Skavenbrew? Worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Skavenbrew? Worth it?

So i've been working and reworking my list, and keep coming across the idea of including skavenbrew in my list as I have almost the exact number of points necessary, and a warlock engineer with no wargear. Here are my thoughts:

Positives:
    If used in conjunction with a HQ choice you can have a frenzied unit of clanrats, may not sound like much but accomplishes a few goals. You unit will not panic from shooting, you will have some extra attacks, and may end up frenzied and hatred which is a nice combo for us. If you have the points, and don't have models it fills points nicely.

Negatives:
    Fleeing is one of our greatest assets, skavenbrew could basically negate that from a unit. While fleeing with your lord is not always a great idea, it is incredibly useful if you play a rank and flank army, or bait and switch. Being Frenzied means you may not be able to flee, which could leave you facing down a double blood thirster charge which will suck. Also is the risk for d3 wounds per turn, this will whittle down a units rank bonus which is crucial to our success/ maintaining something of a battle line. While the points of the magic item aren't horrible, their not great either for what they do, it is a significant investment on any character, me personally, i'm not taking it on my Lord as I don't have the spare points as my standard lord kit is: heavy armor, enchanted shield, warpstone amulet, weeping blade... not really any points left.

Closing:
    I neither love the item, nor hate it. It looks incredibly useful, however it comes with some severe negatives that I don't like with the skaven army. Frenzied units are useful, however having a unit of clanrats getting drawn out is not always the best. Not the worst, but not the best. Its points are more than i'd like. It would be great if it was similar costs as a dispel scroll, but then i'd be consider too powerful.

40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Skaven don't fight well enough to have Frenzy actually benefit them. Double the amount of WS-3, Str-3 attacks are still just WS-3 Str-3 attacks. If you put it on stormvermin, they might actually be able to kill something... but they're overpriced to begin with, and a real combat unit will take them to town frenzied or not.

Plus, while you won't flee because you're immune to psych while frenzy, you're actually frenzied. That's a very bad thing for something that can't just wipe out everything it touches. If you become frenzy, expect fast cav to run over in front of you to draw you into charges / flanks, etc.

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by MouseC112 View Post
    So i've been working and reworking my list, and keep coming across the idea of including skavenbrew in my list as I have almost the exact number of points necessary, and a warlock engineer with no wargear. Here are my thoughts:

Positives:
    If used in conjunction with a HQ choice you can have a frenzied unit of clanrats, may not sound like much but accomplishes a few goals. You unit will not panic from shooting, you will have some extra attacks, and may end up frenzied and hatred which is a nice combo for us. If you have the points, and don't have models it fills points nicely.

Negatives:
    Fleeing is one of our greatest assets, skavenbrew could basically negate that from a unit. While fleeing with your lord is not always a great idea, it is incredibly useful if you play a rank and flank army, or bait and switch. Being Frenzied means you may not be able to flee, which could leave you facing down a double blood thirster charge which will suck. Also is the risk for d3 wounds per turn, this will whittle down a units rank bonus which is crucial to our success/ maintaining something of a battle line. While the points of the magic item aren't horrible, their not great either for what they do, it is a significant investment on any character, me personally, i'm not taking it on my Lord as I don't have the spare points as my standard lord kit is: heavy armor, enchanted shield, warpstone amulet, weeping blade... not really any points left.

Closing:
    I neither love the item, nor hate it. It looks incredibly useful, however it comes with some severe negatives that I don't like with the skaven army. Frenzied units are useful, however having a unit of clanrats getting drawn out is not always the best. Not the worst, but not the best. Its points are more than i'd like. It would be great if it was similar costs as a dispel scroll, but then i'd be consider too powerful.
    What points level are you playing at that you would be facing a double Bloodthirster charge? As a second note even if you didn't have frenzy the unit is a loss anyway, your probably not going to outrun something with a 20" movement range, though the fleeing is still efective for every other foot unit you would face. As has been said, frenzy on WS3 Str3 is not that great, Skaven win through static combat rez and flanking, not actual wounds caused.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

The only use I can find for skavenbrew is giving it to a master moulder and sticking him with a unit of rat ogres. This is the only effective use of skavenbrew that I can find, because like said before, I dont think basic skaven dont have enough things going for them to really benefit from frenzy or hatred.

But, for the rat ogre tactic, I actually reccomend it. That unit has saved my sorry butt a few times before(actually it was my grey seers sorry butt.....)

+ Reply to Thread