warp-grinder tunnulin and fanatics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

warp-grinder tunnulin and fanatics

I understand what the warp-grinder does (basically lets the parent unit tunnel) and I came up with quite the peculiar scenario involving it.

If you scatter into a unit with the warp-grinder-attached unit, it is considered charging that unit. But what happens when that unit so happens to be a goblin squad and has a fanatic in it?

Would the skaven unit hold up to the rules of the fanatics, or do they ignore it?

Last edited by bubby456; November 10th, 2009 at 10:44.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Depends on how the tunnelers arrive. If they appear on the board next to the goblins then the fanatics will be released before anything else happens. If the 'chargers' appear on the board then the fanatics will be released- the curious thing is what happens if the fanatics roll is to little to clear the unit. Do they pop out the otherside anyway as they would with any unit they hit or would the tunnelers count as finishing on top of the fanatics, take an extra thrashing and then destroy the fanatic?
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Yeah, weird situation. I would think you would place the gutters where you would normally place them (lined up on one side of the enemy unit). This appearance activates the fanatics, who can be 'shot' from any side of the unit. The orc player could then decide to 'shoot' them from an unoccupied side, sparing the entire combat from fanatic assault, or 'place' them on the side that the 'charge' has occurred and roll distance. If the distance is high enough, the fanatic makes it through and lives, if not he ends his move in the middle of an enemy and dies. Either way, the fanatic hits that combat, and it will get messed up on both sides. It's the orc players call (although I'd suggest your friend let them hit the combat, gutters > gobbos point-wise).
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

I'd say treat it in a similar way to the way that Gobbos react if attacked by Shadowblade - teh Gutter Runners would have to be lined up against one side of teh gobbo unit, and the fanatic is released as normal by the gobbo player, hitting the gutter runners and then escaping the enemy unit as normal. Any other reaction would be to overly penalise the gobbo player and would open up all sorts of unfair shenanigans...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You see those are all good views on this delema, but the gutter runners do not appear on the board until they are in CC with the goblin unit. So does this mean they still don't get to get into CC with them and they are pushed back 8 inches? (My rules on the fanatics is still sketchy so I'm just basing all of this off of my memory).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

No, the gutter runners appear where they would appear as for any other unit. Then the NG unit releases fanatics. This is different to how it normally works, but seems the best way of doing it. This means you would be less than 8" away at point of release.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtificiallyEnhanced View Post
    No, the gutter runners appear where they would appear as for any other unit. Then the NG unit releases fanatics. This is different to how it normally works, but seems the best way of doing it. This means you would be less than 8" away at point of release.
    But when the unit comes out, its already in combat in this particular situation. So when the unit first appears on the board it is not near the goblin unit but its considered in combat and charging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Yes, it's less than 8" away but I think in this case you need to play it by common sense. At no point are they more than 8" away so as soon as they appear they are released as per usual, the only difference being that the unit is <8" away.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

It's not my intent to sew confusion here but if you wanted to try something as a house rule, bak in the day if a unit 'snuck up' on the goblins (ie, appeared within 8'') then the gobbos would release the fanatics but in random directions. 'twas entertaining, I'm sure.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

As a former Night Goblin-Only Bloo Moon Tribe commander, let me handle this. Whenever an enemy moves within 8" of a night goblin unit with fanatics, everything stops, fanatics start, hilarity ensues. The gutter runners don't hit the table until they have charged. Fine. Distance 0" for the fanatics then. The goblins must release fanatics. They pick a direction (I would pick the one with enemies in it, personally) Fanatics go that direction that many inches, dealing d6 str 5 AP hits to any unit it moves through. If it stops in the middle of a unit, place it 1" behind that unit.

Why is this so confusing? Rats pop up and take 1-3 fanatics to the face? The night goblin unit wouldn't get hit by their own fanatics just because they are in close combat unless a fanatic was travelling through the skaven the other way. That is to say, the fanatic was headed towards the goblins rather than away from them.

+ Reply to Thread