Chieftan - BSB, Ench. Shield

(2x) 35x Clanrats - FC, Spears, Shields
    40x Slaves - Musc, Shields
    30x Stormvermin - Shields, Storm Banner

(2x) 2x Rat Ogres - 2x Packmasters

Now my question is should i fill it out with A) A Hell Pit Abomb? or 40x Slaves- Musc, Shields and a Doomwheel?

What are your thoughts? Remember I am playing an Empire so he will be taking artillery. Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

1. Wards have gotten expensive in 8th ( in my opinion ), and are more useful for lists which can't bring truckloads of "fonder" to the field. So, in the case of skaven, go for the "bodies" with some specialized choices.

2. I prefer my general to have the best protection that I can afford, since I love challenges. In addition to his standard equippent, I'll give him the Enchanted Shield and a weapon to increase his strength. For the game you'll be in, I'd suggest the Ogre Blade or just give him the Sword Of Might if tight on points.

3. My BSB has the Warpstone Armor and a halberd, as I count on the large pack of bodies he's amongst to protect him.

4. As for the packs themselves, I stay at 25 models of ease of moving around the board. Large blocks of troops sounds great, but if put on the board with lots of terrain pieces your packs will just block one another from moving. Packs that I don't follow this rule for are skavenslaves, specialized choices, and packs pushing the bell/furnace.
    For your recent list, I'd go with two packs of 24 clanrats as the added character would make a pack 25 models strong. The warlord's pack with shields, and the BSB's pack with spears/shields. Both packs will have a full command. I'd also suggest weapon teams to be attached. My spear/shield pack(s) have the warpfire thrower, while my shield pack has the poisoned wind mortar.

5. As for the skavenslaves, packs of 25 to 30 is what I go for. The only upgrade, if any, would be a musicain. Anything else is points which could have been used somewhere else in the list.

6. As for the stormvermin, they're expensive yet good, so I always go 20 to 25 models strong ( minus one from the count if adding a character to the pack ). Always a musician and a standard bearer with the Storm Banner ( if games points allow ). If you have the points, a fangleader with a tail weapon and/or poisoned weapons for a nice ( and interesting ) surprise. Never forget their shields.

7. A pack of 2 rat ogres and packmaster, flanking the "general's" pack, is all I use. If you can spare the points, make it 3 rat ogres. The packmaster should always have his whip, so he can attack through the rat ogres. You could always use a pack of giant rats, say 15 to start, with a packmaster to soak up incoming missile fire.

8. With your remaining points, before adding to existing choices, I'd suggest the warp lightning cannon to deal with knights. I'd move to a pack of at least 4 warplock jezzails or a pack of gutter runners with slings and poisoned weapons if you have the points for poison.

These opinions are my two pieces of cheese
    Last edited by SheBeast76; December 7th, 2010 at 19:32. Reason: typos, corrections, additions

+ Reply to Thread