Want to Start Skaven! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to Start Skaven!

Currently I play tomb kings in 1k point league games. Well tomb kings are rather weak at that level because I HAVE to have a min of 250 char points in characters. I would love to play the numbers game. I was thinking of playing Skaven. A nice healthy core of 100 rats (50 slaves 50 Clanrats) in 4x 25 blocks. March them up with 2x units of posion wind globe guys and peper the enemy while they are enguaged in combat with Jazails, Wind Globes, and magic missiles! Anyways please help a newbie start an army! What units are good and what should I take? I love Jazails and the wind globe guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

If you want a horde army, look no further.

The sort of army you want would probably consist of 3 units of clanrats (20-25 with full command), 3 units of 20 slaves, some Globies, Jezzails, a Chieftain (for Ld), and an Engineer. That would run around 1000 points depending on numbers and how you equip the units. You could probably also fit in some Giant Rats (cheap and speedy flankers), Night Runners (cheap, expendable skirmishers), and maybe even Gutter Runners (tunneling skirmishers, ideal for war machine hunting).

135 rats > 100 and you still have plenty of firepower

To get started, a Battalion or 2 is always a good start. 40 Clanrats, 20 Monks (can be used as slaves or monks or converted into something else), 2 Rat Ogres, and a ton of giant rats. You can do what I did and use the BfSP gobbies and Dwarfs as slaves to save some cash. Unfortunately, Jezzails and PWGs are metal, so you'll have to convert or pay up.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I am going to end up giving up the money. I love the globe throwers and jazails!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

The globadiers are very colorful indeed. It's just too bad they never achieve anything. But, that being said, it does not make them totally useless.

Did you notice the minimum unit size? that's right 2. I always bring as many units of 2 as my mainstay units can let me do so.

Logic behind this? What's worse when deploying against skaven than him droping on the table units of 20 useless rats when you deploy real units? him droping 2 completely useless ones. the best part is, they can block charging lanes and march block. And who knows? maybe at the peak of his career, a globadier just might kill a bretonian knight worth double his points.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, say you move them and have 10, thats a 6 to hit, say you get lucky and hit with 2, then you wound with 1. Thats one dead knight. The next turn you move again and it's a 5 to hit so you hit with 4 and cause 2 wounds. Then the last turn you hit with 5 and cause 3 wounds. I mean you could roll better or worse but hitting his knights or heavys which your rats cannot touch is worth the points to me. Plus they look awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

10 is a bad idea. Ld5 and no way to increase it means you'll be running at the first sight of trouble. Units of 2 or 5 is the way to go. 2 for spamming and forcing your opponent to deploy his army and 5 for actually doing damage.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Globadiers are great fun! I run a unit of 6 or 7 regularly, and deploy them opposite a smallish cavalry unit. The absolute worst that happens is they redirect the unit away from my main force for a couple of turns and it only cost me 60-70 pts to do so. But often there's terrain, too (which is why the cavalry are where they are! nobody wants to get shot by my engineers and jezzails), so I rush the globbies into the terrain, close enough to, at worst, redirect the unit elsewhere for a turn or even two or three. Slow them down. And if they're foolish enough to wander too close, pop 'em out and kill a couple with the globes. Maybe even run them off with a bit of luck.

You can't go wrong with these guys.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with globadiers

Cheap, colourful and fun

Lot's of blocks of troops is usually the way to start,
    but all that modeling and painting can be daunting
    "You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    10 is a bad idea. Ld5 and no way to increase it means you'll be running at the first sight of trouble. Units of 2 or 5 is the way to go. 2 for spamming and forcing your opponent to deploy his army and 5 for actually doing damage.
    Multiple units of four or less models is a tad better to work with. As said, they run at the first sight of trouble and by keeping them under unit strength five, that might save you from some panic tests.

... Add to that, multiple small units of globadiers might suit you well to force your opponent to deploy his key-units sooner.

Greetz
    Borak Says - Pearls of wisdom from the Chaos Lord
    "Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for the help but it seems I may end up going wood elves. I loved the idea of skaven but when i build my list with the Jazails and the globes it would run me a ton of money :-( Thank you all for the help!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast