A couple of questions about Skaven - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

A couple of questions about Skaven

Hello everyone, I am currently a wood elf player with a army of just above 1000 points and I'm going to build up to arround 2000 points. But after that I want to start collecting a second ary aswell, Preferaby one that isent as much ranged based and Skaven still seems intresting (I was thinking them before I got my wood elves, That I got simply cus I got the box and book realy cheep and unused, With basicaly nothing assembled or painted)

Anyways, One of my biggest problems with the skaven are the clanrats and clanrat slaves, From what I'v heard they make up most of the skaven army but unfortunately while most of the skaven army dosent look too bad, The clanrat models look (from the images atleast) Realy bad.. So does anyone know if they are going to change or if there is an alternative to them?

And also, Is it just me or is the Skaven core units both cheeper and better (Stat wise anyway) then the Vampire counts core units? Most all Skaven core are cheeper then VC core, And I looked it up and in most cases Skaven core has the higher numbers on all the stats (M, WS, BS, S, T, W, I, A, LD) I havent checked the special or rare units but, The skaven core dosent seem very bad at all..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes skaven core has better stats than VC, but VC will still generally win due to all their units causing fear, that, and re-raising their damn zombies and skeletons.

Still though, Skaven played right are still a very shooty army, even if you ignore the SAD build, most armies are going to want a unit or two of jezzails to pick off enemy archers or war-machine crews. 36'' is nothing to sneeze at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

So, Skaven are very ranged based aswell? I want a army thats stronger in close combat as my second army since wood elves are already very shooty=P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Skaven are not strong in close combat, skaven win by using different tactics then most armies IE rank and flank, full knowledge of opponents armies, and outnumbering and overwhelming opponents. They are a strong shooting and magic heavy army. If you already play a similar styled army, they may not give you want your looking for. Playing skaven you need to know when to sacrifice an entire unit to force an opponent to over run in an effort to flank them, and try to beat them by combat res and causing minimal wounds. Leadership is a bonus and a hinderence as the army can easily be leadership 10 in some places, and a lowly leadership of 2 in others. It brings a degree of randomness to the game.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a CC army, then look for Daemons, WoC, VC and Brettonia.
    Asking for suggestions without knowing what you're planning on doing is like asking a blind man what color shirt matches your eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Well, Warriors of Chaos, Vampire counts and Bretonia are already in use in our small gaming group and Daemons of chaos dosent realy look very intresting. And i'd rather not play a army someone else in the group already plays. I dnt ind if the army has a few ranged attacks, Thats just nice. Aslong as they are able to go into close combat with light ranged backup

I was thinking of either Skaven or Lizardmen as my second army but I'm still thinking (Got a while left before i reach 2000 points with a good wood elf army. Just played my third match today, This time at 1260 points)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup, you should be Warriors, Daemons, or beast of chaos, Bretonnians and vampires also

---------- Post added at 05:39 ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 ----------

and did you win?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Meep? Oh, Forgot about this topic =P Did i win? Unfortunately not. I'v played 4 matches, Defeated Orcs & Goblins, Lost against Bretonnia and Vampire Counts, And then defeated Warriors of Chaos (With 15 points from a draw)

I still havent chosen my second army though. Will probably be Skaven or Lizardmen. But i heard that Skaven is probably getting a new book this summer with most of the models redone. So if the skaven models looks better (Mostly for the clan rats, So they dont look like mutated monkey things anylonger) I'l likely end up with Skaven. They just sound like such fun to play even if they do seem likely to flee and get crushed by the Vampire Counts (And other fear/terror causing units/armies and many heavily armored foes..)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind the old models, some could get a change though, like stormvermin. The plauge monks still look awesome and rat ogres. I'm going to start skaven too

+ Reply to Thread