<1000 1000 LGS tourney - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

1000 LGS tourney

Participated in a LGS tournament earlier tonight, 1000pt armies, 3 rounds, 12 participants. It was a fairly decent spread of armies: 1 Beastmen, 1 Daemons, 1 High Elves, 1 Lizardmen, 2 Ogres, 1 Goblins, 2 Empire, 1 Skaven (me), 1 VC, and 1 Wood Elves.

I'm still fairly new to the system, and each of my games ended up being the first time facing that particular army. To date, I've faced a novice Beastman, High Elf, and VC army, as well as several competitive Empire (old book) armies.

Here's the list I took:

Grey Seer
    29 Clanrats w/ shields, musician, standard, Warpfire Thrower
    40 Slaverats w/ shields, musician
    40 Slaverats w/ shields, musician
    8 Jezzails
    Warp Lightning Cannon
    Warp Lightning Cannon

Set-up was fairly simple, Clanrats in the center with the Seer, Slaves on both sides of them, Jezzails on one flank, and the Cannons in the corners.

Game 1: Blood and Glory; versus Wood Elves.
    A bit of a poor match-up due to Wood Elves apparently not getting their ward save versus magic attacks. My Jezzails and Cannons concentrated on a unit of 3 Treekin before turning their attention to his 3 units of 10 dryads, which promptly bounced off the Slaves when they finally reached charge range. The game ended on turn 4 when he finally moved his General close enough for me to zap his unit with the Dreaded Thirteenth which wiped them out in one go (my first and only cast of it that game).

Game 2: Watchtower; Versus Daemons.
    My opponent fielded moderately sized units of Horrors (Herald in here) and Bloodletters, with an additional unit of 4 flamers. There was a river across the table next to the tower in the center, I didn't deploy anything inside the tower and my opponent went first. The first two turns, the Horrors and Seer traded blows, with Dwellers Below and Thirteenth. The Seer managed to save on the first and dispel the second attempt but 18 Clanrats were lost, as well as finish off the last of the Horrors and Herald on turn 2 (Giving me a unit of Clanrats in their place).

To my error, I mostly ignored the Flamers (with their shooting, I didn't figure them for being able to fight) which flanked the Slaves that the Bloodletters charged, and though the Slaves lived long enough for the other unit of Slaves to flank the Bloodletters, the Seer failed his third and final attempt at casting Thirteenth.

The combat was lost with the Bloodletters going on to charge and break the Jezzails (though they were down to just the champion and standard by then) and then a cannon, while the Flamers charged and broke the Seer's unit, and then the other Cannon, with the remaining 2 Flamers turning their attention to tower and the converted Clanrats who had garrisoned it at the bottom of Turn 5. The Clanrats passed their break test at the bottom of 7, but failed on Turn 8, giving the Horrors the Tower for the win. The main difficulty I had with the Flamers was my opponent's good luck in continuously making their 4+ ward save.

Having little experience outside Pitched Battle and Dawn Attack scenarios, I was unsure about the game length (figured it was 6); but went with my opponent's suggestion that it lasted until Turn 8. We didn't look it up and see the random game length until after results were submitted, agreeing that knowing that from the beginning would have changed both our tactics and the game completely.

Game 3: Pitched Battle; versus Lizardmen.
    A fairly open battlefield (at least in terms of what was between us), with a Temple of Skulls on my right flank. From my left to right, he deployed a unit of 6 Cold Ones (and his General), a moderate size block of saurus warriors, 10 skinks w/ a priest, and a salamander(?) ...it breathed fire.

He went first with the Cold Ones and Warriors advancing forward about 7-8" inches while the skinks set up on the temple and the salamander marched forward and threw up fire, killing 3 Jezzails. His 2 spells were Iceshards and re-roll 1s, most of the game I usually just threw everything at stopping Iceshards (which targetted my cannons). The Seer killed off 13 Warriors in the first turn, a cannon killed the Salamander, and the other cannon knicked off 3 Cold Ones.

Turn 2, the Warriors advanced forward again to get in range to charge and the Cold Ones failed to charge. The Seer Scorched the warriors killing a few before converting the rest into Clanrats. A cannon killed off the remaining Cold Ones, leaving just the General, while the other cannon exploded.

His General charged my Slaves, 5 Slaves died but the unit held, while the Skinks marched towards the Jezzails. In my turn, The converted Clanrats charged his General in the rear while the other unit of Slaves charged the Skinks. The Seer ended up converting all the Skinks into more Clanrats, while the Slaves finished the game by running down his cold one-mounted General.

Aftermath: The Daemon player took 1st and the High Elf player took 2nd.
    But, my big accomplishment/happenstance for the tournament was the Grey Seer managing not to miscast a single time during any of my attempts at the Dreaded Thirteenth.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Glad to hear your happy with your victories, and accomplishments, even though you didn't come out on top .

I have to admit, even a veteran can learn from new players, as now I have to try shields on my skavenslaves .

I think your list still has room for improvement, as warplock jezzails take up a lot of points, in a small game .

These are my suggestions, my wafflings :

1. Take away 10 models from both skavenslave packs .

2. Take away 4 warplock jezzails .

3. Give the grey seer a warplock pistol .

4. Give the clanrat pack, a clawleader, as he'll accept challenges for the grey seer .

5. A pack of 5 gutter runners, with slings and poisoned attacks .

This is what I'd do, but again, its all just me waffling .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

Thinking on it, at 1k points I may be able to get away with dropping the Jezzails altogether as well as 4 Skavenslaves from each unit and take 2 packs of 5 Gutter Runners to help harass hordes as the cannons seemed to do a well enough job on their own dealing with the heavier units which couldn't be turned into Clanrats.

But as for a Clawleader, I think one would have little point due to most of my opponents not issuing challenges against the Seer and just smack the him in the face with whoever is directly in front of him, so a lot of his survival comes down to avoiding combat altogether by pushing a slave unit slightly in front of the Clanrats and angled diagonally enough to force the enemy to wheel about and expose his flank either to a countercharge or a blast from the warpfire thrower.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Sounds like a plan to me :}

+ Reply to Thread