Topic of the Week - Clanrats - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Topic of the Week - Clanrats

This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is Clanrats.

What is the best unit size for them? Are the weapon teams worth their cost? Should you give them spears or use shields instead?

Discuss.

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehehehehehe. Well, coming from a Skaven player.....

A lot of it as always depends on rule #1, which is it depends on what Army you are facing.

Clan Rat's can serve as a good core unit, as a mainstay of your army, or pushing the Screaming Bell, to be sure. If you are facing a shooting army, then your clan rat units need to be as large as you can allow, as you are going to need it in order to counter attrition.

If you are going up against little shooting or no shooting at all armies, then you unit does not need to be as big.

One of the best things about weapons teams (warpfire throwers, ratling guns, etc) is that they are generally move-or-shoot, but they do make up for it on the grounds that if you get charged, they have the chance of stopping an enemy charge on their parent unit if A) they get in the way, or if they do enough damage to stop the charge. I once stopped a 9 strong Empire Knight charge in the flank with a warpfire thrower that killed 3 and caused a panic test; similarly I have seen the Ratling gun nearly wipe out a Lizardman Terradon attack in the flank as well.

as far as equipment goes, it depends on their purpose. Obviously you should be using slaves to serve as fodder/missle shields/speed bumps. So your clan rat's if they are your mainstay of your army, should rely on them to soak up damage first, in which case, shields or spears do have their advantage.

Assasins whenever possible, they have won many a battle for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

For me it's usually 30 strong with muso+standard and shields at 2k+ (i got 25 strong for units that i plan to just babysit a grey seer/bsb)
    At under 2k it's 25 strong with muso+standard and shields. I find champions to be pointless for me these days as i don't run a warlord and so it's beneficial if i can decline challenges and move to the back. I usually use mine in groups to support each other with flank charges, or i run them with a minimum 5rats1packmaster unit to flank and deny the enemy ranks while the clannies hit the front.

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

I find that 30 Clanrats work best. I have 2 units, each with a M,SB and C and shields. One unit has a Ratling Gun and spears, and one unit doesn't and has a Warpfire Thrower instead. They cost 225 points each and both together cost 450 points. They are worth their value. Although, beware of being charged in the rear or flank, because they don't get to use the two ranks of spears or rank bonus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clanrats are the bread and butter for our army. However, their obvious weaknesses must be accounted for, namely leadership. Put them in large blocks for protection and preferably with a character nearby to prevent them from panicking. However, if facing Vampire Counts or Tomb Kings, even this might not be enough. Has anyone found an effective way to deal with VC and TKs?

LO's thread lurker warhammer madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x2)

Clanrats for me are used solely to generate ranks/outnumber in combats including heavier hitters.

However recently in a torneament I found that units of 29 with a mus and shields are great bunkers for chars (who of corse run away from said units once I feel magic missles and cannons are nuetrilized).

I just feel with censors and furnes/bell units that the need for medium infantry is almost gone. People no longer look at a unit of 30 rats as a threat instead they look at it as an exstra 100VP's for a banner (or at least that is my exsperience in my store full of deamons and Dark elves). This situation means that they now rest in a more support role (you will need to chuck in a unit of Censors or a doomwheel to win a combat) or as exstra protection for characters.
    click>the warhammer world needs you!<click

If someone helps you REP them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I have to disagree with whoever said it depends on the army you are facing. Mostly because i feel it serves the game better for people to make all-comer lists, not ones tailor made against specific opponents.

As for the topic at hand, I run mine either 25 or 30 strong, with shields and full command. I also dont tend to bother with weapon teams, they are costly when compared to the cost of the parent unit itself and I think people can try to rely on their weapons teams a bit too much sometimes (I.E. failing to move at a critical juncture because they want that extra round of ratling gunfire.)
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I use my clanrats in groeps of 25 with a detachment of 20 slaves. My clanrats are equipped with shield and have full command, my slaves have shields and musician. Always a weapon team(mostly ratling gun)

This is my battlefrond 3x 25 clanrats and 3x20 slaves.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Humanoid Typhoon View Post
    I have to disagree with whoever said it depends on the army you are facing. Mostly because i feel it serves the game better for people to make all-comer lists, not ones tailor made against specific opponents.

As for the topic at hand, I run mine either 25 or 30 strong, with shields and full command. I also dont tend to bother with weapon teams, they are costly when compared to the cost of the parent unit itself and I think people can try to rely on their weapons teams a bit too much sometimes (I.E. failing to move at a critical juncture because they want that extra round of ratling gunfire.)
    I quite agree, and have eliminated weapon teams from my army, I'd rather spend the points on a front wave of skaven slaves
    I'm really starting to appreciate the horde rule, and run mine as 40+ units, (about 52 is ideal, with where the litter bourne general goes getting more "spares" to soak up the inevitable targeting of magic or artillery fire)

Shields are an exellent choice, as not only does it increase your saves but gives a 6+ invun "parry" save can turn the tide against a rank of trolls/strong units who will dish out wounds, but won't have rank or standard (or often musician)

Full command:
    Seperate the hero and champion so if one's in base contact with the opponent's champion and a challenge is issued you can remove whoever's in base contact and put them at the back - you won't even lose leadership. If your hero's not bad (but not up to the challenge) you can then always accept the challenge with the champion freeing up the hero to whack the opposing unit. Assassains are best for issuing challenges on a surprised unit carrying a mage / shaman / wounded Lord (The high init helps here alot)

Spears tend to be a bit expensive in that number, it will give you a extra rank but not if you charge, and the temptation to make the wrong decision backs that up and you're getting three ranks anyway. The rear rank only needs 5 men, but you may soak up magic and missile fire, if not the first round of combat's fighting casualties.

The weapon teams
    They do count as a unit for placement, and i'd prefer to take a skavenslave unit with slings as a screening, firing, exploding screen (or possibly flanking)
    Combat teams (or close range ones) may well be killed by a exploding pack of slaves also (even if close to the parent unit for the ward save - it'd 50/50 on just one wound)

Poisoned Wind Mortar
    The nice range, and 4+/5+ make this good, your teams have to keep up with the clanrats otherwise, let alone in front (next to slaves in front works well, and if it blows up who cares?) It's the small template anyway. shooting at units in combat with slaves, esp knights is also good in the unlikely event they hold.

Warpfire Thrower
    The most expensive but devastating, especially with stand and shoot
    However, it also is worth the extra for the humor of Fuel Leak.

Ratling Gun
    Low cost, high fire (if you wish to push your luck so far), I'd recommend 2 dice, 3 if you roll very low.
    (-, 1/6, 1/2, then so bad there really is no point unless you don't mind where it faces or you're rolling so low you don't mind extra shots at a lower str.)
    Great for shooting knights (foot or mounted), esp when charged, but can also hang back plugging away to some effect if got in quantity.

Doom-flayer
    Cheap, nice attacks (and save) but no model, unless you feel like converting something so intricate for a horde army - there's prob some out there using the wfb chimney pot and alot of spikes, maybe a washing powder "bowl" or similar/tennis ball?). To be investigated after initial converting is complete.
    Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; October 20th, 2010 at 23:25.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

My favorite opinions are...

1. At 2000pts, my clanrat packs are 30 models strong. Under that, my packs are 25 models strong. I'll drop to 20 models if playing a small game at 1000pts.

2. Always a full command.

3. I've fallen in love with the "hand weapon & shield" combo. I find that 6+ ward save in CC, is just too dang useful.

4. I've used the weapon teams before, but have now dropped their use for rare choices or an extra warlock engineer with the trimmings. I do prefer the warpfire thrower, and the ratling gun, as you can "stand and shoot" as a charge reaction.
    Last edited by SheBeast76; March 11th, 2011 at 14:36. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread